Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 121

Thread: 29 School Districts WTF!

  1. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    877
    Why would it need to be run by the City School Board? It would be a county school board. A majority of the people live outside the city. It would be controlled by the suburban majority. Are you saying that the suburbs could not put together a board that could educate inner city kids?

    What is so special about Erie County that it needs 29 times as many school boards to educate its children?
    Americans don't solve social problems...they just move away from them

  2. #17
    Member run4it's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Buffalo
    Posts
    5,689
    Quote Originally Posted by leets View Post
    Are you saying that the suburbs could not put together a board that could educate inner city kids?
    Yes.

    Suburban soccer moms and dads have absolutely zero idea what it's like to live, let alone try and learn, in an inner-city setting. And vice versa, I'm quite sure.
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

  3. #18
    Member leftWNYbecauseofBS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    10,862
    Quote Originally Posted by leets View Post
    Why would it need to be run by the City School Board? It would be a county school board. A majority of the people live outside the city. It would be controlled by the suburban majority. Are you saying that the suburbs could not put together a board that could educate inner city kids?

    What is so special about Erie County that it needs 29 times as many school boards to educate its children?
    First off, if this were to happen, 29 teacher contracts would have to be merged into one. Are you suggesting that this is even possible in NYS?

    Secondly, the Charlotte-Mecklenburg school district ended forced busing around 10 years ago. Are you suggesting that forced busing in WNY is even possible? This is the one component that makes 1 district in Charlotte work IMO having lived there.



    I agree that 29 school districts is way too many....but merging 29 into 1 is not even smart let alone possible.

    I think regional mergers like Williamsville, Sweet Home and Amherst into one or Lancaster and Depew or Cleveland Hill, Cheektowaga, Sloan and Maryvale is possible and should be done. Right there you would consolidate 9 into 3 loweing the number to 22.

  4. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Amherst
    Posts
    11,438
    Quote Originally Posted by run4it View Post
    Yes.

    Suburban soccer moms and dads have absolutely zero idea what it's like to live, let alone try and learn, in an inner-city setting. And vice versa, I'm quite sure.
    I completly agree, nor do i think the middle class burb's like the Town of amherst, OP and WS would do a great job running a school the same as NT or Hamburg.

    However the idea of taking, clarence, all three willaimsville, amherst, SH, lancaster Ken east and west and maybe even start point and have them all run as one, wouldn't be a bad idea to cust HUGE AMOUNTS of wasteful costs.

  5. #20
    Member leftWNYbecauseofBS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    10,862
    Quote Originally Posted by run4it View Post
    Yes.

    Suburban soccer moms and dads have absolutely zero idea what it's like to live, let alone try and learn, in an inner-city setting. And vice versa, I'm quite sure.

    OMG this is so ignorant.

    You are either saying that the products of inner city schools never achieve enough in their life to raise a family in the suburbs...

    Or

    People who grew up in the city NEVER moved to places like Amherst or Clarence.

    Get off the soap box guy....

  6. #21
    Member run4it's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Buffalo
    Posts
    5,689
    Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post
    OMG this is so ignorant.

    You are either saying that the products of inner city schools never achieve enough in their life to raise a family in the suburbs...

    Or

    People who grew up in the city NEVER moved to places like Amherst or Clarence.

    Get off the soap box guy....
    Come on. Go ahead and list people (or person) who have lived in both settings that are on any kind of school board....you probably can't name 5 that are on PTA's...anywhere. I'm pretty sure you can find a list of school board members on most district websites, and I'll give you time to research.

    Who's ignorant?

    You know it's true...quite bloviating just to hear yourself.
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

  7. #22
    Member Save Us's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    9,366
    Quote Originally Posted by run4it View Post
    Who are any of us to tell a group of people that they can't band together to form their own government and institutions? Isn't that what the American Revolution was all about: self determination? On the off chance that students in Eden may have slightly different needs than the children in East Aurora who may have slightly different needs than the students in Cheektowaga who have different needs than Buffalo &etc.

    I understand that it would cut costs to have fewer districts. But you'd have to take me a long ways to deny any group of people the right to set up their own properly incorporated governments and institutions.

    It is inefficient, not cost effective for the people that are paying for the services read tab. We often forget the purpose of this whole thing is to serve the people in an efficient and effective manner.

    Unfortunately so many for so long have believed this is how it is done, ...until they get educated perhaps from reading or working somewhere else.

  8. #23
    Member Save Us's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    9,366
    Run,

    I believe we are going to see the consequences soon for not doing things in an intelligent, efficient cost effective manner.

    The limits at some point will be reached, choose your poison, taxes, decreased state and federal aid, increasing pension costs, loss of population, etc. etc. etc.

    let me know if you can take these variables and make a solvent equation,

    I cannot.

