NC: 3 this year?
    NY: none

Heat Related Deaths:
    NC: a few I would guess
    NY: none

Confederate gun-rack totin redneck sumbitches:
    NC: a whole freakin state of 'em.
    NY: a few hiding in the mountains

I'm pretty happy here in NY, thanks so much.
    but does make one ponder why the state is growing and ours is shrinking

I thought we were making some good momentum before the s*** hit the fan with Giambra. Like it or not, he got us talking about it, and closer to implementing it than anyone has in years.
    I wasn't a Giambra fan, but I am a huge fan of consolidation/regionalism.

I've said this before---BOCES was created to be THE school district. It was created to be several regional school districts throughout NYS.
    It just never materialized, unfortunately.
    http://www.buffaloreuse.org/~kool aid free zone~

"I am a huge fan of consolidation/regionalism."

It's a faux reform.

Our two biggest, most expensive and most repressive governments are both consolidated, the state and the feds.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ostrowski View Post
    "I am a huge fan of consolidation/regionalism."

It's a faux reform.

Our two biggest, most expensive and most repressive governments are both consolidated, the state and the feds.
    I disagree, Jim. If it's done properly it is neither expensive nor repressive.

you missed the most expensive one

locally in every town you have one big government that cost more then all the others put together. schools. this tax burden on the home owner is higher then state county and town put together. I would like to know the total school tax burden in the country just to see if more taxes are collected for this local service then all the state and national services.
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

Seattle Washington _ King County - Almost 2 Million People - only 17 school districts.

This is a fast growing highly educated metro

Seattle (King) - 1 school district for every 117,000 people

Buffalo (Erie) - 1 school district for every 31,000 people

If this **** was printed in the news every day people might start to understand how wacked out WNY government is. The problem is that People in the Buffalo area think this kind of waste is normal or unavoidable.

Don't complain about your taxes if you think this bloated government is OK.
    Americans don't solve social problems...they just move away from them

Quote Originally Posted by leets View Post
    Seattle Washington _ King County - Almost 2 Million People - only 17 school districts.

This is a fast growing highly educated metro

Seattle (King) - 1 school district for every 117,000 people

Buffalo (Erie) - 1 school district for every 31,000 people

If this **** was printed in the news every day people might start to understand how wacked out WNY government is. The problem is that People in the Buffalo area think this kind of waste is normal or unavoidable.

Don't complain about your taxes if you think this bloated government is OK.
    Again, Seattle is a completely different area built with completely different needs in mind for a completely different population. It is in no way comparable.

I wouldnt say that the people in this area think this kind of waste is unavoidable. I think most people do want to get rid of such waste. They just think that it's someone ELSE'S fiefdom that should be sacrificed.
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

"If it's done properly"

If frogs had wings, they could fly.

Higher government units cost more because their subjects have fewer choices to move elsewhere.

Also, beyond the municipal level, elections are non-competitive ands controlled exclusively by the special interests.

Democracy only works at the community level. Beyond that, it's a complete joke.

That's why Free NY calls for community-based government, small at that. And of rouse, eliminating all special districts and authorities.

Government cannot be run like a business but we can count on politicians to be greedy. If, under our proposed regime, they have to compete with other local municipalities, they will have an incentive to restrain spending or lose taxpayers.

Short of anarchocapitalism, private property “anarchy,” our proposal is the only way to rein in government spending. All the rest are canards and distractions that have been tried and have failed many times.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by run4it View Post
    Confederate gun-rack totin redneck sumbitches:
    NC: a whole freakin state of 'em.
    NY: a few hiding in the mountains
    You do realize that NC has slightly more flag burning, Hippie-type, pinko, American-troop-hating Liberals, than Confederate gun-rack totin redneck sumbitches - right?

Quote Originally Posted by run4it View Post
    Again, Seattle is a completely different area built with completely different needs in mind for a completely different population. It is in no way comparable.

I wouldnt say that the people in this area think this kind of waste is unavoidable. I think most people do want to get rid of such waste. They just think that it's someone ELSE'S fiefdom that should be sacrificed.
    Interesting that you did not comment on Cleveland. Nor did you comment on Indianapolis.

So far you seem to be saying that Buffalo is some very special place were waste must be tolerated and perhaps encouraged.

Nashville's Davidson County - Population 620,000 - One school district.

The interesting thing is that this district has grown by almost 100,000 people over that last 8 years and they did not need to add any more school districts.

By Erie County standards 3.2 additional school districts would have been required to handle that extra 100,000 people. Oh but that is right, Erie county is losing population. Perhaps we should create those new districts anyway!

Unregistered
    In Niagara County, the Wilson, (warts and all) school district is reported to be the best. I think Wilson would be hurt by a county-wide school system.

Down here, there is a county-wide, (huge bureaucracy) system that is on the verge of bankruptcy, which just fired the 2007 US school superintendent of the year. It is also polarized in that the blacks/latins do not like each other.

I much prefer the small, easier-to-manage school system.

state wide union

each town has to fight a state wide union every time contracts come up. the towns can't afford these battles and give in every time if the school systems covered more area they might be more sucessful fighting the "HUGE" teachers union
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ostrowski View Post
    "If it's done properly"

If frogs had wings, they could fly.

Higher government units cost more because their subjects have fewer choices to move elsewhere.

Also, beyond the municipal level, elections are non-competitive ands controlled exclusively by the special interests.

Democracy only works at the community level. Beyond that, it's a complete joke.

That's why Free NY calls for community-based government, small at that. And of rouse, eliminating all special districts and authorities.

Government cannot be run like a business but we can count on politicians to be greedy. If, under our proposed regime, they have to compete with other local municipalities, they will have an incentive to restrain spending or lose taxpayers.

Short of anarchocapitalism, private property “anarchy,” our proposal is the only way to rein in government spending. All the rest are canards and distractions that have been tried and have failed many times.

Again, I disagree. I think a region that works and thinks together is successful together. We have too many governments with too many agendas. Everyone is out for themselves. That's ridiculous. It's apparent that having several governments doesn't work. Our region is a disaster, and government is the #1 problem.

Quote Originally Posted by leets View Post
    Interesting that you did not comment on Cleveland. Nor did you comment on Indianapolis.

So far you seem to be saying that Buffalo is some very special place were waste must be tolerated and perhaps encouraged.

the same way the overspent American is the same in Mesa Arizona, Detroit, or Ft. Lauderdale.

waste, inefficiency, and stupidity does not know boundaries.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information