Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WHO is Primary Challenge?

WHO is Primary Challenge?

Just read the article. Primary Challenge will announce candidates on 4/15.
    Who, exactly makes these decisions?
    Is there a Board of Directors?
    Who elects them?
    Is there a treasurer? Who handles the funds?
    Wouldn't it make sense to let the hundreds of people who have been involved so far have a say in this?
    I think Roberto said in the article that over 500 people have volunteered their time. So why were there "only" 400 people at the meeting yesterday?

This identical post could go for Free Buffalo, as well.

You need to get your stories straight

I havent had a chance to repsond to some of the answers to my posts so i figure id do it all here....

From Russ:
    Actually by not registering as a PAC we have less restrictions. We would be considered a 501C I believe

a 501c is a non profit organization that cannot in anyway shape or support any candidates or specific party...Non partisan is key to 501c's

From Len's sermon on Saturday:

We are going to challenge well entrenched, well financed incumbents in primaries where gerrymandering is a factor... ...and we are going to remove these people from office in the Primaries.

Well let me tell you this, we’re not going to divulge WHO our candidates are

Ill refer you to page 311 of NYS Election Law:

“political committee” means any corporation aiding or promoting
    and any committee, political club or combination of one or more persons operating or cooperating to aid or to promote the success or defeat of a political party or principle, or of any ballot proposal; or to aid or take part in the election or defeat of a candidate for public office or to aid or take part in
    the election or defeat of a candidate for nomination at a primary election or convention, including all proceedings prior to such primary election, or of a candidate for any party position voted for at a primary election, or to aid or defeat the nomination by petition of an independent candidate for public office;
    but nothing in this article shall apply to any committee or organization for the discussion or advancement of political questions or principles without connection with any vote or to a national committee organized for the election
    of presidential or vice-presidential candidates; provided, however, that a person or corporation making a contribution or contributions to a candidate or a political committee which has filed pursuant to section 14-118 shall not, by that fact alone, be deemed to be a political committee as herein defined."

This sounds like the definition of what Primary Challenge is....which means you have to file....sorry

sounds like a political party and if this is the case...you better get to work cause the greens are barely on the ballot in erie county and you won't be either...

Our office will be fully functional by the end of next week.

who's paying for it? These are called "non canidate expenditures", also which need to be filed at the BOE
    again back to election law:
    "
    “non-candidate expenditures” means expenditures made by a party committee or a constituted committee to maintain a permanent headquarters and staff and carry on ordinary party activities not promoting the candidacy of specific candidates;

We have an event coordinator
    even if you donate 1000 pounds of hotdogs you have to declare it as an in-kind contribution.

We have over five hundred volunteers who have registered to walk petitions, put signs in their yards, go door to door handing out flyers, man the office, and put out literature. Any thing that needs to be done, we have a volunteer that will do it.

whose paying for these flyers and lawn signs? If any of them have your name on them Russ, im gonna want to know who paid for them.
    what good are they gonna do if your a 501c and they cannot have a anyone's name on them in the first place? they woouldnt even be allowed to say vote out incumbent...

It's not just politicians who will challenge the way you do things...
    People are watching this election like a hawk...
    Im not saying this to rain on your parade....but you have to follow the rules or your just as bad as they are...

Same applys for Free Buffalo

400 people x 10 bucks was it???

thats 4000 dollars...im gonna want to know where that $$$ goes....if more of 100 of it goes to a candidate and you dont disclose that... they are breaking the law and arent even out of the gates...nice....

More of Roberto Sermon:
    We’re going to take it away from special interests and political machines.

Dont talk about special interests when that is exactly what these groups have become in the first month of existense: who's behind them...let's see...

Len Roberto - - Preacher - businessman- Registered Republican
    Jim Ostrowski - proclaimed libertarian - Lawyer - Registered Republican
    Tom Bauerle - - Right Winged Talk show nut - Registered Republican
    Russ Thompson - - self proclaimed conservative - Registered Republican
    Lets see... a baptist preacher, a right winged talk show nut , a lawyer some other guy who has his name in the Buffalo News alot...hmm...

I have the creeps already..
    Buffalo's Blogging Community
    WNYmedia.net

I intenionally phrased my posting in a non-confrontational way.