  9. #24
    Member leftWNYbecauseofBS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    10,862
    Quote Originally Posted by run4it View Post
    Come on. Go ahead and list people (or person) who have lived in both settings that are on any kind of school board....you probably can't name 5 that are on PTA's...anywhere. I'm pretty sure you can find a list of school board members on most district websites, and I'll give you time to research.

    Who's ignorant?

    You know it's true...quite bloviating just to hear yourself.
    My comments have nothing to do about school boards.

    YOU SAID:
    "Suburban soccer moms and dads have absolutely zero idea what it's like to live, let alone try and learn, in an inner-city setting."

    This is why I called you ignorant. You said NOTHING about the PTA or School Boards. You said that people who live in Amherst have no understanding of inner city schools or live in the inner city.

    Nice try...

  10. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    877
    Anyway,

    For those who think that WNY is so special that it needs 29 times more school boards than a low tax quickly growing region of about the same size I ask,

    "Are you willing to pay more taxes to keep a failed and excessive system in place? Are you going to whine and complain about high NYS taxes?"

    If you think 29 or even 22 school boards are OK you should shut up about your high taxes and loss of population and business in Erie County.
    Americans don't solve social problems...they just move away from them

  11. #26
    Member leftWNYbecauseofBS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    10,862
    Quote Originally Posted by leets View Post
    Anyway,

    For those who think that WNY is so special that it needs 29 times more school boards than a low tax quickly growing region of about the same size I ask,

    "Are you willing to pay more taxes to keep a failed and excessive system in place? Are you going to whine and complain about high NYS taxes?"

    If you think 29 or even 22 school boards are OK you should shut up about your high taxes and loss of population and business in Erie County.

    Nice loaded question David. Also funny how you ignore the differences between your comparison example of Charlotte and WNY. Of course this is par for the course for you.

    If Erie County could have one district with the same legacy costs (oh yea you forgot to mention those), the same contracts and the same busing rules as Charlotte...everyone would be for 1 district.

    Anyways.....

  12. #27
    Member Save Us's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    9,366
    Quote Originally Posted by leets View Post
    Anyway,

    For those who think that WNY is so special that it needs 29 times more school boards than a low tax quickly growing region of about the same size I ask,

    "Are you willing to pay more taxes to keep a failed and excessive system in place? Are you going to whine and complain about high NYS taxes?"

    If you think 29 or even 22 school boards are OK you should shut up about your high taxes and loss of population and business in Erie County.
    ?? I am not sure I understand your position??

  13. #28
    Member run4it's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Buffalo
    Posts
    5,689
    Quote Originally Posted by Save Us View Post
    It is inefficient, not cost effective for the people that are paying for the services read tab. We often forget the purpose of this whole thing is to serve the people in an efficient and effective manner.

    Unfortunately so many for so long have believed this is how it is done, ...until they get educated perhaps from reading or working somewhere else.
    My argument isn't whether it's "cost effective." My argument is that they should have the right, under basic auspices, to set up their own institution if they so choose.
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

  14. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    877
    Quote Originally Posted by Save Us View Post
    ?? I am not sure I understand your position??
    My position is that I hear a lot of complaining about high taxes in WNY and see no one willing to give up their wasteful little kingdoms.
    Americans don't solve social problems...they just move away from them

  15. #30
    Member leftWNYbecauseofBS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    10,862
    Quote Originally Posted by leets View Post
    My position is that I hear a lot of complaining about high taxes in WNY and see no one willing to give up their wasteful little kingdoms.

    What the hell are you talking about? Are you suggesting that people in WNY like their kingdoms? That people do not want things to change?

    Maybe you should have taken 5 minutes to think about the logistics about merging 29 school districts....the countless laws, special interest groups and unions that would fight and prevent any such change...the political powers that would fight the shrinkage of power that comes along with change...before you slam people as not willing to give up their kingdoms..

    It is simple to compare Buffalo to Charlotte when you do no actual comparison to the underlying factors that separate WNY and Charlotte.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. No language, no learning
    By Enough in forum Schools and Education in Buffalo NY and surrounding area
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: December 1st, 2008, 10:01 AM
  2. Cut Lancaster Over paid teachers pay
    By VegasDude in forum Village of Lancaster and Town of Lancaster Politics
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: March 13th, 2008, 11:45 AM
  3. Eliminating school districts
    By Jim Ostrowski in forum Morning Breakfast - Breaking News
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: November 20th, 2006, 01:53 PM
  4. Comprehensive Report on School District Financial Accountability
    By woodstock in forum Albany NY State budget Capital and Governor Andrew Cuomo
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: December 14th, 2005, 11:41 AM
  5. Hevesi - Report Finds Problems of Five Largest School Districts
    By Night Owl in forum Morning Breakfast - Breaking News
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 13th, 2005, 09:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •