Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Send Naples Packing

I was trying to point out the fallacy in your drawing Holt into a discussion about Naples. Saying "Naples could have done what Holt did" does not add to the discussion; neither does my restroom quote, but it was provided to maybe make you see the light (but sarcasm is a subtle knife, lost on the dull).

If Ms. Naples is so sure of her stance, she should make the documents public. Take the wind out of the News' sails.

On the other hand, the fact that her (nay, the county's and ours!) business followed Atanasio as he moved from brokerage to brokerage shows that it was the person she was patronising, and not the brokerage house per se'. This, my friend, is favoritism, plain and simple.

Let us adopt an objective standard of behavior on the part of our elected representatives, and not a subjective one ("at least she's better than that other thief!").

I never said that she is a theif. I said let's find out if she is a theif. The issue will be investigated and resolved. You're calling to send her packing without any of the official documents being looked at, so who's being objective here?

Further, there's nothing wrong with "favoritism" if she was getting the good deals. If you get a good deal from a certain person or business, you go back to them in the future for further business. Companies work with "preferred vendors" all the time, and you don't always get the absolute rock bottom lowest price on every purchase. However, there may be bigger picture deals in place so that you save money in the long run.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...07/1032994.asp

An independent adviser determined that Atanasio's firm - Bear Stearns at the time - was worth the higher fee. The advisory firm's two officials had averaged out Bear Stearns and Salomon Smith Barney equally, but Bear Stearns went on to take the lead position.
    The only fallacy in this thread is you jumping to conclusions.

P.S. Those that feel the need to point out that they're intellectually superior usually aren't.

Yipes, calm down you two. Remember, we're generally on the same side trying to make the elected creeps accountable.

Hack-I've been your buddy on some other threads. Here, I think you can cut Solar some slack.

I read his post as saying "look at the difference in the way the two were handling this. George was hiding two months ago. Then he tried holding Saturday morning "press conferences. Now, his attorney has duct tape around his mouth. Nancy at least held a press conference during working hours."

I also read into his comments that if there's something here, she should be nailed two.

Here's a yuck for the both of you. When Nancy was caught not paying her taxes (Just like George-----come on, can't I even mention it), Bauerle was pronouncing her future political life as over because she didn't get on the air with him within 16 minutes.

As a spouse, I can guess what went on. Nancy tried to track down her husband (who probably turned his cell phone off and went for a three hour walk in a closed park)to: 1)get his side of the story; 2)CHEW HIS ASS OFF FOR PROBABLY ENDING HER CAREER.

Just my take on the previous "oops".

Re: dem or rep is there realy much differance

Originally posted by granpabob
    Just like Groucho Marx said "i'm against it"
    Horsefeathers! One of the funniest movies ever made, but thats another thread.

To me Naples did pretty much the same as Giambra and his office furniture, took care of a pal.
    Sure it was "Legal" but it still stinks. It is ironic that it wasn't one favored firm. The county just happened to get the best deal at the firm her pal happened to be at at the given time. She sees nothing wrong with that?
    Out and out patronage.
    I will be honest. I backed Higgins against her for comptroller, but after a year or two I began to think she was good at what she did and it was the right job for the right person.
    I did not vote for her for congress because I thought she was better suited for the position she had. Higgins was a legislator, n
    Naples was an accountant. I thought she brought knowledge and expirience to the job.
    I thought she was a person of integrity and honesty. In short I thought she wasn't a normal politician. She had me fooled.
    She is no different then the rest. Get rid of her. The fact that she can disregard paying taxes because the penalties are trival to her so timleness isn't a financial issue was a slap in the face to all of us who couldn't afford a $8,000+ penalty.
    This is an outrage, the rich taking care of the rich with our money.
    Get rid of her in November. I would be surprized if she insulted us more by running.
    As far as her being a balance For Joel, do you think any Democrat would let Joel get away with anything?
    We dodged a bullet when we didn't elect her to congress. She really could have taken care of her rich buddies there.
    No doubt in my mind she would have been a rubber stamp for the fat cats, and at our expense.
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

By the way, what happened to biker? I miss the old coot.

Citymouse:

Your rants about rich guys and fat cats might get me started again.

You said you really didn't think all rich guys were thieves.

I've been real good.

Haven't asked where was your word-eating party being held.

