Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Micromanagement?

Micromanagement?

From the Buffalo News:
    "Some might consider that micromanagement," Marlette said. "Micromanagement of the town's budget is our job."

This statement was made to justify Marlette and Carroll transferring $1.2 million of the town department's remaining budgets into contingency so that departments will now have to request the money through the town board for the rest of the year to cover their expenses.

"...they'll need to justify their purchases."

This appears to be a thinly veiled attempt at hiding a budget shortfall to the tune of $40,000 which was taken from the remainder of the department's budgets and "was transferred into various town gas and oil accounts, which have had shortfalls..."

Shouldn't we expect more shortfalls before the end of the year since snow season is now upon us? This is an attempt to look like "we're taking care of your money" when really it is to hide the shortfalls and mismanagement of the budget from last year. Who is going to make up the shortfalls from the departments when they can't meet what they thought was their budget for the year and planned for?

"Department heads with the Recreation, Highway and Youth departments protested that some of the money that is supposed to be transferred from their accounts has already been spent, though the bills might not yet have cleared."

The time to micromanage is at the budget planning level, not after the departments have made plans based upon their approved budgets.
    Something that wasn't done in the budget for 2009 either. Will this happen again next year?

Another sham! The losers: Amherst residents.

Quote Originally Posted by Add It Up View Post
    From the Buffalo News:
    "Some might consider that micromanagement," Marlette said. "Micromanagement of the town's budget is our job."

This statement was made to justify Marlette and Carroll transferring $1.2 million of the town department's remaining budgets into contingency so that departments will now have to request the money through the town board for the rest of the year to cover their expenses.

This appears to be a thinly veiled attempt at hiding a budget shortfall to the tune of $40,000 which was taken from the remainder of the department's budgets and "was transferred into various town gas and oil accounts, which have had shortfalls..."

Shouldn't we expect more shortfalls before the end of the year since snow season is now upon us? This is an attempt to look like "we're taking care of your money" when really it is to hide the shortfalls and mismanagement of the budget from last year. Who is going to make up the shortfalls from the departments when they can't meet what they thought was their budget for the year and planned for?

"Department heads with the Recreation, Highway and Youth departments protested that some of the money that is supposed to be transferred from their accounts has already been spent, though the bills might not yet have cleared."

The time to micromanage is at the budget planning level, not after the departments have made plans based upon their approved budgets.
    Something that wasn't done in the budget for 2009 either. Will this happen again next year?

I've got a great idea, how about each department has it's budget. If they go over it, the overage comes out of the Dept. head salary since they didn't do there job and manage as they should!

As far a our town board, i say we scrap them and let REAL human beings run it!

If this article is factual, I cannot believe that their exists over $877,000 in surplus in this years budget. From what I have heard department heads were not notified of this resolution, so if they did not completely read what was placed on the agenda, they would have no knowledge that their approved budgets were raided. That being said, I can see the need to be concerned over some individuals just spending any surplus at years end, but comments were made that some department heads have outstanding bills that must be paid out of these accounts once the invoice (or whatever) has been returned by the vendor. Now it appears that any expenditures must be approved by a majority of the TB, but they do not meet until two weeks from now. Fiscal restraint is the prudent thing to do, but I believe it could have been handled in a different way.

It's kind of like "I know the money was in there yesterday when I purchased the ....., now I get the bill and the money has been taken out of the account because my budget was just cut short!" So the question is... now what do you do?
    Life, Liberty and the Pursuit Of All That Threaten It
    What if the Hokey-Pokey IS what it's all about?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Dougles View Post
    I've got a great idea, how about each department has it's budget.

Don't they have it?

Quote Originally Posted by Add It Up View Post
    From the Buffalo News:

I looked all through Monday's and Tuesday's News and did not see this. When was it in?

Quote Originally Posted by left wing View Post
    I looked all through Monday's and Tuesday's News and did not see this. When was it in?
    Tuesday morning, I believe. There is also an article in the Bee today.

Also, in the bee -

"The board also approved a resolution to keep Council Member Deborah Bruch Bucki's seat vacant when she is expected to take over as town clerk in January.

This would put the board at six members; three Republicans and three Democrats.

Any board member could still come forward in January with a resolution asking for an appointment. Four votes would be needed to pass that, or any resolution, if the board goes to six members.

Marlette said he would like to see the issue taken one step further and put a proposition on a ballot, asking the residents how many members they think the board should have."

does he really want to know the answer to that question - especially when he voted against reducing the size of the board on two separate occassions.

Quote Originally Posted by hate politics View Post
    Also, in the bee -

"The board also approved a resolution to keep Council Member Deborah Bruch Bucki's seat vacant when she is expected to take over as town clerk in January.

Any board member could still come forward in January with a resolution asking for an appointment. Four votes would be needed to pass that, or any resolution, if the board goes to six members.

Marlette said he would like to see the issue taken one step further and put a proposition on a ballot, asking the residents how many members they think the board should have."

does he really want to know the answer to that question - especially when he voted against reducing the size of the board on two separate occassions.
    but do you honestly think he'll do it? Or do you think it's just his typicall talk? I think the next election we should be allowed to get rid of the 6 that are left and vote a whole new crue in. but there's one rule, the new people can never have worked in any form of government, weather it be as a town, state or federal worker, held office, or worked for anyone or be married to anyone whose held any "cheese" position.

Let's see the last few TB members that meet your requirements: Bucki, Schratz, Mohan & O' Laughlin. Really the last true administrator the Town has had in office was T. Ahern. Too bad he could not complete his term for I think the town would be in better shape now.

I agree about Ahern.

[/QUOTE]
    does he really want to know the answer to that question - especially when he voted against reducing the size of the board on two separate occassions.[/QUOTE]

Actually the previous resolution to downsize was a simply to ask a committee to make a decision. I don't beleive there was ever a resolution to specifically downsize the board put forward for a vote. Only some nonsense to have the attorney or some comiittee to tell them what to do.

East of Millersport and now on Facebook at facebook.com/absolivious
    Also, in the bee -

This would put the board at six members; three Republicans and three Democrats.."
    Even numbers are BAD
    ...what happens in the event of a tied critical vote....??

Quote Originally Posted by absolivious View Post
    Even numbers are BAD
    ...what happens in the event of a tied critical vote....??

The motion fails.

Also, in the bee -

3 democrats in name only. This would really be a Republican supermajority with Mohan and Manna being turncoats. It's really more like 1 democrat and 5 republicans. There is no chance that there would ever be 4 votes to fill Bucki's position.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information