Thread: Amid rancor of U.S. politics, philosopher offers surprising thesis

Lightbulb Amid rancor of U.S. politics, philosopher offers surprising thesis

Click on title to read entire article:
    NONFICTION America the Philosophical By Carlin Romano Knopf
    By Jeff Simon
    News Book Reviewer

“The surprising little secret of our ardently capitalist, famously materialist, heavily iPodded, iPadded and iPhoned society is that America in the early 21st century towers as the most philosophical culture in the history of the world, an unprecedented marketplace of truth and argument that far surpasses ancient Greece, Cartesian France, nineteenth-century Germany or any other place one can name over the past three millennia.

The openness of its dialogue, the quality of its arguments, the diversity of its viewpoints, the cockiness with which its citizens express their opinions, the vastness of its First Amendment freedoms, the intensity of its hunt for evidence and information, the widespread rejection of truths imposed by authority or tradition alone, the resistance of false claims of justification and legitimacy, the embrace of Net communication with an alacrity that intimidates the world: all corroborate that fact.”

#Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post
    Click on title to read entire article:
    NONFICTION America the Philosophical By Carlin Romano Knopf
    By Jeff Simon
    News Book Reviewer

“The surprising little secret of our ardently capitalist, famously materialist, heavily iPodded, iPadded and iPhoned society is that America in the early 21st century towers as the most philosophical culture in the history of the world, an unprecedented marketplace of truth and argument that far surpasses ancient Greece, Cartesian France, nineteenth-century Germany or any other place one can name over the past three millennia.

The openness of its dialogue, the quality of its arguments, the diversity of its viewpoints, the cockiness with which its citizens express their opinions, the vastness of its First Amendment freedoms, the intensity of its hunt for evidence and information, the widespread rejection of truths imposed by authority or tradition alone, the resistance of false claims of justification and legitimacy, the embrace of Net communication with an alacrity that intimidates the world: all corroborate that fact.”

You must have had a reason to post this. What is it?

Until I read the book, the most telling part of Simon's report to me was:

Obviously, what Romano means by “America the Philosophical” is not what many professional philosophers nestled in academic bosoms would mean which is why he is likely to be thought of as a heretic by some as well as a distiller of hooey as much as the brilliant and necessary constructor of a new intellectual framework for a fresh Millennium.

His book, in fact, ends with a ringing endorsement of Barack Obama as our current “philosopher-in-chief” and “cosmopolitan-in-chief.”

To Romano, “we were entitled to one.”

I really don't see Obama as our current "philosopher-in-chief" seeking wisdom and truth with equanimity.

Did you judge by only one sentence ?

"You don't throw out the baby with the bath water"

"You don't throw out the baby with the bath water"

While I respect others opinion, I judge that opinion by the facts provided to give that opinion credibility. If the USA is any smarter overall than it was 50 years ago, I fail to see that. Many college educated kids can't tell you who the vice-president of America is, can't find Cambodia on a map and can't tell you much about America's founding and recent past history.

If you are telling me that today's social networking is producing a more knowledable nation that is able to have intelligent discource, I don't see it.

As per the book, not having read it, I can't relate to the other sentence, a sentance that I find in itself fits as claptrap and hooey. I will read it and perhaps become enlightened and change my opinion.

Thanks Lee, you did just prove part of the essence of what the author expressed. What was written is not an absolute, its meant to stir further discussion - maybe thats why someone with your back ground finds it confusing.

"philosopher" is the key word here, any way try this again,

"the intensity of its hunt for evidence and information, the widespread rejection of truths imposed by authority or tradition alone, the resistance of false claims of justification and legitimacy, the embrace of Net communication with an alacrity that intimidates the world: all corroborate that fact.”

Much of the same is posted and debated here daily as well as on literally thousands and thousands of boards every minute of everyday. Also the diversity of those who participate - socio economic levels - and so on all add a flavor no other generation could have achieved. This I believe is a major point behind my interest in his thesis.

Just found it interesting - thought some posters would also relate. Thanks again!
    Last edited by 4248; May 30th, 2012 at 11:43 PM.

Thanks Lee, you did just prove part of the essence of what the author expressed. What was written is not an absolute, its meant to stir further discussion - maybe thats why someone with your back ground finds it confusing.

"philosopher" is the key word here, any way try this again,

"the intensity of its hunt for evidence and information, the widespread rejection of truths imposed by authority or tradition alone, the resistance of false claims of justification and legitimacy, the embrace of Net communication with an alacrity that intimidates the world: all corroborate that fact.”

Much of the same is posted and debated here daily as well as on literally thousands and thousands of boards every minute of everyday. Also the diversity of those who participate - socio economic levels - and so on all add a flavor no other generation could have achieved. This I believe is a major point behind my interest in his thesis.

Just found it interesting - thought some posters would also relate. Thanks again!
    If we were to look at philosophy here as a generally systematic approach to give opinions on general and/or fundamental problems using rational argument, then we are in agreement.

I was looking more at philosophy in the sense of offering views on profound questions in ethics, metaphysics, logic and other related fields. In that sense, I find America lacking and especially find Obama no philosopher-in-chief.

Thread Information