Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 29 School Districts WTF!

29 School Districts WTF!

Charlotte's Mecklenburg County has 1 School district with a growing student population.

Buffalo's Erie County has 29 school districts with a shrinking population!

That ain't right. Don't complain about your taxes unless you are will to correct crap like this.
    Americans don't solve social problems...they just move away from them

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    But it provides jobs when you have more districts..

I do agree on that, I think there should be one superintendent for multiple schools, especially suburban and rural districts.

The real problem is that each district is a separate government!

We have a proposal that would eliminate all districts in the state as separate governments. Right now, only NYC operates that way, a recent development that I believe is working well (relative to the old system).

http://freenewyork.org/articles/news...0districts.pdf

Of course, the politicians are useless which is I spent the last five months trying to knock off five of them. The wise voters had other plans.

Who are any of us to tell a group of people that they can't band together to form their own government and institutions? Isn't that what the American Revolution was all about: self determination? On the off chance that students in Eden may have slightly different needs than the children in East Aurora who may have slightly different needs than the students in Cheektowaga who have different needs than Buffalo &etc.

I understand that it would cut costs to have fewer districts. But you'd have to take me a long ways to deny any group of people the right to set up their own properly incorporated governments and institutions.
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

I hope that wasn't directed at me. Our proposal is based on local control. Right now, the people have close to zero control. Special interests control the districts.

We oppose metro government and all other consolidation canards. Makes no sense in theory; fails in practice.

while I dont agree on a lot of my own school boards politics, i certainly dont want a failing one to take over my district - I moved here b/c of the schools, I get my moneys worth out of my taxes b/c I utilize the schools here - in the district I chose b/c of the way they teach and hold students accountable...
    Colleen
    Realtor

Visit My Website

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by CAugust View Post
    while I dont agree on a lot of my own school boards politics, i certainly dont want a failing one to take over my district - I moved here b/c of the schools, I get my moneys worth out of my taxes b/c I utilize the schools here - in the district I chose b/c of the way they teach and hold students accountable...
    I wonder if your opinion will change when your kids are done with school.

It wasn't directed solely at you Jim-O....no worries.

This is really a tough question. It's undeniable that quality education is not just in the interest of, but vital to, the entire population, whether that education be gotten two towns over or two states over. There's always going to be that tension between what is culturally required and what is locally useful. That's why, in the end, I refuse to get rid of public education based on state standards, and find it difficult to disallow individual localities the right to form their own schools under those standards.
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

Quote Originally Posted by Surfing USA View Post
    I wonder if your opinion will change when your kids are done with school.
    I'm sure it will to a point, but I will also realize that others are benefiting from my taxes which are educating future leaders of our area. I pay high taxes, but I get much better services than some, so for me it's ok right now.

I would bet that the majority of people that live in the town I live in, live here for the school district. What will happen after that I have no idea, but I have at least another 8 years to think about that.........
    Colleen
    Realtor

Visit My Website

They are all failures run by dolts who were elected by dolts. I ahte these peopel more then I hate most politicians.I mean I have true hate for school boards and the people whith no moral compass who serve and screw on them.
    Lord the day is coming and it cant come soon enough,these people will learn waht happens when you beat a dog long enough.

I'm sure it will to a point, but I will also realize that others are benefiting from my taxes which are educating future leaders of our area. I pay high taxes, but I get much better services than some, so for me it's ok right now.

I would bet that the majority of people that live in the town I live in, live here for the school district. What will happen after that I have no idea, but I have at least another 8 years to think about that.........

You have to be kidding me!!!!!!!!! Futeure leaders,I look at these little pukes and I see future free cheesers. Keep paying those taxes and i will do all I can to tear the system apart. I have no kids I am sick of paying for others. Leave methe hell alone. Oha na make sure you tell the Seniors that cat food tastes just like Tuna.

Quote Originally Posted by Cgoodsp466 View Post
    You have to be kidding me!!!!!!!!! Futeure leaders,I look at these little pukes and I see future free cheesers. Keep paying those taxes and i will do all I can to tear the system apart. I have no kids I am sick of paying for others. Leave methe hell alone. Oha na make sure you tell the Seniors that cat food tastes just like Tuna.
    I understand what you are saying....... alot of the kids get a free ride from mom and dad - total college paid for etc etc, and how they are going to actually exist in the world after is a surprise to me.... Ive worked since 16, f/t no less ........... I get my moneys worth it for now, BUT I have kids in the school system, later on my views may change....... The crap at the board level sucks, but the education itself is very very good.

the problem with these kids, getting off topic a bit, is that mom and dad dont hold them accountable, they help even the high schoolers do the homework, or should I say, actually do it for them....that teaches them nothing at all. They do not encourage them to work - work? what is that? I want Johnny to enjoy his last year of high school??? whats wrong with work?????

I hope my kids dont end up being free cheesers, that would totally piss me off.... I dont see that happening...
    Colleen
    Realtor

Visit My Website

Really ..a cluster..................!

COULD YOU ...really see the current Buffalo school board administration running ALL 29 districts. Hell..they cant even handle Buffalo's problems! Inept, corrupt, political and unable to focus on students needs.
    Oh ya...I forgot ..wasteful with our tax dollars too!
    Perhaps this scenario is just a peek ..on how bad the entire region would be if these bozos had regional control over all districts.
    Until the caliber of Board members improves..leave well enough alone!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information