Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drugs & Addicts

Drugs & Addicts

I spoke with a top police official who informed me that the drug addiction problem is throughout WNY, especially amongst the youth. The biggest problem is that the kids are turning away from prescription drugs as they're too expensive & turning to the much cheaper, highly addictive & destructive drug heroin. Heroin ounce for ounce is supposed to be the second most addictive drug (nicotine, ounce for ounce is far more addictive, legal in cigarets, etc.) & is killing our youth, costing millions for courts, hospitals, lawyers, counseling, it's a black eye here in WNY & across the country. It's not what the "inner city" is all about, as the suburban youth (& yes adults) come into the inner city to buy, but now the suburbs are fronts for many drug buying experiences. We here at SUWNY want our community safer, better, but this is a major problems, any solutions out there that we can do to help make our community battle this epidemic?
    And He said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. Mark 16:15
    www.onlinemedia.net - www.vinyl-graphics.com

It has been this problem for many years - since the 1960's "free love" days. The ONLY answer is Jesus Christ - love God and trust Him! But we threw Him out of our public institutions, and no wonder it is so rampant today. Crusty, rust infested, greedy, selfish adults surely do not give our kids hope...
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

Ha! Yes that is the answer. Are you freaking serious? That is the stupidest answer for this problem I could ever imagine. A real answer would be proper parenting and enhanced law enforcement. Having some imaginary deity will work just fine too. That'll fix it all nice.

"Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it."

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Broughton View Post
    It has been this problem for many years - since the 1960's "free love" days. The ONLY answer is Jesus Christ - love God and trust Him! But we threw Him out of our public institutions, and no wonder it is so rampant today. Crusty, rust infested, greedy, selfish adults surely do not give our kids hope...

Quote Originally Posted by Numero Uno View Post
    Ha! Yes that is the answer. Are you freaking serious? That is the stupidest answer for this problem I could ever imagine. A real answer would be proper parenting and enhanced law enforcement. Having some imaginary deity will work just fine too. That'll fix it all nice.

"Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it."
    Jesus is the way, truth, & life, but not all believe in Him. What can we do, as individuals or groups to really put a dent into this problem? One I think may be legalizing marijuana or certain things like making them ordinance violations as long as you're not dealing or growing, any other ideas?
    And He said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. Mark 16:15

So if I don't believe in any religion, I am by default hopeless and any argument I have is without merit? That is lunacy.
    Addiction is curable. People get addicted because of the feeling they get and they just want to feel it more often, eventually the body develops a tolerance and sometimes a dependency on the drug. If you have ever watched someone in withdrawals you will see that religion has nothing to do with it, science does. Religion is a way to guilt someone into changing their behavior when they are otherwise unsupervised. We have nothing to fear, but fear itself.
    Drugs cause delusions and hallucinations.
    Hallucination = religion
    If I met you on the street, you would never know I am an anti religious person because I hold myself responsible for my actions and I don't want to offend myself by mistreating someone. On the other hand, I see so called religious people that are the most disrespectful people I have ever met. I don't break laws like so called religious people, and I live a more moral existence because I hold myself to a higher responsibility than others. If people believed in themselves they wouldn't need a religion to fall back on. People always break the law and say the devil took advantage of them in a moment of weakness, but it is actually because they had so little respect for themselves that they allowed themselves to make a poor decision. Religion is the get out of jail free card for when you have made a poor decision (I repent).

Numerous, I believe any point you make or opinion is valid. I wrote in my beliefs that it's easier in "my world" with Jesus too, as Frank believes, but I wrote not all believe in Jesus, so by what means do we address the problem here in WNY? It's a HUGE problem, I have 10 nephews, 4 are recovering addicts, 4! That's 40%, way too much, I don't know the other percentages as a whole, nut here at SUWNY we want our region better, & drugs aren't helping our "image", so I'd just like to hear folk's potential ideas & solutions, your points are most welcome!

Heroin saw a huge decrease in use through the 90's, but it's rampant now. A friend of mine, I recently found out was a habitual Heroin user for 16 years. He was telling me back then, a rehab center was primarily alcoholics. The program he just finished which, hopefully, will have him on the road to being drug free was 98% Heroin addicts. It's everywhere here in Peoria, even eclipsing crack use. It's sad. Looks like Peoria isn't isolated, though
    Let me articulate this for you:
    "I'm not locked in here with them. They're locked in here with me!!"
    HipKat's Blog

Quote Originally Posted by HipKat View Post
    Heroin saw a huge decrease in use through the 90's, but it's rampant now. A friend of mine, I recently found out was a habitual Heroin user for 16 years. He was telling me back then, a rehab center was primarily alcoholics. The program he just finished which, hopefully, will have him on the road to being drug free was 98% Heroin addicts. It's everywhere here in Peoria, even eclipsing crack use. It's sad. Looks like Peoria isn't isolated, though
    From what I have read and been told by cops I know is prescription drugs are the cause of this.

Guy hurts his back at work - goes on pain pills - becomes addicted.

Pain pills run out - doctor will not prescribe - find heroin.

It's to the point where I know several folks who have tried to not use narcotic pain pills if they have surgery or the like. Too easy to fall down the rabbit hole I guess. Sad really.

Thankfully none of my four kids got caught up in heroine. At least two of them smoked a little weed that I know of. Several of their classmates, however, had serious drug problems with everything from alcohol to heroine.

One young man in particular was an exceptional athlete I coached in little league. Had he not become an addict he probably would have gotten a full ride lacrosse scholarship. His parents were model parents. Hard working, highly involved in their children's education and social affairs, highly educated themselves. They went through hell and back because of his addiction. He ended up a convict.

We are all sorry for these things happening to family members, to all actually, but what can one or many do to combat the huge problem here in WNY & make it a better place? I'll bet 90% of laws are broken & violence because of drugs & alcohol. What to try & do?

It just comes down to education and law enforcement. The more law enforcement puts the pressure on, the higher the price will go. Hopefully the higher price keeps it out of the reach of youths. This is a prime reason marijuana should be legalized. The health risks of pot are much less than any hard drugs. The reason kids are doing prescription and hard drugs as well as bath salts and such is because they have been easier to access and the price is cheap. If pot was cheaper, I would rather have it regulated and taxed. Most kids would get it out of their system if there was no longer a stigma associated with it.

There are some people who are just wired differently, and feel the need for artificial stimulation in order to get by. Most of the time, the parents are not at fault.

And, sure you can substitute one artificial stimulation with another if you want to go the Jesus route. Ain't nothing wrong with Jesus, but you can't expect him to cure all the world's woes. And, I do know that for some people Jesus does seem to make the world's problems go away. But, I also know that for some people booze has the same effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Numero Uno View Post

Considering who said that part you quoted - I take the part you wrote as a complement as what was quoted was in actuality. Thank you.
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post
    From what I have read and been told by cops I know is prescription drugs are the cause of this.

Guy hurts his back at work - goes on pain pills - becomes addicted.

Pain pills run out - doctor will not prescribe - find heroin.

It's to the point where I know several folks who have tried to not use narcotic pain pills if they have surgery or the like. Too easy to fall down the rabbit hole I guess. Sad really.
    Exactly correct.... cost is a big issue for the transformation to heroin from pills too.

Quote Originally Posted by therising View Post
    There are some people who are just wired differently, and feel the need for artificial stimulation in order to get by. Most of the time, the parents are not at fault.

And, sure you can substitute one artificial stimulation with another if you want to go the Jesus route. Ain't nothing wrong with Jesus, but you can't expect him to cure all the world's woes. And, I do know that for some people Jesus does seem to make the world's problems go away. But, I also know that for some people booze has the same effect.
    All true.... especially the first paragraph!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information