Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clarence Garbage Service

Clarence Garbage Service

Does anyone know the advantage to having Clarence provide garbage collection rather than the private waste management companies? Clarence seems poised to do this and there's a meeting at the Town Hall this week on this.

Only if it saves money, that should be the main criteria. On the other hand, I'm distrustful of paying for it as a tax since we all know what happens when the gov't takes it over.

I'm with you there! Thanks.

I have questions re: where will Clarence dump our garbage? will new workers be hired or highway dept workers used? new trucks bought? will this be a whole new department with a supervisor, deputy supervisor. asst. deputy supervisor etc. etc. On the whole we're all screaming for smaller government. This is an expansion!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    How is yoru garbage being handled now? Plus if someone gives you the crap other towns are doing it this way doesn't mean it's the best way

I don't know what if any this would mean to you in this thread, but I did a search online and came up with this:

Notice of Public Hearing

WHEREAS, the Town Board of the Town of Clarence (herein called "Town Board" and "Town", respectively), in the County of Erie, New York pursuant to Article 12-A of the Town Law, has caused Joseph Latona, P.E., the Town Engineer of the Town, to prepare a map, plan and report for the proposed establishment of the Clarence Refuse and Garbage District in the Town (herein called "District"), said District only to provide refuse and garbage collection and disposal service to the entire area of the Town outside of villages, which map, plan and report have been duly filed in the office of the Town Clerk of the Town for public inspection; and

WHEREAS, the Town Board has given due consideration to the impact that the establishment of the District may have on the environment and, on the basis of such consideration, the Town Board has found that no substantial adverse environmental impact will be caused by the establishment of such District; and

WHEREAS, the Town Board and the Town have complied in every respect with all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations regarding environmental matters, including compliance with the New York State Environmental Quality Review Act, comprising Article 8 of the Environmental Conservation Law and, in connection therewith, a duly executed Short Environmental Assessment Form has been filed in the office of the Town Clerk; and

WHEREAS, the Town Board has determined to proceed with the establishment of the proposed District and the supply of such service; and

WHEREAS, the proposed District is bounded and described as follows:

ALL THAT TRACT OR PARCEL OF LAND, situate within the boundaries of the Town of Clarence, County of Erie and State of New York, the boundaries of the said Clarence Refuse and Garbage District being co-terminus with the boundaries of said Town of Clarence.

WHEREAS, the establishment of the proposed District will be of no cost to the Town since no improvements will be constructed or acquired, said District to be established only to provide refuse and garbage collection and disposal service through an award to the lowest responsible bidder and the expense of the establishment and the operation and maintenance of the District shall be paid by the assessment, levy and collection of special assessments upon the several lots and parcel of lands within the proposed District which the Town Board shall deem specially benefited by said service so much upon and from each as shall be in just proportion to the amount of benefit which said service confers upon the same, with the estimated annual cost of such service to a typical residential property estimated to be $150;

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT

ORDERED, that a public hearing of the Town Board of the Town be held at the Town Hall, One Town Place, Clarence, New York, on the 23rd day of March, 2005 at 7:30 o'clock P.M. (Prevailing Time), to consider the proposed establishment of the District and the supplying of such service as herein referred to, and to hear all persons interested in the subject thereof, concerning the same and for such other action on the part of the Town Board with relation thereto as may be required by law, and be it

FURTHER ORDERED, that the Town Clerk publish at least once in the Clarence Bee, designated by the Town as its official newspaper for this publication, and post on the sign board of the Town maintained pursuant to subdivision 6 of Section 30 of the Town Law, a copy of this Order, certified by the Town Clerk, the first publication and said posting to be not less than ten (10) nor more than (20) days before the day designated herein for said public hearing as aforesaid and file a certified copy of this Order with the Department of Audit and Control on or about the date of publication of this Order.

BY ORDER OF THE
    TOWN BOARD OF THE TOWN OF
    CLARENCE, NEW YORK

NANCY C. METZGER, TOWN CLERK

Dated February 23, 2005
    You might want to bookmark this site in your Favorites -
    http://clarence.ny.us/public_notices.asp

Be Careful What You Wish For

My empty can this morning ended up a full 20ft from the curb today. A full coating of snow on the ground showed that it laned there, and was not pushed or carried.

I guess the trash guys at Waste Management decided it would be funny to throw my can at my house.

I had a couple of heavy contractor bags in the mix, and I think they weren't happy about it.

Hope this link works......

I would also ask what they pick up and when. I have a friend in Clarence and I know that everything is picked up--it amazed me--piles of leaves, piles of brush and wood, etc.
    In the town of Tonawanda and Buffalo everything must be in containers or tied up in 6 foot bundles, and they won't pick up a can weighing over 60 lbs, I think. But they do trash pick up such as furniture and that kind of thing.
    I sure would ask.

I use CID and it's true that they pretty much pick up everything. I think I'm paying about $240 per year for garbage and since it's not a tax, it can't be deducted. Supposedly the town can have it done for approx $150 although a price is not firmed. I'm deeply suspicious though.

CID does a pretty good job.

I presently use BFI and have been satisfied. Clarence proposes a slightly cheaper rate for garbage pick-up. But I thank all of you for your in-put. Very helpful!

Hey Speaker, don't speak out of ignorance. In the town of tonawanda everything is picked up EVERY week. Also they like things in 6ft bundles but it depends on how it's laid out. Don't group me with Buffalo you ignorant idiot!!! I have lived here for 32 yrs and I know.

Don't group me with Buffalo you ignorant idiot!!!

That is not necessary, please be nice!

ksark--where did you come from. The pickup is great in tne Town. But it's greater in the part of Clarence that I know. Tn Tona does not pick up piles of leaves and brush left on the grass or curb. Tn Tona does not pick up anything unless tied--nothing. Everyone know that, appreciates that, and does it. No complaints.
    You just come from downtown or something?

Supposedly the town can have it done for approx $150 although a price is not firmed. I'm deeply suspicious though.
    Don't believe it.

If you want your garbagemen to make 50k a year, pay them a pension & benefits, and give them tenure for life through their municipal union, then it's a good idea to create a public-sector garbage service.

Remember, you can fire CID at any time. You won't be able to fire your town employee.

Don't do it.
    Data is not the plural of Anecdote.

Speaker. I don't come from the city and the town does pick up leaves on the curb. Don't spread false rumors.

Ksarkisian--the town comes around periodically and cleans up the leaves--not the brush. The service I'm talking about does a weekly pickup.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information