Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: 29 School Districts WTF!

Quote Originally Posted by keyboard150 View Post
    I've never heard a Social Studies teacher do anything except go out of their way to get the class to understand that the war was NOT about slavery.
    Okay, than maybe it was my Prof at UB that did just the opposite.

Now one last question, you work in the city schools. How long have the been teaching under the assumption that your students suffer from "post-traumatic slavery disorder (or syndrome)? I know it's supposed to be hush hush, but I'm not sure why the keep it quiet?

Quote Originally Posted by Dougles View Post
    Okay, than maybe it was my Prof at UB that did just the opposite.

Now one last question, you work in the city schools. How long have the been teaching under the assumption that your students suffer from "post-traumatic slavery disorder (or syndrome)? I know it's supposed to be hush hush, but I'm not sure why the keep it quiet?
    I don't. I don't put up with that crap and the students know it. It would be nice if other teachers would do the same.
    http://www.buffaloreuse.org/~kool aid free zone~

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ostrowski View Post
    "The educated mind should be open and skeptical and hungry for facts and logic. Does that sound like the typical government high school grad? Some can't even place the Civil War in the correct century."

Ignorant? It's just my impression. Not sure how my impression could be ignorant. The ignorance of huge numbers of government school grads on history is legendary. Are you denying it?

The statement about the century of the Civil War is based on personal experience.
    I would guess there are quite a few private school grads that are just as ignorant of these facts.

It's kind of ridiculous to compare the cream of the crop with "everyone else."
    It is discriminatory. Not everyone can afford private school.

"Not everyone can afford private school."

Not everyone can afford government school either. The cost is too high.

This is such a stupid thread.

Why do we have five million different middlemen involved in goods distribution in the private sector? Could probably sell a car for half of what it costs now if it weren't for distribution costs and middlemen, or buy corn directly from the farmers, buy goods from the manufacturers direct instead of dealing with / paying for people to put the goods on the shelf, manage the stores / inventories, etc etc

"Not everyone can afford private school."

Not everyone can afford government school either. The cost is too high.
    Oh please. Now this is has just become a "whiner" thread. If you don't like it, don't vote for the budget. If you don't like it, change it.

Now you're comparing apples to oranges. I really meant it when I said I expect better arguments out of you.

Quote Originally Posted by nickelcityhomes View Post
    Zoning boards, planning boards, and land use planning bureaucrats are excessive and wasteful too.

You're part of the problem Steel.
    Please explain. I don't fit into any of the groups you list.
    Americans don't solve social problems...they just move away from them

Quote Originally Posted by leets View Post
    Please explain. I don't fit into any of the groups you list.
    Don't bother. He'll insist you are. He knows everything about everybody.

"The cost is too high."

I guess I was being obtuse. I was referring to the "costs" that would incurred if I sent my children into the hands of the government bureaucracy.

As for budgets, I can't vote for them. The school boards are controlled by special interests.

http://freenewyork.org/articles/news...0districts.pdf

As for budgets, I can't vote for them. The school boards are controlled by special interests.
    The most frequent bitter cop-out of them all.

A little pissy that people who are actually directly affected by those budgets go and vote for them? I'm assuming by "special interests" you mean teachers unions? I mean...how much could they possibly know about schools, right? They know nothing about running them or what is needed to improve them.

If you're right, Jim-O, convince people. Teachers make up less than 1% of the population. I think the biggest reason you haven't convinced or converted people, is that you're wrong. Tough to argue against reality, even when you do want to use your own unsourced and unsupported-by-data personal blog musings.
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

Quote Originally Posted by keyboard150 View Post
    I don't. I don't put up with that crap and the students know it. It would be nice if other teachers would do the same.
    But the is a valid "teaching idea" in the city schools correct?

The funny thing about politics is how people who believe that there is a rational structure to reality and act accordingly in daily life, somehow suspend that scientific approach to life when they discuss politics.

One example is the widespread support for bailouts of this or that sector of the economy. People ignore the fact that are laws of economics that defeat all such attempts to improve the economy.

Similarly, my friend here doesn't understand that politics has a nature or structure that can be studied and known.

Political scientists and economists have discovered the principle of rational apathy. It explains why, other than people being lazy, evil or stupid, that the vast majority of people do not get involved in politics other than voting.

People make a rational cost-benefit judgment that the time they might spend on politics, given the extremely small odds of their marginal activism changing anything, is not worth the heavy costs that such activism can involve in time, money, aggravation, harassment by the political class, etc.

To say, Jim, it's your fault for not motivating these people is like saying it’s my fault the winds come over Lake Erie in the winter time.

The last political leader in America who shrank government was Thomas Jefferson. While I am a Jeffersonian, I am no Thomas Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by Genoobie View Post

Why do we have five million different middlemen involved in goods distribution in the private sector? Could probably sell a car for half of what it costs now if it weren't for distribution costs and middlemen, or buy corn directly from the farmers, buy goods from the manufacturers direct instead of dealing with / paying for people to put the goods on the shelf, manage the stores / inventories, etc etc
    Not true, because the Farmer would have to hire someone to sell his corn. So instead he has my compnay do it for him. Less worry on his part. I work in distribution (copmuter electronics) and we make VERY little off the top, it's typically the releseller (your local retailer) who make the BIG profits!
    Last edited by Dougles; November 17th, 2008 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougles View Post
    But the is a valid "teaching idea" in the city schools correct?
    I'd like to think it isn't. Some teachers probably do cater to this. Any that do are doing a huge disservice to the students and the community.

Quote Originally Posted by Genoobie View Post

Middlemen add to the cost of anything, as well as advertising, packaging, marketing, shipping etc etc.

The price is what the price is.. it costs less to build a chinese airconditioner,, so people buy it. In a competative free market all costs such as those mentioned above put a commodity, service or product at a certain price.

The middlemen that should be eliminated are the ones that you have no choice in "purchasing" their products.. unions and politicians, government etc.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread Information