Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fire protection fiscal responsibility

Fire protection fiscal responsibility

I find it difficult to believe that anyone would not appreciate the services the Lancaster volunteer firefighters provide for the town, nor deny them a Service Award Program that recognizes their dedication, the responsibility and potential danger of the job, and the time and effort that goes into training. It is always the politics involved and how the fire protection contract money is spent.

The new, two-year contracts with the four districts servicing Lancaster are retroactive to Jan. 1 and call for the companies to receive the same level of town support in 2012 and 2013 as they received in 2011; $3.01 million of the total $3.76 million budget.

At Monday evening’s town board meeting, resident Mike Fronczak asked about the work that was taking place at the Twin District fire facility. “No disrespect to the firefighters, they do a great job, but I have lived near the fire hall for 18 years and have seen the parking lot tore up multiple times. I know they raise some money and that the town provides funding, but what is the reason for breaking up the concrete and putting in snow-melt on the concrete that was just put in there approximately 18 months ago?”

Fronczak was informed that the fire company acts under their own budget.

Fronczak: “I notice that they are expanding in the back of the building as well, is that for a parking lot? Is there is a reason for it?

Supervisor Dino Fudoli responded that they obviously see a need for more parking. “I don’t have any information regarding reason. They submit a budget to us and we approve it, but we don’t go line-by-line reviewing what they do with that money.”

Fronczak: “I understand that, I just wonder how many times and at what cost are they going to tear up that concrete.”

Fudoli: “I don’t know, maybe there was something defective with it and the contractor that did it is redoing it.”

Councilman Mark Aquino: “Perhaps you should address it with the chief of Twin District.”

Fudoli: “Yeah, just like I addressed the issue of someone sleeping at another fire hall. I am just looking at how taxpayer money is being spent.

Fudoli: “Ultimately I believe the board was pleased with the budget that was just passed. This is the first year that the fire companies did not ask for a raise in over 15 years. They will hold the line on spending for two years (2012-2014). We didn’t go line-by-line in looking at past contracts, but we will look at discussing those things at the next contract time when negotiating takes place. We have a right to inspect their books and ultimately we will cull through that. We will make sure the money is spent wisely. I do believe that this year’s contract was fiscally responsible in that there will be no increase in contractual obligations for two years.”

Resident Lee Chowaniec: “I would like to ask a follow up question on the Twin District parking expansion. Is the town obligated to plow for the fire districts?”

Fudoli: “Twin District is a unique situation. When I walked into this job, I found there was a conflict between the highway department and the plowing of the fire departments. Twin Districts took it upon themselves to go out and hire a private contractor as a backup; nothing that I was in favor of as In the past the town always plowed it. Mr. Amatura (Highway Superintendent) had a point when he came to us and said that we are supposed to plow for the safety of the residents, not their banquet halls and everything else. He was concerned that this plowing cost was coming from his highway budget and not the General Fund."

“As I said, Twin District is a unique situation and that they went out and hired their own snow removal contractor. The town will still plow out the front of the building. There is a good point that this conversation will have to be had with others. I have a good relationship people from Twin District and we can have this discussion."

"total $3.76 million budget"

Lee why does it cost so much each year? New equipment every year? Surely training, building & vehicle upkeep & fuel does not cost that much, does it? Just curious, I have no idea how these volunteer fire department's operate. I do know they sure are controversial in many of the towns of WNY.
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

I believe that the budget was for all of the Lancaster companies, so it does get chewed through rather quickly. You have to take into account the hidden costs, like insurance and such.
    Everything has to be certified for use, sometimes yearly, and that costs big bucks. Physicals and SCBA clearance exams need to be done yearly, fuel, utilities, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Broughton View Post
    "total $3.76 million budget"

Lee why does it cost so much each year? New equipment every year? Surely training, building & vehicle upkeep & fuel does not cost that much, does it? Just curious, I have no idea how these volunteer fire department's operate. I do know they sure are controversial in many of the towns of WNY.
    I really have no idea, but I was glad to hear Supervisor Fudoli say that the town board has access to their books and will be looking over how they spend their money. The four fire companies (Twin District, Bowmansville, Town Line and Millgrove) received a total of $3.01 million in fire protection contracts this year. The town paid out $325,000 in Firefighters Service Awards Program – an increase of 20.37% from last year.

