Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thanksgiving: What Do You do?

Unregistered

Thanksgiving: What Do You do?

What do you do for Thanksgiving?

Do you stay home or travel?

Do you gather with family and/or friends?

Do you make a glutton out of yourself?

Do you have a dysfunctional family member that takes some of the fun out of the holiday?

Or, is it the dysfunction within your family that makes family get togethers a good time?

I cook like a maniac! Turkey, of course, but also two types of stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, homemade Parker House rolls, plus other homemade breads, green beans and carrots. Homemade gravy, which usually ends up lacking so I cheat and use a pre-made mix.

And then there are the pies: Graham/Pecan crusted pumpkin pie, deep dish apple pie and pecan pie.

Three days worth of cooking. By the time we eat, I can barely eat a mouthful before going upstairs and collapsing in bed.

For me, that's a great thanksgiving. Our family is all in California, so we rarely see them. But two of them will be here this year, plus my son's girlfriend. So it's going to be a crazy/fun few days.

Thanks for asking!

I break out my special bottle of Wild Turkey Go to the house of a Friend eat and drink like fools. In fact is close to thanksgiving I think I will start right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfing USA View Post
    What do you do for Thanksgiving?
    eat and long for the couch but that's usually hogged by football fans

Do you stay home or travel?
    Travel. Sometimes a 10 hour drive. That's the fun Thanksgiving where it is mostly vacation.

Do you gather with family and/or friends?
    Family and friends. Some of my family are also my friends
    Do you make a glutton out of yourself?
    Oh, absolutely! It's Thanksgiving!
    Do you have a dysfunctional family member that takes some of the fun out of the holiday?
    I haven't seen the dysfunctional side in a few years. I came to the conclusion that if I were dating them we would have broken up after my first birthday. So, we broke up. They still call me when they need something, and I still bend over backward for them because they are my family, I just don't seek pleasure and happy family moments from them.
    Or, is it the dysfunction within your family that makes family get togethers a good time?

The dysfunction in my family makes for good case studies and lessons on what not to do.
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

Unregistered

Native Americans

I honor Native Americans.

How can there be laws in a land that has already been stolen?

Live Free or Die Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does not mean that much to you to mean too much to me!

I spend each Thanksgiving with my extended family. I have never traveled out of WNY. We eat the same foods that we had when we were little kids. It sounds strange, but making a turkey in my own oven makes me feel like a grown up. I think thanksgiving is a wonderful holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
    I spend each Thanksgiving with my extended family. I have never traveled out of WNY. We eat the same foods that we had when we were little kids. It sounds strange, but making a turkey in my own oven makes me feel like a grown up. I think thanksgiving is a wonderful holiday.
    I love Thanksgiving too. It's absolutely my favorite holiday. Christmas is distant second.

Last year we had dinner at Paula Dean's restaurant, "Lady and Son's", in Savannah, GA. Good food, great time, even after a two hour wait for a table. This year something a little closer to home, Salvatore's Italian Gardens.
    If it weren't for the United States Military, there would be NO United States of America !

justKel
    My family used to have dinner together, my two sisters and I and my parents. But about 10 years ago there was a big family rift and my oldest sis disowned everyone but me. Then there was a big rift between my father and I a couple of years ago partially having to do with my defending oldest sis, so now I don't do holidays with them anymore, I always have holidays with oldest sis and her family. This year it's just us two, sans SO's and I'm not sure what we're doing. Usually we have a big get-together with all the kids and SO's and their family, but this year neither of us will have kids or SO's....

Unregistered

Home Meals

Yeah, home meals with family is becoming a thing of the past!

I find it funny when my family in NYC is too lazy to cook and just go to a diner! How nuts!!!!

Spend it mom/dad and the out-laws.

Garbage can turkey.

Watch football.

Relax.

I never said I had no idea about most of the things you said I said I had no idea about.

Fish on!!!! Give me the day off from work and I'm steelhead fishing. I eat turkey year round so this day is more of free pass for fishing instead of big dinners or working. Hopefully the weather cooperates!

Quote Originally Posted by Steiny View Post
    I honor Native Americans.

How can there be laws in a land that has already been stolen?
    How, exactly, do you honor them?

Unregistered

Thanksgiving

Staying away from the whole negative Pilgrim and Indian thing.

I just honor family and all to be thankful for. That is the point. South Dakota does not have Columbus Day. They do Native American day instead.

justKel
    Quote Originally Posted by Steiny View Post
    Staying away from the whole negative Pilgrim and Indian thing.
    How is Thanksgiving negative in that context? The indians and pilgrims got along at that point. There was peace. Seems like a positive thing to me.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information