I am looking for honest answers from the leader(s).

If the leader(s) is(are) out there, I'd like an answer.

I support the theory behind your cause, but how can you expect me to support you when I don't know if the leaders have the same political leanings as I do??

hey

Originally posted by therising
    I intenionally phrased my posting in a non-confrontational way.

I am looking for honest answers from the leader(s).

If the leader(s) is(are) out there, I'd like an answer.

I support the theory behind your cause, but how can you expect me to support you when I don't know if the leaders have the same political leanings as I do??

I emailed Jim once, asked a question and he never wrote back...why should I support him ?

I'm waiting to read who's running and why are they waiting until 4/15 to name them ?

I think your ( PC & FB) next move should be a political fundraiser dinner for about $150.00 a plate....humm 1,000 x $150.00 = $100,000 dollars....hummm

And in the paper its said you Reberto will wait until $50,000 is raised before you incorporate...I think you should do know not later...but again I don't fully trust you either Reberto...
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

Free Buffalo is a dba, pending receipt of enough pledges to justify commencing real operations. If we get $50,000 in pledges, we commence formal operations and incorporate. I am not asking for money, only pledges. Any surplus funds from the dba (highly unlikely) will either be given to Free Buffalo, Inc. if it forms or returned to contributors.

My plan was to pay for the first meeting by supplying the banquet hall with enough customers for a buffet to pay for the room. Due to the haste in planning the event (because of many urgent requests to hold a meeting), there was some confusion on our part as to the number attending the buffet, so we lost money.

Fortunately, due to unsolicited contributions, and book sales at the second meeting, we are now about even.

These were not fundraisers, but breakeven events, so, in the end, we managed to hold two of the largest political meetings in recent WNY history without spending organizational funds. Also, with virtually no staff and in an unusually short time.

Free Buffalo is and will be legally separate from Primary Challenge. At the two Free Buffalo meetings, Leonard Roberto spoke as I spoke at his event because we are pursuing similar goals by different means.

If I failed to answer an email, I am sorry. I have received hundreds and dozens of phone calls and dozens of letters. To total up the hours, days, dollars, and sleepless nights this effort has cost me to expend would be impossible.

I also apologize for being a Republican. That designation doesn't mean much to me. Both parties stink. I'd bet that I've written more articles attacking the Republican Party than whoever accused me of being a Republican. I’ve even attacked that modern Republican icon, Ronald Reagan (many times).

I really don't get these anonymous requests for information about Free Buffalo. It's really all on the website, available at meetings, or by phone. Both my numbers are in the book.

Nor do I really enjoy answering anonymous critics but I cannot let factual misstatements or implications go unanswered.

.....or to aid or take part in the election or defeat of a candidate for public office or to aid or take part in......
    I would really enjoy watching the legal backflips nessessary to sanction an organization that advocates "removing incumbants"...

After all, if such an organization doesn't have any candidates, you can't remove their candidates from the ballots. All that can be done is to "round up the leaders" and fine or imprison them.

Can't this website be considered an "organization"? Can't I "donate" to the support of this website? Doesn't this website advocate the removal of incumbants on a daily basis? Aren't we in violation of said restriction of political activity?

What a bunch of bull*****.
    Data is not the plural of Anecdote.

Doesn't this website advocate the removal of incumbants on a daily basis?

There may be a number of posting members that would like to see some incumbants voted out on a daily basis, but it is not the foundation of the website (speakupwny.com) itself.

Originally posted by Jim Ostrowski

Nor do I really enjoy answering anonymous critics but I cannot let factual misstatements or implications go unanswered.
    I started this thread with some questions, no statements or implications.
    You didn't answer any of my questions, so I'll ask them again:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who, exactly makes these decisions?
    Who elects them?
    Wouldn't it make sense to let the hundreds of people who have been involved so far have a say in this?
    I think Roberto said in the article that over 500 people have volunteered their time. So why were there "only" 400 people at the meeting yesterday?

This identical post could go for Free Buffalo, as well.

I did answer, but I will do so in unmistakable terms for the benefit of third parties--

Who exactly makes these decisions?

