Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Few homes for hens in Amherst

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Few homes for hens in Amherst

Few homes for hens in Amherst

Two suburban residents want to raise chickens on their properties. But they're livestock, not pets, the town says, and they're not allowed.

Updated: March 15, 2012, 7:35 AM
    Karen Marks' backyard doesn't look that different than her neighbors' in Eggertsville. There's a detached garage, a modest patio and a play set for her two young sons.

At first glance, it's easy to miss the 9-by-12-foot chicken wire enclosure that six white-feathered hens call home. Scrappy, Dinosaur, Apple, Scooby, Red Beak and Feathery have lived here at this Capen Boulevard address in Amherst since they were day-old chicks.

They officially turned 1 year old this week. But unless the laws change, they won't be marking their second birthdays at this address.

Someone called in an anonymous complaint to the Town of Amherst, and a code enforcement officer informed Marks last month that the residential zone she lives in does not permit the housing of livestock.

"We broke a rule we didn't know existed," Marks said.
    Read the full story in the Buffalo News

I'd say they keep the chickens. If they cause harm to other people's property they are responsible. If they have kids owning animals teaches them responsibility if they care for them.

So you have no respect for the laws adopted by the community?

They can petition for a change in the law. In the meantime they should either obey it or move.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    So you have no respect for the laws adopted by the community?

They can petition for a change in the law. In the meantime they should either obey it or move.
    They are pets... Right? If they have names I would say they are pets. What do you have against chickens?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    I'd say they keep the chickens. If they cause harm to other people's property they are responsible. If they have kids owning animals teaches them responsibility if they care for them.
    Teach responsibility - wow what a noble idea. I agree with Res!
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Nogods, I am not saying to break the law. I'm just saying they are pets

Nogods, I am not saying to break the law. I'm just saying they are pets
    Under Amherst law all poultry is defined as livestock regardless of the reason for which one keeps them. Calling them "pets" doesn't change their status.

The good people of Amherst don't want poultry in their residential neighborhoods. If she can't follow a simple law and be a responsible citizen then she should be arrested, fined, and driven out of the community.

And it looks like eliminating eggs from her diet might improve her life.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Under Amherst law all poultry is defined as livestock regardless of the reason for which one keeps them. Calling them "pets" doesn't change their status.

The good people of Amherst don't want poultry in their residential neighborhoods. If she can't follow a simple law and be a responsible citizen then she should be arrested, fined, and driven out of the community.

And it looks like eliminating eggs from her diet might improve her life.
    So if you are pro-poultry your a bad person? and anti-poultry is a good person? That makes no sense.

So why would eliminating eggs improve her life?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I think if they want to raise chickens at there home they should move and Live on farm land. Who would want to live next to someone with those smelly disease infested chickens
    They carry semolina, as well that they are very loud animals. Laws and zoning are put in for a reason. So have some respect for your neighbors and drop this silly publicity stunt for attention.

MATTHEW FELTON, HAMBURG, NY on Thu Mar 15, 2012 at 12:18 PM
    This comment should be said to all the people that move to where the farmland used to be that complain about deer, possums, chucks etc,,,,

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    This is gonna be a fun one

While the idea of raising chickens in your backyard may be a romantic one, the idea if fraught with many problems.

Laws are passed for the common good, not one or two people. And, while this particular individual is doing the right thing and keeping their chickens properly cleaned and tended to, we all know that this is not the case for everyone.

So, if one family raises chickens that's one issue. But imagine if every person on the street had chickens and a handful of people started to neglect them. Animal manure can be very smelly and definintely harbors all kinds of germs and bacteria.

The best thing to do is to raise chickens where the properties are zoned agricultural.
    And, again, the laws are passed for the common good, not just one individual.

It's like in Nevada where there was no speed limit on their super highways. Well, some people drove as fast as they wanted to, even though their cars were not safe to go 100 miles an hour.

Raising chickens by one family who knows what they are doing and are very clean about it, more than likely doesn't pose a hazard, but if several people raised chickens and even one or two individuals were sloppy with the manure, it would be disasterous. LOUIS CIOLA, SNYDER, NY on Thu Mar 15, 2012 at 10:37 AM

While the idea of raising a cat in your backyard may be a romantic one, the idea is fraught with many problems.

Laws are passed for the common good, not one or two people. And, while a particular individual is doing the right thing and keeping their cat properly cleaned and tended to, we all know this is not the case for everyone.

So, if one family raises a cat that's one issue. But imagine if every person on the street had a cat and a handful of people started to neglect them. Cat poop can be very smelly and definitely harbors all kinds of germs and bacteria.

The best thing to do is to raise a cat where the properties are zoned agricultural.

It's like in Nevada where there was no speed limit on their super highways. Well, some people drove as fast as they wanted to, even though their cars were not safe to go 100 miles an hour.

Raising a cat by one family who knows what they are doing and are very clean about it, more than likely doesn't pose a hazard, but if several people raised cats and even one or two individuals were sloppy with the poop, it would be disastrous.

So how do we start a law that bans cats? A pet cat is just as special to a person as a pet chicken is.

Now why did I mention cats? Because we read regularly about people hoarding cats in erie county. Some stories we have read about are little cat-tastrofies. So will the people who are going to enforce anti-chicken legislation put on the books anti-cat legislation?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I'd like to add my support to Karen for keeping her chickens. They can't be any more of a nuisance than that of a constantly barking/yapping dog like I have next door-if the Town wants to regulate something, how about that!
    I live in Snyder and on my survey plot plan I got with my house when I bought it 25 years ago is a notation of a chicken coop behind my garage, so they used to be allowed in this densely populated part of the town.
    Karen, I looked for your Facebook page to add my support but couldn't find it.
    Good luck,
    Kathy KATHY BOOKMILLER, AMHERST, NY on Thu Mar 15, 2012 at 10:28
    While the idea of raising a dog in your backyard may be a romantic one, the idea is fraught with many problems.