Haven't said what I think about union thugs in a while (do I spell Ervolino correctly?)

Don't get me started, buddy.

citymouse,
    The county just happened to get the best deal at the firm her pal happened to be at at the given time.
    No, the county in fact did not get the best deal; according to the Snooze, going with him cost the county $500K.

$500K here, $500K there, and soon we're talking about real money...

Trust the politicians to waive the "competitive bidding" requirement for big counties like Erie County (which is where the real money is).

Is Ms. Naples going to move to a competitive bidding setup?

Sorry about the "fat cat" remark.
    I do think she would have more for corporate America and less for the little tax payer. That part was an opinion and I should have kept it to myself because it dosen't pertain to the topic.
    BUT.................
    Her chasing from company to company to follow some one who is a friend and supporter. Some one who happens to be a backdoor (Illegal?) financial contributor, to me is a version of coronyism with a new twist.
    The fact that it is the rich helping the rich with our money just seems to add credibility to my stereotypical few of the "Privliged Class".
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

as far as my word eating goes. I printed my remarks put them through the paper shredder and covered them with Marinara sauce.
    I had them last night covered with Romano cheese and a bottle of Merlot.
    They were pretty tasty, actually. One more bottle of merlot and I might have had 2nds.

Amazing, isn't it? "Watchdog" Nancy Naples spends an extra $500,000 of our money to steer business to a contributor and people here are actually defending her.

Treachery made a monster out of me

From PoliticsWNY.com:
    The Nancy Naples bond sale story on the front page of the Buffalo News the other day is old news. Naples has won awards for her handling of County finances, specifically selling bonds & return on investment, i.e., interest. So please no more emails on why I am not dealing with the Naples story. It is not a story. Just a very good Buffalo News reporter, Matt Spina, being sold a load of manure & shoveling it. I know where the story came from & believe me it is not worth the paper it was reported on! ###
    I tend to agree with Mr. Illuzzi...

Hmmm-
    Furniture is a scandal.
    Underwriting isn't.

Find the logic in that one! Even if it was bid out and he was the low bidder, why is she accepting donations through the back-door from this guy? It reeks. If she is of outstanding character- she'd turn down and/or return any money from him or his firm. Amazing how this guy jumps firms and the business follows him. He must be REALLY good!

I think the way she put it about following him from firm to firm was that she was "comfortable dealing with his people" what ever that means.
    Does he own these people? Who are they and why are they his?
    Do his "people" change from firm to firm or are they the same "people"?

I think that the whole system is corrupt, and little by little the truth is coming out.

Maybe Naples is on the level that bids were put out and for some reason the same person came up with the best deal regardless of what firm he worked for.

What a guy, does he know anything about personal investments, I'd like to meet him, sounds like a winner to me!!

Yeah, right -- a "new-comer" in any financial institution being able to offer the "best" deal in town?? Is his name really "Trump"??

Guess what Nancy, "you're fired"!!
    "What the hell is going on?"

I do think that competitive bidding---opening the envelope and the low bidder wins---seems to be the only way to go with government purchases. If you specs are complete, you'll get exactly what you're paying for.

This business of "I trust these people" or "I'm comfortable with them" is too fuzzy. It's a very short slide to "I like to deal with my friends because I know them and like them."

Even if you think Nancy Naples has infallible judgment---and there's enough on the table to suggest she doesn't---that type of 'standard" will certainly be abused by the next person. Or the one after that.

I will say I'm a capitalist and I'm happy with what has been happening with Elliot Spitzer's revelations. He's revealed findings---sordid and valid IMO---and the financial industry has responded by firing lots of executives. Over the past two years, heads have rolled at Putnam, State Street, Strong Financial. AIG is only the latest. I wish the public sector were as prompt, if resignations or removal ever occur.

I'm not saying the financial services industry is dirtier than the rest. I'm saying that the AG pursued his investigations and heads rightly rolled.

Forget Hevesi looking at things in EC; maybe we should invite Eliot in.

I understand the concept of wanting to work with vendors you're comfortable with and trust. When I bid out an important printing job, if the bids are close I often choose the printer I'm familiar with, even if their bid comes in slightly higher. That's the premium I pay for peace of mind on the project.

$500,000, however, is not slightly higher. And that's only one incident.

Treachery made a monster out of me

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information