There are always remarks made about the opulence of the fire houses, the equipment, how much the companies have in savings accounts, etc. It is time that these remarks and other rumors be laid to rest. The public has a right to the information on how the money is being spent as it is taxpayer money. We hear how fortunate the town is to have a volunteer fire department as the cost to go private would be much higher.

In turn, the fire companies did negotiate a two year fire protection contract with no increase. Their response was that they understood the difficult economic climate and were willing to sacrifice as well. Fudoli is not one to give away the farm as was the past practice and has been more than willing to share information – example, all the information that is now being posted on the town website and is coming on the LIDA.

Frank (anyone), someone sent me the following e-mail and I don’t know whether this is true or not:

Do you know that in order to use/rent the fire hall you must be a member of that entity. They can not rent their facilities out. I tried to do so and was rebuffed. We pay for it but can't use it, ain't America Grand.

I know of a few organizations that use a fire hall and don’t pay for the usage, but contribute a donation. Are there restrictions?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Do you know that in order to use/rent the fire hall you must be a member of that entity. They can not rent their facilities out. I tried to do so and was rebuffed. We pay for it but can't use it, ain't America Grand.
    I've not heard that. I used to make a lot of side $$ bartending weddings. A member used to get it for $1, but they had to provide their own beer, soda, etc...

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Someone should make an overview of the budget. Keep it simple but get a snapshot how the money is spent.

Above is just an example. Each volly hall should be able to product a ledger sheet easily. I am assuming they are using accounting software or using an accountant to track all the money.

If the 3.1 mil is being divided between 4 halls that is giving them almost $65,000 a month to spend or $14,903 a week. That is a lot of money if there is no true payroll to speak of.

The town paid out $325,000 in Firefighters Service Awards Program – an increase of 20.37% from last year
    Is that amount out of the 3.1 mil or after the fact?

Another reason to track this is to look for cost savings. Maybe one volly hall runs more efficient and the others can learn from that.

I know of a few organizations that use a fire hall and don’t pay for the usage, but contribute a donation. Are there restrictions?
    I tried as well and was turned down. "Members only", I was told.

WNYresident;929713]Someone should make an overview of the budget. Keep it simple but get a snapshot how the money is spent.

Above is just an example. Each volly hall should be able to product a ledger sheet easily. I am assuming they are using accounting software or using an accountant to track all the money.
    Are you serious? You think the fire districts would/should have to account to residents on what they spend?

If the 3.1 mil is being divided between 4 halls that is giving them almost $65,000 a month to spend or $14,903 a week. That is a lot of money if there is no true payroll to speak of.
    The fire district contract amounts are not equally funded:

Bowmansville - $1.14 million
    Twin District - $1.04 million
    Town Line - $727,045
    Millgrove - $103,093

TOWN OF LANCASTER, 2012 BUDGET SPECIAL DISTRICTS FUND - FIRE PROTECTION
    APPROPRIATIONS

FIRE PROTECTION
    SF3410 .4 Contractual Expenses

.411 Other (including OSHA physicals) - $20,000
    .412 Training and Education - $10,000
    .454 Telephone - $6,000
    .480 Fire Protection Contracts - $3,011,632
    481 Hydrant Rentals - E.C.W.A. - $225,000
    .482 Workers' Compensation - $155,000
    .483 Hydrant repairs - $10,000
    .484 Firefighters' Service Awards Program - $325,000

TOTAL FIRE PROTECTION 3,762,632

So you see that the Service Awards Program is separate from the fire contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Someone should make an overview of the budget. Keep it simple but get a snapshot how the money is spent.

Another reason to track this is to look for cost savings. Maybe one volly hall runs more efficient and the others can learn from that.
    These aren't monthly ledgers and aren't detailed.

Here's Bowmansville's 990 form -4/1/2010-3/31/2011
    http://www.guidestar.org/FinDocument...07eb8aad-9.pdf

Twin District's 990 form- 1/1/2010-12/31/2010
    http://www.guidestar.org/FinDocument...077ab42c-9.pdf

Town Line's 2010 990 form-
    http://www.guidestar.org/FinDocument...0749f04b-9.pdf

Millgrove's 2010 990-
    http://www.guidestar.org/FinDocument...07b40ae9-9.pdf

Georgia L Schlager

I find it difficult to believe that anyone would not appreciate the services the Lancaster volunteer firefighters provide for the town, nor deny them a Service Award Program that recognizes their dedication, the responsibility and potential danger of the job, and the time and effort that goes into training. It is always the politics involved and how the fire protection contract money is spent.

