Thread: 2.1 BILLION for a stadium in NYC!!!!

2.1 BILLION for a stadium in NYC!!!!

Does anyone else out there think our County Legislature and Local Government officials should be out campaigning to NOT have a $2.1 BILLION stadium built with $1.6+BILLION in tax payers money in New York City??????

Couldn't that money go along way in helping our humble county money issues?
    Or to pay for all Medicaid costs!!!!!! Good grief! What are they thinking??

Besides, no Olympics have made any money (perhaps 1)! Why do they think having the them in NYC is going to be different? This State is just amazing!!!!

Crusher says :

Besides, no Olympics have made any money (perhaps 1)! Why do they think having the them in NYC is going to be different? This State is just amazing!!!!
    According to the record I researched, the LA Olympics in 1984 made a profit of $ 215 Million. Montreal was a disaster and not sure about Atlanta.

However this dispells your broad brush comment.

It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required. (Sir Winston Churchill)

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I hate to say it this way.. that 2.1 billion ain't gonna make me money so I expect them not to take my money to support it.

This is the crap which burdens us.

Originally posted by bflonum1fan
    Crusher says :

According to the record I researched, the LA Olympics in 1984 made a profit of $ 215 Million. Montreal was a disaster and not sure about Atlanta.

However this dispells your broad brush comment.

I believe I posted "(perhaps 1)" meaning there may have been one Olympics that actually reported making money.

Anyway - my point was if you spend the money, and do not expect to make a profit - then why bother? WASTE OF TAXES!!!

crusher

Sorry crusher but it will be built because Sheldon Silver siad so. He is the dictator and we are his personal check book.

moadib

Does Buffalo get a new convention center too?

Does Buffalo get a new convention center too?

Hey, I dont care about NYC....I care about Buffalo.

Why invest in NYC its only a matter of time before they blow that city up with a nuclear bomb?

Atleast Buffalo isnt threatened by terrorists! Weve already been bombed and already experienced the holocaust....Buffalo has already lost 250,000 people and it was done by Albany and local politicians!

If NYC gets a new convention center then so should Buffalo!

Sorry Crusher, I didn't read your original post carefully enough. However most of the posts which I agree with think that NY City is screwing us. So what else is new ??? They have been doing this for the past 50 years.

A stadium on Manhattan's west side is ludicrous. The NY Jets will be a major beneficiary, as will the businesses who benefit from the olympics. But with all the scandals besetting the olympic committees (winter olympics in Utah), who's to even say that NYC will get the opympics ?

2 Billion$ ! ! ! ! that's enough money to finance Erie Cty for 2 years and eliminate all taxes (for 2 years). I'd have to say that Giambra with all his ranting about NYS, has hit the nail on the head with Albany putting the screws to upstate NY.

This NYC stadium is representative of Albany's complete disdain for Buffalo and EC. This is the direction that the taxpayer revolt must go.
    It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required. (Sir Winston Churchill)

Ok--I'm neutral as far as the new stadium for NYC is concerned. The Olympics might not make an outright profit for the city who sponsors it, but the whole place is certainly polished up and brought to up to date with a lot of corporations forking over a lot of money to do it. And NYC is definitely a plus, an attraction, and therefore a boost to our NYS, and so I'm fairly philosophical about that one.
    Who knows, sometime it might be Buffalo. We certainly have a great location.
    Don't be too complacent about this area not getting the bomb. We have a big source of electical power in our area, and if the river was cut off from the other lakes it would be a disaster, too.
    I don't concentrate on what could happen, I think about not getting into that situation in the first place.
    quote from WNY resident: "This is the crap which burdens us."
    No, the crap that burdens us is very local. Bad, greedy politicians.

and from Crusher.."Couldn't that money go along way in helping our humble county money issues?
    Or to pay for all Medicaid costs!!!!!! Good grief! What are they thinking??"

This is the same thinking as Joel Giambra--use "that money" to pay the bills instead of improvments being made. Robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Let's not forget that even if we agree to build this thing (as if we have to agree), by no means are we guaranteed to get the Olympics! This is more like building a baseball stadium downtown and someday maybe getting a major league team. Don't forget that the IOC is highly political; will they really want to give the US another Olympics with world sentiment like it is now?

Lake Placid 1980
    LA 1984
    Altlanta 1996
    Salt Lake 2002

No other country is awarded the Olympics so regularly, so it is definitely not a done deal even if the stadium is approved.
    Remain calm!! But run for your lives if necessary!

I see what you mean, Criache-it'a big gamble.

Let's not forget that even if we agree to build this thing (as if we have to agree), by no means are we guaranteed to get the Olympics! This is more like building a baseball stadium downtown and someday maybe getting a major league team. Don't forget that the IOC is highly political; will they really want to give the US another Olympics with world sentiment like it is now?
    We had Rich Stadium built in OP .. Look at all the development ..a gas station on the corner.

Pilot field... businesses torn down and an exclusive Monopoly for the Rich family.

Crossroads Arena...Sports on a Major League is failing...even when up and running...SPORTS TEAMS ARE LOSING Millions of Dollars.

Give money for Arts, Libraries and culture...At least it's not corporate welfatr...The TAXPAYERS enjoy these and don't have to pay $120.00 for a good seat.

BF

hold it

sports might be corporate welfare but I am sick of hearing hold back the money from them and spend it some where else.
    JUST DONT COLLECT IT
    if it is not needed dont spend it somewhere else let us keep our money in our wallets
    to many times sports and culturals have been compared .In my school they were not the same courses gym class was differant the art or music so why connect the money
    I agree sports funding should be a private thing not funded by any government .so should culturals. they are all extras that right now we can not afford to support
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

Good point. I agree.

Thread Information