Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shocking headline of the day

East of Millersport and now on Facebook at facebook.com/absolivious

Shocking headline of the day

Amherst considers hooking up to solar system - Buffalo News, Tuesday, Nov 11, 2008

Go ahead. Make up your own joke.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I looked into this and I don't believe it's worth the savings just yet.

State grants? Big deal it's still our money grant or not.

Takes too long to actually save money. Be green in less expensive ways.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Hey Dan Ward?

“I think we should seriously consider this,” said Mohan, who saw the solar system installed in Brant several months ago.
    Council Members Daniel Ward and Mark Manna agreed.
    Tell them the true cost if a state grant wasn't available. Then show everyone how long it would take to get the system to pay for itself if the grants weren't available. The state is deep in the debt and over budget. WHY add to that burden with more state grants?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Here check this out..

http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregion/story/445176.html

In Orchard Park, for example, the state’s $143,000 equipment grant paid for a system that should save the town $4,000 a year in utility bills. At that rate, the system would pay for itself in about 36 years, Lynch said — but such systems have an expected life of only 20 to 25 years, as the solar cells gradually wear out.
    Orchard Park’s solar panels are guaranteed for 20 years, Piasecki said — at which time they’ll probably need to be dismantled to replace the building’s 20-year roof.
    Don't piss away our money on this. $143,000 is our money. In 36 years most of us reading this post will be dead. Not that I don't want to see liberty systems make money but in this case find another client.

agreed ... just like with any new technology - you don't jump in when it is in its first generation unless you are rich and have the money (fyi - a municipality doesn't have the money).

Wait a bit - the price will come down and then it might be worth it.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by hate politics View Post
    agreed ... just like with any new technology - you don't jump in when it is in its first generation unless you are rich and have the money (fyi - a municipality doesn't have the money).

Wait a bit - the price will come down and then it might be worth it.
    “I think we should seriously consider this,” said Mohan, who saw the solar system installed in Brant several months ago.
    Council Members Daniel Ward and Mark Manna agreed.
    Here's what I think. THESE PEOPLE need their heads examined.

YOU guys are the root of the issue of WHY NYS runs over budget and is in debt.

Are you doing this so you can tell a group of people "Look what we did" we helped lower our electricity cost". BS. You didn't because you won't tell them that you pissed away their money in the form of a grant that was their money to begin with. MOST people will be dead before there is any benefit from that one item.

GRANTS are nothing more than my money and YOUR MONEY being pissed away on a lot of COMPLETELY useless and senseless ITEMS.

DAN WARD? Mark Manna? Mohan?

How about registering and telling us why you believe it's wise to piss away money on this?

I agree. all local politicians think that state grants are somehow not our money. nuff said - I am dead against it until it is cost effective (something less than 36 years).

I agree but I don't think there will be any grants forth coming from NY State. If the gov takes away money from the schools that was already earmarked, I doubt they will be handing over $$$ for new projects and pipe dreams.

Looking into wind energy makes more sense than solar.

Quote Originally Posted by Add It Up View Post
    Looking into wind energy makes more sense than solar.
    Especially in WNY

Quote Originally Posted by absolivious View Post
    Especially in WNY
    In the Netherlands, off the cost of Amsterdam, they're building 100 wind towers that have blade 100 meters in length. Why don't we do something similar in lake Ontario or Erie?

Why can't we have a leader that will make a real decision???

Simple WNY answer to proposals for change

Quote Originally Posted by Dougles View Post
    In the Netherlands, off the cost of Amsterdam, they're building 100 wind towers that have blade 100 meters in length. Why don't we do something similar in lake Ontario or Erie?

Why can't we have a leader that will make a real decision???
    Because real decisions might involve something that's new and different, and anything that's new and different could upset the status quo, and that's bad.

Y'UNNERSTAN'?

Quote Originally Posted by absolivious View Post
    Especially in WNY
    Sounfds to me that Californians who live in the path of the Santa Ana winds, should give up trying to live there and put up windmills instead.

Quote Originally Posted by speaker View Post
    Sounfds to me that Californians who live in the path of the Santa Ana winds, should give up trying to live there and put up windmills instead.
    Well give those fires a few more days and there won't be anyone living there!!

T. Boone Pickens was so into wind power when the cost of oil was high. Of course his intentions were pure and based on preserving the planet, yadda,etc.

The price of oil goes down and where is T. Boone???? Improving energy sources should be an investment in the future implemented in the present. The reality is $$$$$. What's in it for me?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information