Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am one of the Candidates

I am one of the Candidates

Hello; I have been following this forum for some time as I have debated, and ultimately made the decision to run for legislator (District 9).

On many counts the prospects of running are intimidating. Many of you have expressed thoughts and concerns which highlight the intimidating factors, but here I am.

Now that the 'roster' has been announced, I feel it is appropriate to continue the process of introducing myself and exploring our mutual ideas.

If you want to talk, I will do my best to answer your questions and respond to your comments.

Cindy

Begins with S between Eggertsville and Williamsville

GOOD LUCK....

BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!!!
    Christopher Byrd
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    http://indabuff.com
    http://broadwayfillmorealive.org

How about a few practice questions. Not to give you a hard time, but to help with some of the things the public will be asking.

Why do you think you'd be a better candidate than the incumbant?

What are your credentials in running for office/maintaining a government office?

Hello NightOwl,

YOU ASKED:

1. Why do you think you'd be a better candidate than the incumbant?

ANSWER:

In my district the incumbant voted affirmatively for each of the three sales tax increases at each opportunity presented. I believe that voting to increase any tax in WNY was premature or worse, irresponsible under the circumstances. I have never heard any evidence to the effect that any form of 'due diligence' was suggested or undertaken by my legislator as a basis for his vote. Instead, it played as a bow to the party line without regard to long term consequences. I do not believe in taking uncontemplated actions in my work. My position is that until waste and patronage in county government employment and administration has been revealed and eliminated increasing taxes is disingenuous.

Further, in all the coverage of the controversy, I never once heard of my legislator taking a stand or offering any explanations or analysis of the crisis.

YOU ASKED:

2. What are your credentials in running for office/maintaining a government office?

ANSWER:

Part 1: If by "running for office" you mean campaigning in any prior primary or general election, my answer is that I do not have credentials in campaigning for any elective position. I am in all respects a neophyte to the process of campaigning for public service. However, it is my understanding of the democratic and representative forms of government that having such prior experience or credentials is not a prerequisite. My expectation is that PC will provide the advisory support and guidance required to ensure that I manage campaign finance, media relations and petition drives professionally and without misstep.

Part 2: My understanding of the role of legislator is that it is primarily a legislative (or lawmaking function). I would understand this question better if the position I was seeking executive or administrative in nature. In fact, I do not expect to be responsible for maintaining a government office such as that of a DA, Sheriff, Comptroller or Executive. My expectation would be that any support office that I would have would be somewhat lean and focused on the legislative process and constituent communications more than anything else.

Insofar as serving in a legislative capacity, I believe I am highly qualified to serve. In my 15 year career as an attorney with the NFTA (which is a public benefit corporation), I provided legal advice in such relevant matters as open meetings law, freedom of information act, state rulemaking procedures, rules of order, and government procurement.

I have spent the last (almost) 5 years of my career as corporate counsel in an intense competitive privately owned manufacturing holding company. I am well accustomed performing under stress and delivering credible/workable solutions to complex problems and time-sensitive crises.

NightOwl, thankyou for giving me this opportunity to practice!

Cindy

It's good that you have thrown yourself into a shark tank of a message board. People here are very critical (yes, I admit myself included) and if you can make it here, it's good practice for what's out there.

two strikes

strike one attorney
    strike two NFTA
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

Hello granpabob;

I am curious.

What is it about my education, degree or work history that you feel count as strikes? Or is it that your apparent assumptions about my character, ethics and integrity allow you to assess me so dismissively?

Cindy

Good luck to you.

And thanks for opening yourself up to public scrutiny; I wish all of our candidates would do the same. I don't think they're ducking anything. But they need to get moving. Pretty soon people will start thinking of the beach and vacations a lot more than the County Legislature.

Which, in ordinary times, is probably the right priority.

Cindy

I too give you credit for opening yourself up like this, and I wish you luck, and hope you have fun.

As far as the 2 strikes go;

The lawyer thing is actually a plus in my book. I'm not a lawyer basher. I've known a ton of lawyers in my life, and most are intelligent, hard-working people.

The NFTA thing, I'm not sure of. Isn't the NFTA part of the "system" that PC is supposedly battling? In fact (tell me if I'm wrong here), but doesn't PC compatriot Jim Ostrowski actually call for doing away with the NFTA?

