Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FiOS ?????

Question FiOS ?????

Over the last few months West Seneca has been beseiged by Verizon crews and trucks with FiOS signs and information Kioks. Now... I will admit I never stopped at one of the Kiosks, but the other day I spent a fair amount of time on Verizon's website. What I learned there about FiOS as an alternative to Time Warner Cable and Internet service made me want 'to sign up'. Which I tried to do..

I ended up on the phone with a customer service rep who told me "its not available in WS, even though you saw all that activity... its political and it has to be worked out with the Town to make it available"...

My question is; does anyone know anything about this?

Cool

no fios in west seneca until there is a big check from verizon to clark's c.e. campaign fund!

BigGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy
    no fios in west seneca until there is a big check from verizon to clark's c.e. campaign fund!

Are you being cynical, speculative or factual?

I believe each community has a cable television franchise agreement with their respective cable provider. Perhaps they require something similar or there may be a provision in the current one that prevents this from being offered.
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Wiki Says...

Quote Originally Posted by dtwarren
    I believe each community has a cable television franchise agreement with their respective cable provider. Perhaps they require something similar or there may be a provision in the current one that prevents this from being offered.
    Wikipedia says: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verizon_FiOS that Hamburg and OP were scheduled for availability in Summer 2006; any confirmation of that out there?

My bet is that any cable franchise agreement that demanded exclusivity in a community would be deemed monopolistic. They are not a regulated utility right?

I believe you are right about any agreement containing an exclusivity provision. I was thinking more along the lines that one needs to be negotiated and agreed to or that the current agreements with others may require some type of rate or fee adjustment which may need to be resolved or considered in the current negotiations.
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Ok, this makes sense...

I believe you are right about any agreement containing an exclusivity provision. I was thinking more along the lines that one needs to be negotiated and agreed to or that the current agreements with others may require some type of rate or fee adjustment which may need to be resolved or considered in the current negotiations.
    My questions then are: what is the state of the negotiations, who is doing the negotiating, is there a timetable we can look forward to?

Oh, and on another related topic. I recently revised my Verizon phone (landline) service to "Freedom Essentials" it is a bundle that includes voice mail service which I had over TWELVE YEARS AGO IN NORTH BUFFALO.

Well, it seems that the Verizon VoiceMail service is also NOT AVAILABLE in West Seneca. This is another mystery to me. Any ideas on why?

Fios

Cindy,
    Don't know when you spoke to the rep from Verizon, but I had Fios installed in early December. IT IS GREAT! My INTERNET connection and phone lines are now fiber optic, clear and faster than ever. Sometime in mid 2007, television connectivity should be available once the FCC gives clearance. I'm not sure if it is availabble in every part of WS at this time. I live near the plaza, and many people in the neighborhood have had it installed. (They put a sign on the lawn)
    Contact me if you'd like more info. You do know me, I just prefer to remain in the shadows. You can have LP personally get in touch with me M-F
    Think about it.
    I'd rather be hated for who I am... than loved for who I'm not!

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho1
    Cindy,
    Don't know when you spoke to the rep from Verizon, but I had Fios installed in early December. IT IS GREAT! My INTERNET connection and phone lines are now fiber optic, clear and faster than ever. Sometime in mid 2007, television connectivity should be available once the FCC gives clearance. I'm not sure if it is availabble in every part of WS at this time. I live near the plaza, and many people in the neighborhood have had it installed. (They put a sign on the lawn)
    Contact me if you'd like more info. You do know me, I just prefer to remain in the shadows. You can have LP personally get in touch with me M-F
    Think about it.
    I sent you a private message.

The trucks you see all over are for the crews running the fiber and installing the necessary hardware. That's only the first step in the process of being able to offer FiOS to an individual household. You can sign up on Verizon.com to be notified when it's available for your phone number.

Around here, the TV service is not yet available to customers who have FiOS service. A recent FCC regulation change should speed that process along.

Quote Originally Posted by SolarEclipse
    The trucks you see all over are for the crews running the fiber and installing the necessary hardware. That's only the first step in the process of being able to offer FiOS to an individual household. You can sign up on Verizon.com to be notified when it's available for your phone number.

Around here, the TV service is not yet available to customers who have FiOS service. A recent FCC regulation change should speed that process along.
    Thanks Solar; interesting link.

I've had my Fios since August and love it. I heard from a friend that works installing cable that the courts have ruled on the television cable and they have given the towns 90 days to come to an agreement on the new coverage. they were waiting for the existing cable contracts to run out now it looks like Fios will provide Television in Jan or Feb. My Internet is clearer four or five times as fast and able to have five or six working windows at a time. the phone service comes with unlimited USA long distance. MY home now Has a modem with three computers attached and a wireless system for the laptops. my son set up a wireless connection to my stereo so I can play the music collection I have on my computer on the main household music system. I talked to a Verizon installer and found out the television part will cost $39.00 for digital hd. it also has almost 200 stations on this basic service. my intranet cost $29.90 it will go up to 34.00 next year the phone is also arround 30.00 all three will cost $99.00 when packaged. Hbo and others are extra
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

Thanks Grandpabob

Quote Originally Posted by granpabob
    I've had my Fios since August and love it. I heard from a friend that works installing cable that the courts have ruled on the television cable and they have given the towns 90 days to come to an agreement on the new coverage. they were waiting for the existing cable contracts to run out now it looks like Fios will provide Television in Jan or Feb. My Internet is clearer four or five times as fast and able to have five or six working windows at a time. the phone service comes with unlimited USA long distance. MY home now Has a modem with three computers attached and a wireless system for the laptops. my son set up a wireless connection to my stereo so I can play the music collection I have on my computer on the main household music system. I talked to a Verizon installer and found out the television part will cost $39.00 for digital hd. it also has almost 200 stations on this basic service. my intranet cost $29.90 it will go up to 34.00 next year the phone is also arround 30.00 all three will cost $99.00 when packaged. Hbo and others are extra
    All this sounds great... good info even better for the sake of competition..

Competition is what will bring this economy arround, not the granting of monoplies and exclusive franchises!

Competition is what will bring this economy arround, not the granting of monoplies and exclusive franchises!
    Yes, and I think there is a cable compnay that may be starting to break a sweat.

What I do not understand is that TW still offers deep discounts for those who want to sign up...... Why do that??? This is what it costs glad to have you. It is almost so deceitful what they do. Someone has to pay for the reduced revenue stream for the promo period and then TW cries poor mouth about the cost to offer certain channels......

My cousin called today asking about DirecTV and internet connectivity. He is ready to bail on TW. I am so glad I made the wise choice and got rid of cable service for TV.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information