Thread: Jackson aiming to dislodge Kuwik in Democratic primary

Jackson aiming to dislodge Kuwik in Democratic primary

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...23/1073503.asp

A well-known high school coach and administrator said Tuesday he will mount a primary campaign for the Erie County Legislature in what could be the first of many challenges to incumbents stemming from the county budget crisis.
    Thomas J. Jackson, who was head football coach at West Seneca East High School from 1985 to 1995, cited the Legislature's "failed leadership" for his decision to take on veteran Legislator Edward J. Kuwik, D-Lackawanna, in the Democratic primary in September.

"When this fiasco hit, I thought it was time for an ordinary citizen to step up," Jackson said. "Someone has to try and straighten out this mess."

While it is not unusual for legislative candidates to explore candidacies at this early date, Jackson's decision to mount a primary challenge and his agenda may gain some attention this year. Kuwik, a former Lackawanna mayor, has served in County Hall for 22 years.

Kuwik has not yet indicated whether he will run for re-election, but Jackson said he will run for the seat no matter what. He is not affiliated with a citizens organization that is planning to mount a number of primary campaigns, he said, adding that he simply wants to run.

"Looking at the feeding frenzy that's happened, I just think it's time for some levelheaded people there," he said. "Right now, everything is driven by rage."

Jackson said his platform calls for cutting the salary of legislators in half, to $21,000, for a true part-time position, and holding Legislature meetings at night so all may participate.

He has served as a teacher, administrator and coach in West Seneca for 34 years. He is a graduate of Bishop Timon High School and St. Bonaventure University, and earned a master's degree from Canisius College.

Re: Jackson aiming to dislodge Kuwik in Democratic primary

Jackson said his platform calls for cutting the salary of legislators in half, to $21,000, for a true part-time position, and holding Legislature meetings at night so all may participate. [/B][/QUOTE]

Cut to real part time position...$18,000 minus all those benefits or some benefits + $15,000 per year.....its a part time job...I beleve the Legislators made their positions full time by adding extra staffing that isn't needed....I'll say it again...this is not Washington DC.
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

'part-time position"???

Lot's of folks around here would be happy to make $21,000 in a full-time position..

Actually, I think representative govenment on a local basis should be done for "free", "you serve because you're concerned", not to make a "buck"; then it truely becomes "part-time"; almost hobby in nature, one does it because one wants to and enjoys the fruits of ones labor -- a "great society".

Sort of being a leader in the Boy/Girl Scouts; just get it done.

Smile

I know Mr.Jackson personally, and this man is the real deal. I wish him the best of luck for beating Kuwik.

welcome CHANGEnow. Hope you can provide some good information to the residents of this district that will support to Jackson.

Let's see what we can do to get this thread moved to the candidates forum.

Jackson said his platform calls for cutting the salary of legislators in half, to $21,000,

BTW- Is this what all the PC candidate have to follow??? ... reducing the Legislature pay? Don't you know this will have to go through the State? And it can only be changed if there is an adjustment to the population size?

Let's see what we can do to get this thread moved to the candidates forum.

Thanks Admin.

You get what you pay for.

You can't have it both ways. Halving the pay will only make it worse. They'll never show up. They need to be there 80 hours a week to fix the mess they created.

Besides $21,000 will make a nice subsidy for Mr. Jackson's state teachers pension.

Possibly he thinks that he would not be eligible under the pension rules, but elected salaries are exempt.

Re: You get what you pay for.

Originally posted by omar
    You can't have it both ways. Halving the pay will only make it worse. They'll never show up. They need to be there 80 hours a week to fix the mess they created.

Besides $21,000 will make a nice subsidy for Mr. Jackson's state teachers pension.

Possibly he thinks that he would not be eligible under the pension rules, but elected salaries are exempt.
    I really don't know what to think on pay for legislators and other elected officials....Everyone likes to say we need the right people, talented/knowledgeable people in there...who is going to work for what they pay?

Jackson was a gym teacher at a school I attended......
    Maybe he will only represent the jocks in erie county too......

Thread Information