Thread: school taxes going up again

Unregistered

Angry school taxes going up again

I see Lancaster, Frontier, & Orchard Park schools
    taxes are going up again. what else is new ?
    for example. Lancaster spending is up 8.7 % which
    comes out to 6.6 % increase. I think people just
    got done swallowing the 100% recessments. Its gonna
    be a big jump in taxes.

We still have to vote on these increases, don't we? At least in Lancaster we do.

Notice how conveniently they didn't mention when the school budget voting is?

By the way, most of the increases go to teacher's pension increases according to the article I read in the Buffalo News. The School Board had to cut some athletics and music budgets so the teachers can make sure their precious pensions are fully funded.

If the taxpayers don't scream and holler over this, then we are a lot dumber than the politicans we've elected!
    "...give me Liberty or give me a beer and I'll think about it awhile..."

With the exception of the City of Buffalo, all municipalities vote on their school budgets. I believe voting on school budgets is May 17 throughout WNY.

Jennifer, the word is "reassessment". There was a series articles on the Speakupwny home page about reassessment, what it means, why it's happening, etc, etc.
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

op super hires a public relations man and lays off teachers

Just what we asked for He claims. his teachers aqsked for a public relations man not us. he also laid off some teachers and then claims the sixth gradfe os over crowded.lay of the public relations guy and get another sixth grade teacher or better yet remove ten or twenty principles
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Originally posted by Son of Liberty
    We still have to vote on these increases, don't we? At least in Lancaster we do.

Notice how conveniently they didn't mention when the school budget voting is?

By the way, most of the increases go to teacher's pension increases according to the article I read in the Buffalo News. The School Board had to cut some athletics and music budgets so the teachers can make sure their precious pensions are fully funded.

If the taxpayers don't scream and holler over this, then we are a lot dumber than the politicans we've elected!
    We can start up another petition. The stuff is in place... We just need the corret people the send the emails and let them get the point..

Cool Voting

Just so you know! Lets say you do Vote the increase down, You will lose all athletic , after school programs, no building use after school what so ever and and the budget will go into affect anyways....

THIS IS NEW YORK STATE LAW that this will happen.....(fact)

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Lets start a petition which changes the rules. The petition will be based on over compenstation of government employees. Sounds fair to me.

moonshine
    Lets start a petition
    Better yet, withhold your children from school. Are you serious about change or is this thread just a way to express your frustration? What would the public school system do if nobody showed up?

Petitions are great for feel-good rallies and non-starter causes, but they have no effect on the political body. Signing a petition is like doing "the wave" at a football game without exserting the energy to stand on your feet.

Those who truly want to change the system must remove their children from public school. It might be painful but it is the only long-term cure to the disaster of public schools.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Better yet, withhold your children from school. Are you serious about change or is this thread just a way to express your frustration? What would the public school system do if nobody showed up?
    THey would do nothing. I bet thier contract states it makes no difference if there are kids in the classroom or not they still get paid.

I'm convinced the only way to stop the school budget increase problem is to get involved the day after the budget is passed. You absolutely must get access to the spending records and start publishing them. By the time the "proposed" budget is announced, it is too late because, as a previous poster mentioned, a contingency budget is mandated and it always excludes the emotional items you desire while retaining all the fat elsewhere.

School districts are bloated. Class sizes are too small. There are way too many "counselors". There are too many school buildings and too much staff.

/Oh wait, I'm wrong. Let's spend more. God knows, nobody from those states with lower school budgets ever gets into college. All college students are from WNY because we're so much better.

/sarcasm off

But you don't understand, "it's for the children" !!!

Maybe there should be a student "retirement fund" because "god" knows the money we throw at "education" is money wasted.

Ever wonder how many retired teachers live out of state and laugh on their way to the bank to cash/deposit their retirement check every month?? Or are they smart enough to have "direct deposit"???
    "What the hell is going on?"

Re: Voting

Originally posted by CheektowagaFan
    Just so you know! Lets say you do Vote the increase down, You will lose all athletic , after school programs, no building use after school what so ever and and the budget will go into affect anyways....
    THIS IS NEW YORK STATE LAW that this will happen.....(fact)
    Exactly! This is why school budgets should be voted on by line item, not as a whole.

I lived in Williamsville several years back and the budget was voted down. Well, the contingency budget went into effect and it was more that the budget that was voted down!
    "...give me Liberty or give me a beer and I'll think about it awhile..."

Originally posted by WNYresident
    THey would do nothing. I bet thier contract states it makes no difference if there are kids in the classroom or not they still get paid.
    State aid dollars are tied to attendance. I don't know what the contracts say, but if the kids aren't there, neither is anything but our local tax dollars.

As for the budget vote, how many districts have the info available in a time frame reasonable enough for people to actually look at? Maryvale was supposed to have their info available early this week, but I haven't been able to get my hands on anything.
    Linda
    ==========================

I don't want to move, I want to make a difference.

Thread Information