What is it about my education, degree or work history that you feel count as strikes? Or is it that your apparent assumptions about my character, ethics and integrity allow you to assess me so dismissively?

IMO & a little friendly advise- don't reverse the questions when someone says something. It looks too defensive, use that (what is said) to create a response. I have been watching/asking politicians questions for quite a few years now and they seldom reverse to asking their constituents questions. You are selling you as the product, you have overcome the objectives.

IE- In my years of education...."

In my career I've learned..."

Politicians are not questioners, they are talkers and talkers.

Spend time watching what the incumbants do and follow their pattern of how they interact/react to a person's response.

You are a politician now and just like the ones who have served more than one term, you're going to face the same sense of scrutiny, more so because you're "new" to the game.

Don't take what is said personally, but use it to express further on how you're a better candidate than the incumbant.

Cindy, it is spelled "incumbent"

Thank you for coming on this board and throwing yourself before the wolves. As the old adage goes, "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger"; if you can survive here for a few months, you'll be a winner!

Having said that, let me ask you a question:
    If elected, what would you do (specifically) to reduce the expenditure associated with the County legislature?

And as far as your background is concerned, it doesn't bother me at all that you're a lawyer or from the NFTA; as it shouldn't. If Gramps is so bothered, he's free to run himself and provide a better platform.

my bad

Cindy

What's your position on a county real estate tax increase?

And what impact will you have regarding the public labor unions' current relationship with the county?

Thanks

First off, Kristop, biker and therising... thankyou for your kind wishes... that is much appreciated.

Hacktivist, I am embarrassed by my spelling error , but thank you for the gentle correction, seems to me that some things I used to know... I no longer know

NightOwl, while I appreciate that I have much to learn here (any forum has its own etiquette and personalities), and in the campaign, I do take issue with a few of your observations.

1. In response to your direct questions to me, I gave what I believe were direct and descriptive answers. I did not pose a singe reverse question to you.

2. In contrast to you and some of the other posters, granpabob, asked me no questions, but merely made cryptic observations that in good conscience I could not leave unchallenged. I viewed that post as an invitation to a dialogue that I was to join. In my opinion, this forum can offer the opportunity to exchange POVs and learn. So, I disagree that at times my probing of another's statements or opinions is wrong. In fact, I would imagine, if all I did was to pontificate and not question and listen (which are in fact, elements of a conversation), some would lump me with all the other politicians who function as narcissistic windbags.

3. And finally, I cannot emphasize enough that I have no desire to be a politician (as that term is commonly understood in this day and age). My purpose is propose myself as an alternative to the norm and to offer another choice to the voters in my District. I may or may not be selected by the registered democrats to appear on the general ballot, or then by the majority of all voters in my District in the general election. IF not, I go on with my life as it was before 4/15/05, knowing that I answered the call in my own heart to try and make a difference, after years of feeling impotent and voiceless. I imagine in that case this experience will have taught me many lessons about life and myself, and all will be good.

If I am selected, then I will be in public service (on a part time basis as I will continue to work in my current job), for a short period of time.

Cindy

Originally posted by therising
    Cindy

The NFTA thing, I'm not sure of. Isn't the NFTA part of the "system" that PC is supposedly battling? In fact (tell me if I'm wrong here), but doesn't PC compatriot Jim Ostrowski actually call for doing away with the NFTA?
    Hello therising;

Thankyou for the BOD on my work experience at the NFTA. I cant answer your question as to whether PC (or Len Roberto) specifically views the NFTA as part of the system that is being challenged, but i would suspect you are right. I also think you are right the FREEBuffalo's Jim Ostrowski does want the NFTA "dissolved", but i only have that opinion based on a snippet I heard on am radio one day.

Regardless, I have not been employed by the NFTA since 9/2000. Further, I did not obtain my job through having a single political or party 'connection'. I interviewed for the position and was offered the position based on my credentials and qualifications. During my employment I never pursued or changed my degree of political activity.

Contrary to my NFTA experience being a taint, I view it as a benefit. I was a political and party outsider, giving me the opportunity to observe as an outsider the realities and frustrations of government bureaucracy. I know what it looks like and how it survives. I think I know what to look for and how to reveal the disease that is compromising our county government.

Cindy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information