FREE BUFFALO DOES NOT RUN CANDIDATES

WE WILL NOT HAVE A BOARD UNLESS WE COMMENCE OPERATIONS WHICH WE WILL NOT DO UNLESS WE HAVE PLEDGES OF $50,000

Who elects them?

NOT APPLICABLE--SEE ABOVE.

I'M THE TREASURER. IT''S A DBA. BANK ACCOUNT AT CHARTER ONE, ELMWOOD.

THIS I ASSUME REFERS TO PC'S CANDIDATE ANNOUNCEMENT MEETING. FB DOESN'T RUN CANDIDATES SO THE QUESTION IS NOT APPLICABLE.

ASK LR, BUT'S IT'S A SILLY QUESTION.

Now, I, Jim Ostrowski, have some questions.

Who is therising?

What party is he in?

What is his political philosophy?

What is his real motive for attacking FB?

If he opposes us philosophically, which I suspect, why does he couch that opposition in procedural intricacies?

If you are so interested in FB, why don't you just go to a meeting where there is an open mike?

I'm an open book, pun intended, who are you?

[i]O

Now, I, Jim Ostrowski, have some questions.

Who is therising?

What party is he in?

What is his political philosophy?

What is his real motive for attacking FB?

If he opposes us philosophically, which I suspect, why does he couch that opposition in procedural intricacies?

If you are so interested in FB, why don't you just go to a meeting where there is an open mike?

I'm an open book, pun intended, who are you? [/B]
    Jim - You have chosen to make yourself a public figure, I have not.

When you ask people for pledges, with a goal of $50,000, you kinda have to expect that people have a right to ask questions, don't you?
    Or should they just give money (and buybooks) without asking questions.

You said that I oppose you philosophically???? Please try to read my postings better, before you make accusations....see my post near the top of this thread where I said :

Don't be so suspicious Counselor, I'm not out to get you. I simply wanted the truth.

Pun Intended - Yes, I know you are an open book (seller).

If you're looking to collect money from people, I find it odd (and yes, fishy) that you begrudge having to ask questions.

I really don't expect you to support me. I don't even know who you are. Nor do I think you want to contribute and just want a few questions answered.

"I support the theory behind your cause, but how can you expect me to support you when I don't know if the leaders have the same political leanings as I do??"

I've read that over about five times, but I have no idea what it means.

My own leanings are better known than any other "public figure" in WNY. Who has written more for a longer period of time about his leanings? Everything I've done in politics since age 17 is on the web or in my book. How could anyone who has taken the time to find out, have any doubts about where I stand politically?

By the way, most of my political activities over thirty years can be summed up: I did everything I could to fight the political class that destroyed Buffalo.

I guess you finally did answer my question.
    PC is You, and nobody but you. I was wondering if anyone else, besides you, was involved in the decision-making.

Good luck, and be careful about jumping the gun when you turn away potential supporters in the future - it could hurt book sales.

I went out of my way to be open-minded, and willing to listen, in my initial postings. You turned out to be incredibly defensive.

Hopefully, Roberto will be a little less full of himself.

Step back

I think you two people need to step-back a minute and take a rest before you begin a yelling match....politics yep...my dad was right there are two things you never can talk about and that's politics and religion....and here we are doing one of the two...lol TAKE A REST....have a glass of milk and some cookies....

Hey Jim, here is who I am within reason....

I'm a retired person who pays neither state of federal yearly taxes any longer.

I'm disabled so I can't get around often.

I'am a Democrate/independent. I always vote for who is the best person at that time, who make sence, and seem to have their finger on the issues but I've been fooled before; thank you Bill C lol.

My politcal philosiphy is just that, its mine, just like my vote is and I care no to share it for now.

I'm a War Vet and I may have to move soon because I can't afford to live here any more....

This is all I'll say.........
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

Oh yeah...

Oh yeah, one more thing...I strongly believe poeple just don't TRUST politics and after what's been going on here in Eire County I believe it has become even stronger or your numbers whould have growen must faster by now....
    Riven37
    _________

Ned is coming out

OH yeah, my scond oh yeah,....Mr. Ned Keening is going to run as of today...remember him....!!!
    Riven37
    _________

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information