Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The TS & His Town Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
    Gan, $1.47 for a medium @ Timmes
    But you don't have those letters!

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Sorry, wrong letters. Should have been PMP (project management professional). My guess is with that & a buck, it might get you a cup of coffee. How impressed are we??
    Isn't this the supervisor's title?

I heard something yesterday that borderlines on impossible if it were not told to me by someone that works in the Eng. Dept. I guess the new TE had a low or flat tire and proceeded to take his car to the Eng. Dept maintainence area (behind his office), when he asked someone (an employee for many yrs) to assist him in the repair, the employee stated that they cannot repair cars for the public. Like I said before, this department head is truly out of touch with what needs to be done to head such a larger department. To have individuals within the same building (not that very big) not know who you are based on your ignorance of the overall picture of proper management, is not something that is needed in this town. Thsi is by far not an isolated case.

privatize the engineering department ... nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by hate politics View Post
    Do you have ANY clue how much that would cost a town of this size???

much less than the salary, benefits and pension we are paying now ...

Do we pay pension? I was under the impression that was a state thing. Also, if we paid engineering firms to do all the work for the town, it would be financial suicide. No one will do the job for free, you know! And good engineers are not cheap. Do you think we should privatize Highway too? How about the Town Clerk?

Privatizing the engineering dept. would cost a fortune. Engineers in the private sector make a lot more than Town emnployees. Plus, a private firm would add on overhead costs and a profit.

I am from the outside (business) and many perceptions are tha in most cases it is less costly to privatize many aspects of government, but studies have shown that it is overall untrue plus the need to have control of the outcome. That being said, the town should have many years ago completed the study and implementation of merging their Highway/Eng. Departments for more efficient use resources and manpower and through attrition rationally lowering possibly the work force. That being said, I continue to hear that the TE appointment outside of the TS taking a liking to him (listens to most every thing he says) is a continuing problem.

Quote Originally Posted by hate politics View Post
    Better would be to have an effective engineering staff for routine issues and to contract outside for more intensive needs. First you will have to stop the supervisor from interfering. It's impossible to get things done when you don't really know who's making the final decisions (this applies in the private and public sectors).

good points made ... for the time being, I think it might be beneficial if the TE department is used by the Village of Williamsville on a per project basis (for a fee). I believe it would save the Village money and give the TB another additional revenue stream. that appears to make sense.

From what I heard, Mohan has rejected that idea (or completely priced it out of the market for the village to consider).

Watching the TB meeting, the TE proposed a resolution to hire a Consultant, but was tabled until he gets an MOU signed by the Union to allow it. I wonder how that is going.
    Life, Liberty and the Pursuit Of All That Threaten It
    What if the Hokey-Pokey IS what it's all about?

I find it interesting that the TE as well as the TS found it fit to bring this issue up to a vote without this MOU. You wonder why there is so much distrust within town government, this is a prime example. The TS speaks of transparency in town government, but does the complete opposite. Now he has an unknowing individual managing one of the towns most important departments and is leading him along by the nose with his deception.

Staff from the IT department are being transferred to Engineering. Whats' up with that??? I think one is the assistant department head. Apparently he is close to Bucki because she had a resolution to keep him at IT.

Do they have plans to outsource IT? Could that save money?

Do other departments out souce jobs? Does recreation have staff to keep everything"on ice"? Does the building, highway, buidling maintenance have staff to do electrical, plumbing, roofing, hivac, concrete, etc or do they hire outside?

I have heard that the TS and at least a majority of the TB were talked into moving the GIS (Government Information System) people in the IT Dept. down to Eng. Dept. to concentrate on the TS drainage study even though they are responsible for support of the Building, Planning & Assessors Office. Some want IT to be responsible for just that. As far as minor repairs, I believe the town has employees to do those repairs.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information