Thread: Niagara Falls - Wallenda to wear safety harness for walk over falls

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Niagara Falls - Wallenda to wear safety harness for walk over falls

Niagara Falls

Read the Full Story in the Buffalo News

Wallenda to wear safety harness for walk over falls

Updated: May 21, 2012, 5:19 PM
    Nik Wallenda will wear a safety harness when he walks across Niagara Falls.
    The daredevil this afternoon said ABC-TV and other major sponsors have insisted he wear a tether during his 1,800-foot wire-walk, and the device is being designed now.
    "It's frustrating. It's upsetting," Wallenda said in an interview with The Buffalo News. "To me, personally, it takes away from it."

So think he should or not?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Niagara Falls

Read the Full Story in the Buffalo News

Wallenda to wear safety harness for walk over falls

So think he should or not?

I've heard Wallenda complain about it, but I haven't heard him make a case for not wearing a safety harness. The only difference it seems to make is whether he falls and lives or falls and dies.

Is this stunt about his skill or is it about his death defying stunt? Any damn fool can try a stunt that risks his life. But I doubt many people could walk across the wire under the conditions Wallenda will be faced with.

However, if he is performing the stunt just to risk his life, then the state should withdraw permission for his stunt.

Either he can or can't make it. If he falls, we don't need him to die to prove he couldn't do it. The fall will prove that. The harness will just eliminate a senseless result of the fall.

Then again, I would like to know whether he is a screamer or arm waver or both.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Why not put a parachute/parasail pack on?

http://askville.amazon.com/minimum-h...questId=259642

24.8 meters is the absolute minimum height a paratrooper can be dropped from
    Let us do some research

http://www.niagarafallslive.com/fact...gara_falls.htm

Height: 176 feet / 53.6 meters (due to rocks at the base actual fall is 70 feet/ 21.3 meters)
    I wonder where they are stringing the cable from and the height...

Maybe put an altimeter meter so it pops open even if he is screaming and waving....

Then charge someone like "mountain dew" to put their logo on the chute..

and stick one of these on his head...

http://gopro.com/

http://gopro.com/cameras/hd-hero2-outdoor-edition/

1 Head Strap

Here is what it would be like with a harness....

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    I've heard Wallenda complain about it, but I haven't heard him make a case for not wearing a safety harness. The only difference it seems to make is whether he falls and lives or falls and dies.

Is this stunt about his skill or is it about his death defying stunt? Any damn fool can try a stunt that risks his life. But I doubt many people could walk across the wire under the conditions Wallenda will be faced with.

However, if he is performing the stunt just to risk his life, then the state should withdraw permission for his stunt.

Either he can or can't make it. If he falls, we don't need him to die to prove he couldn't do it. The fall will prove that. The harness will just eliminate a senseless result of the fall.

Then again, I would like to know whether he is a screamer or arm waver or both.
    If he falls, he'll blame the fall on the tether

Georgia L Schlager

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Base Jump Inside a Church, Brussels Belgium

It is so massive one can actually BASE jump inside from the top of the cupola approximately 54 meters (177 ft) above the floor. Or at least this guy did.
    Remember he would be landing in water correct? Or more of a rockey area?

if he is tethered it will something anyone could try. so you make it twenty feet or two hundred your tethered . over a thousand feet with the mist could limit how many try it. the tether makes it just another thrill ride
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

Quote Originally Posted by granpabob View Post
    if he is tethered it will something anyone could try. so you make it twenty feet or two hundred your tethered . over a thousand feet with the mist could limit how many try it. the tether makes it just another thrill ride
    As I pointed out, is the purpose of the stunt to risk his life or show case his skills?

If it is merely to risk his life, then the state should withdraw permission.

If it is to show case his skills, then the harness just prevents a disaster. And unless it is a disaster people are interested in, it has no impact on the event.

the only reason to watch someone walking on a wire is the risk . take away the risk and he might as well be walking the guard rail along some road. With a tether you dont have to be brave their is no danger why watch
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

Couldn't they put a safety net down under the wire as opposed to having something attached to him?

Georgia L Schlager

Thread Information