Thread: Portrait of a Homeland Security State

Post Portrait of a Homeland Security State

A new book by the award-winning photojournalist Nina Berman probes how the U.S. homeland security apparatus stokes fantasies about war.

Nina Berman is an award-winning documentary photographer with a keen interest in America's social and political landscape. Her first book, Purple Hearts: Back From Iraq, is a collection of portraits and interviews of wounded soldiers who have returned home. Her photograph of a severely disfigured Iraq veteran and his bride on their wedding day won the World Press Photo competition for portraiture in 2006.

Berman's new book, Homeland, depicts the evolution of the "American security state" from 2001 to 2007. Berman traveled around the country, photographing gun shows, SWAT team training, a public military academy for juvenile delinquents and endless drills and simulations designed to prepare Americans of all ages to respond to someone's idea of a terrorist attack. Berman began the project after the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

Photo Slideshow Included........ http://www.alternet.org/waroniraq/107800/

This is america, a police state could never come here....

Germans had the same mind set

Quote Originally Posted by FMD View Post
    This is america, a police state could never come here....

Germans had the same mind set
    We've reached the "point of no-return" as far as punishing any war criminals;Politicians and industrialists who've brought about a fascist state in America.

As far as martial law, the union of the U.S., Canada and Mexico all enforced by armed-to-the-teeth military and law enforcement personel,
    its not "IF" but "WHEN?"

In fact, I'm wondering WHY the original copies of the Declaration Of Independence and the Constitution have not been burned on national TV yet...

So--------"Don't worry! Be happy!"
    About WHAT?!

It COULD happen here and if one's willing to look at the painful, ugly truth-It IS happening here.

There have not been bailouts of major industries or immediate assistance programs for the American people because part of the "plan" is for everything to go to S, so government can
    "come to the rescue" when the time is right;When we NEED them the most and literally BEG them for a full fascist, big brother regime, just to survive, to feel "safe" albeit with ZERO privacy.

Yes, I know how often I'm negative and truth be told, I'd rather sing the praises of government & industry but I'm not a mindless zombie sheep who "expects things to get worse BEFORE they get better."
    I only expect things to get WORSE
    and
    God almighty I truly hope I am wrong.

***The Amero under a union of the United States, Mexico and Canada has been in the LEGAL works for a while now;On NETWORK TV like CNN.
    NOT the stuff of "conspiracy" and "idle speculation."
    Coincidence is the word we use when we can't see the levers and pulleys.

Emma Bull

Quick addendum:

I truly mourn for those who've already lived through ONE great depression,
    those who have fought for our freedoms in WW I, Korea, Viet Nam, the Persian Gufl I, the Iraq and Afghanastan Wars
    and those who survived the Holocaust-IF the rumors of internment camps in the United States are somehow true.

So many sacrifices brushed aside for a quick buck, the "high of power" and ruling over the "unimportant little people" because
    "we know what's best for the rest of you peons."

Emma Bull

Not just Homeland security or as I like to call it the HSS. Now the DOD has taken control of the National Guard why? Is it so when the people have had enough they can put us down?

I thought I was doing the right thing when I joined the military a long long time ago...It was a whole different country then and I loved my country.

Now I see it as the things I thought I was fighting against many years ago and I try to raise warning flags anyway I can.

I alway keep hearing those words in my head "Those who fail to learn from history are destined to repeat it!
    Even Dictators have to respect the will of the pawns, for without their obedience, they have no power at all!

Quote Originally Posted by MartoQ View Post
    Not just Homeland security or as I like to call it the HSS. Now the DOD has taken control of the National Guard why? Is it so when the people have had enough they can put us down?

I thought I was doing the right thing when I joined the military a long long time ago...It was a whole different country then and I loved my country.

Now I see it as the things I thought I was fighting against many years ago and I try to raise warning flags anyway I can.

I alway keep hearing those words in my head "Those who fail to learn from history are destined to repeat it!
    Thank you for serving but although your quote is intelligently expressed, it is untrue as I alluded to in another post (on another thread?)
    "Those who fail to learn from history are destined to repeat it!"
    Those who stole two elections, treat America's citizens like cattle, who've led us into war, torture, a totally avoidable depression an don-Those who are carefully;Methodically and solidly consolidating power for the inevitable police state-These sociopaths HAVE learned history's lessons;That's WHY they're doing such a fantastic job of destroying the good while gaining control with little to no resistance from Congress let alone the populace.

One of the things I heard that makes perfect sense is that hitler's METHOD of conquest and his failure was because it was TOO FAST and of course, TOO VIOLENT (too fast) as has been the case of one failed dictator after another.
    The fascism we now live in has been SLOW and "creeping";Almost unnoticable (thank you again, media who've cooperated fully W/ the govt & corporate scum).
    Its WAY too late for mass protests, mass riots;A near flawless system of "checks and balances" to keep amassing power currently exists
    That's why although I SEE and HEAR the police/surveillance/fascist state in which we've entered (early stages),
    I know damned well that I can do ZIP. NOTHING. I abhor, despise and loathe what America has become and is turning-"Worsening" into but in my own bizarre way to keep a semblance of peace of mind,
    I ACCEPT what's going on as much as I like anyone who loves the U.S. dream of "the good old days."

And another quote applicable to fascism is "we're just following orders";Those whose every day "vigilance" and actions have allowed fascims to prosper & flourish in "the freest nation on the Earth:
    Every agent of law enforcement on all levels, all of our armed service, the scummy mercenaries from Blackwater and other corporate "security firms"

Which brings to mind a quote I've come to HATE-"May you be cursed to live in interesting times," that clever ol' Chinese proverb-Well, THESE times are WAAAAAY too "interesting" and living in these times IS a "curse," so send my ass back to 1950 when "times were less interesting!"

Emma Bull

Ya Id rather live in the 50's than today. Even though id lose all my cool technology gadgets, life was way more simple, and the dictatorship wasnt quite in motion just yet.

Thread Information