Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Da Vinci Code, Vatican Speaks

Da Vinci Code, Vatican Speaks

VATICAN CITY - The cardinal leading the Vatican’s charge against The Da Vinci Code urged Catholics on Wednesday to shun it like rotten food and branded the bestseller “a sack full of lies” insulting the Christian faith.

Rest of the story on MSNBC News....
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

stevenco

It's just a novel.

First convince me the traditional story is non-fictional before I can take some spun off variation seriously.

Re: It's just a novel.

Originally posted by stevenco
    First convince me the traditional story is non-fictional before I can take some spun off variation seriously.

I don't think I can, I think its hurting the vatican numbers that is why the vatican came out with this news statement/ story..go read it...I'm more into quantum physics...everything is by the numbers.
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

Faith vs. science. Apples and oranges. Dead end topic!

The book as fiction, however, was a real page turner with fast paged action with page and a half chapters. It read like an old time movie serial.

I doubt it's "numbers" so much as it is the Vatican's obsession with trying to force Catholics into returning to blind obedience to whatever the Vatican says. That's been the hallmark of the John Paul II papacy, and this cardinal is one of the enforcers of the "party line" upon the clergy.

I was born and raised a Catholic, and I haven't found a religion that I like better. I just have trouble with the Church. I'm not going to get into a litany of what's wrong with the Catholic Church, but maybe the Cardinal ought to worry less about people reading The DaVinci Code and more about the world-wide shortage of priests!

Angry

I haven't read it yet, but I ordered it and as soon as it gets here, I will. I don't like the idea of a church telling me what I can read, and or believe, so I'll make up my own mind.

stevenco
    It sure isn't anything to get angry over. Of course, What is?

I saw a story on this on ABC News a couple nights ago... pretty funny stuff. Book banning is always a good thing to do; is there a better way to get people to read something than to ban it? The report said that there was an actual list of books that were banned that was lost in the 1960's, but that it included the works of Locke, Voltaire, and pretty much anyone whose ideas were borrowed for the Declaration of Independence. Isn't it interesting that if the founding fathers were good catholic boys instead of protestant, the country would've never gotten going?
    Remain calm!! But run for your lives if necessary!

moadib

Once again the Catholic Church gets an "F" on managing the faithfull

Once again the Catholic Church gets an "F" on managing the faithfull

Instead of banning it in an autocratic way (which never works anyway)....it would have been better to have pointed out the factual falsities as well as the falsities as it relates to the faith.

There have been so many articles about the DaVinci Code, including ancillary history like the Templars, like the Morovingian Dynasty, etc.

Its all been speculation. Some believe it. Some think its just an elaborate conspiracy theory. Others think that Jesus marrying Mary Magdelene is just a feminist way to elevate women in the church...although I dont know how that could possibly elevate anyone higher than the Holy Mother.

Dont get me wrong. I love a latin mass, the gregorian chants, the incense, the beautiful churches create a spirituality that really brings one closer to god in an intimate relationship with their faith.

Our faith may not have changed but our blind obedience to religion certainly has changed.

There may not be room for a dialogue on abortion but there certainly should be a dialogue on birth control

There should be respect for the church but there should be a dialogue about the shortage of priests and pedophilic priests

There should be room for dialogue on gay marriage or blessings of gay relationships or civil unions

I personally think that there should be a dialogue about priests marrying like allowing a priest to re-evaluate their vow of celibacy every 5 or 10 years....because I think that devoting a period of your life to christ is beautiful.

I personally dont like feminist propaganda about women being priests. I dont want womens roles politicized. However, I do support nuns participating in mass and I support nuns being elevated into the college of cardinals that elects the pope and sets church doctrine. I do think that womens roles should be elevated in the church but not out of feminist gender equality propaganda. The church is not about gender equality but of the view that the sexes are different and contribute in different ways...thus I support elevating women in the church just not in the feminist perspective.