The new, two-year contracts with the four districts servicing Lancaster are retroactive to Jan. 1 and call for the companies to receive the same level of town support in 2012 and 2013 as they received in 2011; $3.01 million of the total $3.76 million budget.

At Monday evening’s town board meeting, resident Mike Fronczak asked about the work that was taking place at the Twin District fire facility. “No disrespect to the firefighters, they do a great job, but I have lived near the fire hall for 18 years and have seen the parking lot tore up multiple times. I know they raise some money and that the town provides funding, but what is the reason for breaking up the concrete and putting in snow-melt on the concrete that was just put in there approximately 18 months ago?”

Fronczak was informed that the fire company acts under their own budget.

Fronczak: “I notice that they are expanding in the back of the building as well, is that for a parking lot? Is there is a reason for it?

Supervisor Dino Fudoli responded that they obviously see a need for more parking. “I don’t have any information regarding reason. They submit a budget to us and we approve it, but we don’t go line-by-line reviewing what they do with that money.”

Fronczak: “I understand that, I just wonder how many times and at what cost are they going to tear up that concrete.”

Fudoli: “I don’t know, maybe there was something defective with it and the contractor that did it is redoing it.”

Councilman Mark Aquino: “Perhaps you should address it with the chief of Twin District.”

Fudoli: “Yeah, just like I addressed the issue of someone sleeping at another fire hall. I am just looking at how taxpayer money is being spent.

Fudoli: “Ultimately I believe the board was pleased with the budget that was just passed. This is the first year that the fire companies did not ask for a raise in over 15 years. They will hold the line on spending for two years (2012-2014). We didn’t go line-by-line in looking at past contracts, but we will look at discussing those things at the next contract time when negotiating takes place. We have a right to inspect their books and ultimately we will cull through that. We will make sure the money is spent wisely. I do believe that this year’s contract was fiscally responsible in that there will be no increase in contractual obligations for two years.”

Resident Lee Chowaniec: “I would like to ask a follow up question on the Twin District parking expansion. Is the town obligated to plow for the fire districts?”

Fudoli: “Twin District is a unique situation. When I walked into this job, I found there was a conflict between the highway department and the plowing of the fire departments. Twin Districts took it upon themselves to go out and hire a private contractor as a backup; nothing that I was in favor of as In the past the town always plowed it. Mr. Amatura (Highway Superintendent) had a point when he came to us and said that we are supposed to plow for the safety of the residents, not their banquet halls and everything else. He was concerned that this plowing cost was coming from his highway budget and not the General Fund."

“As I said, Twin District is a unique situation and that they went out and hired their own snow removal contractor. The town will still plow out the front of the building. There is a good point that this conversation will have to be had with others. I have a good relationship people from Twin District and we can have this discussion."

so who actually looks at their budget
    i cannot imagine with that amount of money
    that the town's cpa what is his name brown
    does not have full accounting of the fire dept budget
    and have a handle on the spending and what is actually
    being spent

fudoli should not assume all is well and good
    with this amount of money they should have a full
    perspective on what is spent/used/etc
    just the the police budget and the youth/rec center budget
    and so on

come on is the town so busy that we don't have this discussion and no the answers

There is a good point that this conversation will have to be had with others. I have a good relationship people from Twin District and we can have this discussion.- FUDOLI
    the above quote is my favorite. imagine that a cozy relationship with this particular fire dept. why? bc one of them was your running mates? we need a supervisor without these "good relationships".

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewGuy View Post
    the above quote is my favorite. imagine that a cozy relationship with this particular fire dept. why? bc one of them was your running mates? we need a supervisor without these "good relationships".
    I would not go down that path... Pre-fudoli I don't think you were complaining about "good relationships" on Giza's side of things....

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    I would not go down that path... Pre-fudoli I don't think you were complaining about "good relationships" on Giza's side of things....
    Agreed. The Giza ****show is over with. I've moved on. This has been no better from a "gimme, gimme" take it standpoint. I was very critical of the prev admin buy its over so let's move on w the same old same old status quo!

Seriously? The New Guy, c'mon.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewGuy View Post
    Because Giza didn't have his cronies? You sound like the polar opposite of 4248, and that is scary.

Hint: Every polititian owes somebody. Just depends which team you choose to be on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information