Laws are passed for the common good, not one or two people. And, while a particular individual is doing the right thing and keeping their dog properly cleaned and tended to, we all know this is not the case for everyone.

So, if one family raises a dog that's one issue. But imagine if every person on the street had a dog and a handful of people started to neglect them. Dog poop can be very smelly and definitely harbors all kinds of germs and bacteria.

The best thing to do is to raise a dog where the properties are zoned agricultural.

Raising a dog by one family who knows what they are doing and are very clean about it, more than likely doesn't pose a hazard, but if several people raised dogs and even one or two individuals were sloppy with the poop, it would be disastrous.

So how do we start a law that bans dogs? A pet dog is just as special to a person as a pet chicken is.

Now why did I mention dogs? To make a valid point.

They are pets... Right? If they have names I would say they are pets. What do you have against chickens?
    Did a little reading on this topic.

While 'backyard chickens' are becoming more common, they do pose some risk. Mainly, these small farmers do not have the tools to detect Salmonella like larger farms do.

According to the CDC, here are a couple of tip to reduce their risks while raising backyard chickens:
    -Do not let children younger than 5 years of age handle or touch chicks, ducklings, or other live poultry without supervision.
    -Avoid touching your mouth before washing your hands. Use hand sanitizer if soap and water are not readily available.

They also note, Infants, elderly persons, and those with weakened immune systems are more likely than others to develop severe illness. So while these folks in Amherst are OK with the risks and consider them pets, they are potentially putting neighbors at risk.

Lastly, in the post on the news, the woman said "Our 4-year-old wants to get a light saber to fight off the bad guys who want our chickens,". Last time I checked 4 is less than 5 and we all know that kids under the age of 7 will put pretty much anything in their mouth.

So if you are pro-poultry your a bad person? and anti-poultry is a good person? That makes no sense.

So why would eliminating eggs improve her life?
    The good people of Amherst decided long ago they didn't want poultry in their residential neighborhoods. why is that so difficult for you to understand. Is it too complex?

The good people of Amherst have also decided that any premise with four or more dogs more than four months old will be deemed a kennel.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Did a little reading on this topic.

While backyard cats are common, they do pose some risk. Mainly, these cat owners do not have the tools to detect rabies like veterinarians do.

According to experts, here are a couple of tips to reduce their risks while raising cats:

-Do not let children younger than 5 years of age handle or touch outdoor kittens, cats, or other live felines without supervision.
    -Avoid touching your mouth before washing your hands. Use hand sanitizer if soap and water are not readily available.

They also note, Infants, elderly persons, and those with weakened immune systems are more likely than others to develop severe illness. So while these folks in Amherst are OK with the risks and consider cats pets, they are potentially putting neighbors at risk.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    The good people of Amherst decided long ago they didn't want poultry in their residential neighborhoods. why is that so difficult for you to understand. Is it too complex?

The good people of Amherst have also decided that any premise with four or more dogs more than four months old will be deemed a kennel.
    Get with the PROGRAM. The CHICKEN HAS A NAME. At least I think it does. It is now a pet. We will go the technical route and interpret the "law" in our favor. If the "government class" can technically interpret laws into their favor the "non-government class" can do the same. We are all equal are we not?

Chicken owner wins appeal to keep family pets

By David Ramsay
    news@seacoastonline.com
    February 17, 2012 2:00 AM

ELIOT, Maine — After a standing-room-only 3½-hour hearing, the Eliot Board of Appeals voted 3-1 (with one abstention) to side with resident Brian McClellan, who maintained that the town's code enforcement officer erred in his interpretation of the ordinance regarding chickens.

At issue was whether McClellan is allowed to keep his four pet chickens on his property. In testimony, McClellan told the board that Code Enforcement Officer James Marchese erred when he reversed his decision that Marchese would be allowed to keep the chickens, provided that the coop was at least 10 feet from the property line.

Marchese said he was not opposed to the keeping of the chickens until a neighbor complained that the coop was located within 27 feet of the neighbor's house and that the proximity was bothersome.

Marchese then told McClellan that he was in violation of the part of the municipal code concerning animals bred for sale, which requires a 100-foot setback from the property line.

Expressing strong feelings and clearly divided about the issues, board members narrowly voted in favor of the motion by board member Bill Hamilton. Chairman Ed Cieleszko voted against the motion and board member Ellen Lemire abstained.

The motion stated that the code enforcement officer acted in an inconsistent, contradictory manner in his decisions, thereby acting contrary to the town ordinances. The motion also moved that the applicant, the CEO and the abutters get together and resolve the issue of locating the chicken coop and fencing.

Kensington couple wins chicken fight

A court victory for one Kensington family could signify a bigger win for suburban chicken owners in Montgomery County who have been contending with a local law that prevents chicken coops in most backyards.

"A lot of pet chicken owners are going to breathe a sigh of relief," said Margy Stancill, a Dupont Avenue resident and the owner of 10 hens.

Montgomery County law requires any accessory structure, such as a shed, used for housing animals or fowl in a residential area to be 100 feet from the nearest residence unless it is for a household pet. Violators are subject to a $500 fine.

I'll pull some BS like you did...

What if a chickens right group decides to sue the town of Amherst? Do you want to be responsible for that?

Pardon my lack of knowing such things - but do chickens make any noise? How about odor? Germs?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information