THE CATHOLIC CHURCH IS STRUGGLING WITH PROGRESSIVES IN THE DEVELOPED WORLD AND FUNDAMENTALISTS IN DEVELOPING COUNTRIES. PROGRESSIVES WANT DIALOGUE WHILE FUNDAMENTALISTS DONT WHICH MIGHT LEAD TO AN EVENTIAL SPLIT. OF COURSE THAT WOULDNT BE THE FIRST TIME. THE CHURCH FIRST WAS SPLIT BY EMPEROR JUSTINIAN & CONSTANTINE BETWEEN THE ROMAN CHURCH AND THE BYZANTINE CHURCH IN CONSTANTINOPLE (ISTANBUL TURKEY) THEN LATER INTO THE PROTESTANT DENOMINATIONS.

TO SUMMARIZE: IF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH SAYS THAT THE DAVINCI CODE IS FICTION THEN IT SHOULD STATE THE FICTION AND INVITE PEOPLE TO LEARN THE TRUTH. JUST SAYING ITS FICTION OR BANNING IT MAY WORK IN THE DEVELOPING WORLD BUT IT WONT WORK IN THE DEVELOPED WORLD WHERE WE QUESTION EVERYTHING.

left

Originally posted by Linda_D
    I doubt it's "numbers" so much as it is the Vatican's obsession with trying to force Catholics into returning to blind obedience to whatever the Vatican says. That's been the hallmark of the John Paul II papacy, and this cardinal is one of the enforcers of the "party line" upon the clergy.

I was born and raised a Catholic, and I haven't found a religion that I like better. I just have trouble with the Church. I'm not going to get into a litany of what's wrong with the Catholic Church, but maybe the Cardinal ought to worry less about people reading The DaVinci Code and more about the world-wide shortage of priests!
    I agree. I left the church for personal reasons some 37 years ago after finding out a little history about the vatican. Did you know the first pope owned vast amounts of land and was more a political figuar then a religon one. I think the Vatican doesn't want people to hear the truths about the catholic religion.
    Riven37
    _________

Anyone who takes the name "Innocent" probably isn't.
    Remain calm!! But run for your lives if necessary!

I think Christ knew there'd be some trouble when He left, since one of the men He personally chose didn't turn out so well!

I think you always have to remember Free Will. If we didn't have it, our creator would just be our puppet master. But we do have it to a great degree and we can be saints or sadists. We includes everyone, even the popes. And it's all written in the history books about what some of these Vicars of Christ did.....murder, incest, fornication etc. etc. It's never been hidden. In fact, there's another interesting work of fiction that many believe is not fiction...POPE JOAN. Way, way back we had a female pope, so it says.

yep

Originally posted by ccube
    I think Christ knew there'd be some trouble when He left, since one of the men He personally chose didn't turn out so well!

I think you always have to remember Free Will. If we didn't have it, our creator would just be our puppet master. But we do have it to a great degree and we can be saints or sadists. We includes everyone, even the popes. And it's all written in the history books about what some of these Vicars of Christ did.....murder, incest, fornication etc. etc. It's never been hidden. In fact, there's another interesting work of fiction that many believe is not fiction...POPE JOAN. Way, way back we had a female pope, so it says.

The pope your are refering to was a female dressed as a male because she could not become pope any other way...what a religion no wonder I left it 37 years ago.....
    Riven37
    _________

stevenco

Smile Big Pic

This thread is just doomed to continually repeat itself. I mean really, even our math and science is man made.

Re: Big Pic

Originally posted by stevenco
    This thread is just doomed to continually repeat itself. I mean really, even our math and science is man made.

Last night on PBS there was a new show on jesus called to jesus to christ...do you happen to watch it, if not, pick up the DVD on it at PBS shop...It really was all new information...

They ( Experts) have unlocked new ways of thinking about what happen back then. Did you know now today, the experts don't think Jesus was carpenter but a man with a higher cast life. Interesting huh ? Its this new information that drives religion toward one driection to another driection.
    Riven37
    _________

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information