Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Few homes for hens in Amherst

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    You make good arguments for changing the law.

But until it is changed the self-centered me-me's should obey the law.

and she should lay off the eggs anyway.
    My self-centered (I say that seriously) response is: Yeah, you're probably right. And laying off the eggs is pretty clever!

Quote Originally Posted by gshowell View Post
    As an animal lover, who has adopted three rescue dogs and used his own resources to save a young pit bull that was used as a bait dog, was terribly injured, and left to die, I find you comments so off the mark that I busted a gut laughing. We're not talking about breeding and raising pit bulls or roosters for **** fights. We're talking about raising chickens for food. This blog has nothing to do with sewers, the commercial slip, pit bulls, failing schools, inept government, etc. It's incredibly amusing to me that you can take such diverse issues and connect them to raising chickens.

At a time when food prices are beyond the reach of some folks, (Okay, I'm a hypocrite, no matter what the cost, food prices have always been beyond the means of some people.) what is the problem with people trying to reduce the impact of food costs?

Should there be limits on the number of chickens a person can have, dependent on lot size? Yes. Should there be controls on handling waste and odors? Yes! I'm not talking about a free-for-all, do whatever you want solution. But, to me, saying no to chickens, rabbits, and other small food animals doesn't make sense. (Yes, I've eaten rabbits, including rabbits we raised as kids. And, yes, I'm a member of PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals. And, as I said before, I'm a hypocrite. I love animals and I eat animals. Go figure.)

Do I know how many people will buy chickens? No I don't. My opinion is, most people won't.

I can't say ****-fights?
    Are you suggesting that the variance should be granted in the Capen Blvd matter because chicken product is being used for food? If so, then I speculate that you believe that is a compelling reason to grant the variance(?). To me, that is nowhere near a compelling argment in favor of granting the variance. An exception might be if there were claimed a substantial and documented medical/dietary need... which - so far - hasn't been presented.

I'd be willing to bet that he core background is that the petitioner has 'gotten used' to having the animals. Again, far afield of a compelling argument for granting the variance.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Member 2358 View Post
    Are you suggesting that the variance should be granted in the Capen Blvd matter because chicken product is being used for food? If so, then I speculate that you believe that is a compelling reason to grant the variance(?). To me, that is nowhere near a compelling argment in favor of granting the variance. An exception might be if there were claimed a substantial and documented medical/dietary need... which - so far - hasn't been presented.

I'd be willing to bet that he core background is that the petitioner has 'gotten used' to having the animals. Again, far afield of a compelling argument for granting the variance.
    What medical/dietary needs do cats and dogs fill?

Thinking about, didn't a gentlemen get into trouble for having a cat in a pot ready for stew a year back?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    What medical/dietary needs do cats and dogs fill?

Thinking about, didn't a gentlemen get into trouble for having a cat in a pot ready for stew a year back?
    I guess - generally - they don't fill and medical/dietary need. But having a dog and/or cat isn't illegal.

If you are attempting to say that in this discussion chickens are essentially the same as dogs or cats, you are wrong.

Dog/cat = legal.
    Chicken = illegal.

There should be a compelling argument made for granting a variance. To my way of thinkng, there has not yet been such an argument. Has there?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Dog/cat = legal.
    Chicken = illegal.
    You haven't said why though. Ever notice how the "political social clubs" work around here? A small vocal group of people try to impose what they feel is good for the community. Some is justified but some items are not.

Why do you care if someone had 4 chickens in their yard? I say 4 because I figure that would be a reasonable amount unless it was like so many chicken per yard size... You just can't have just one. Birds are social creatures for the most part.

How does it effect your life? You'll be disturbed by the noise? I can easily point out at least 4 homes on my road that have dogs far louder than any chicken I ever met. They bark from the time the owners put them out until they go in.

I don't want to hear "they spread disease"... So can cats and dogs. Perhaps we should outlaw cats and dogs... wouldn't you agree?

Personally I don't care if people have cats or dogs or chickens.

I was actually thinking how many Lamas I can put in my yard. I'll just tell my neighbors they are funny looking dogs

http://www.shagbarkridge.com/about.html

Because we don't like chickens.

And we can discriminate against chickens because chickens, like whales, don't have rights under the constitution.

Judge Dismisses PETA's Argument in Defense of Whales' Constitutional Rights

And how would your chickens feel if they had to smell roasting chickens on your neighbor's barbecue?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    You haven't said why though. Ever notice how the "political social clubs" work around here? A small vocal group of people try to impose what they feel is good for the community. Some is justified but some items are not.

Why do you care if someone had 4 chickens in their yard? I say 4 because I figure that would be a reasonable amount unless it was like so many chicken per yard size... You just can't have just one. Birds are social creatures for the most part.

How does it effect your life? You'll be disturbed by the noise? I can easily point out at least 4 homes on my road that have dogs far louder than any chicken I ever met. They bark from the time the owners put them out until they go in.

I don't want to hear "they spread disease"... So can cats and dogs. Perhaps we should outlaw cats and dogs... wouldn't you agree?

Personally I don't care if people have cats or dogs or chickens.

I was actually thinking how many Lamas I can put in my yard. I'll just tell my neighbors they are funny looking dogs

http://www.shagbarkridge.com/about.html
    You can interrogate me all you want. However, the fact is chickens in this matter are in violation of the law. I belive that to erode the law there should be a compelling reason. Apparenty, you cannot rovide a compelling reason. Frankly, if I take your comments above, lotsa stuff would be okie dokie. Llamas among them, I suppose. Alligators? Bees? But that's not really the point. Hey, can I get a variance to remove all the glazing from my windows and just have holes? No doors? No furnace? If I understand correctly, by your reasoning(?), that should be fine-n-dandy.

Why do we hae any laws about any of this stuff? Anybody care to answer that?

My black angus bull is named Fred. we concider the 1800 lbs ball of joy a pet can I keep him in Amherst too
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    You can interrogate me all you want. However, the fact is chickens in this matter are in violation of the law. I belive that to erode the law there should be a compelling reason. Apparenty, you cannot rovide a compelling reason. Frankly, if I take your comments above, lotsa stuff would be okie dokie. Llamas among them, I suppose. Alligators? Bees? But that's not really the point. Hey, can I get a variance to remove all the glazing from my windows and just have holes? No doors? No furnace? If I understand correctly, by your reasoning(?), that should be fine-n-dandy.

Why do we hae any laws about any of this stuff? Anybody care to answer that?

I'm not interrogating you. You popped in about post #29....

You can't give a compelling reason why they are illegal. That is reason enough right there.

I could see if someone wanted to have dozens of chickens in a small yard where that could become an issue. If not cared for properly a dozen cats or dogs would create a mess in a small yard.

And yes a lot of stuff would be ok based on my comments as long as you use common sense. But you have to be responsible for your actions because of property rights. We pay taxes to have courts for property right issues. If your herd of chickens escapes and devastates someone's flower bed you can be held liable.

Why would I or anyone have an issue about someone keeping a few chickens? As Gary said there should be clause on how many chickens per lot size.

You can not use "just because" as a reason to make something illegal... You can't give a compelling reason why they are illegal. So far every reason that was stated applies to any other creatures people have as pets.

Now lets apply some common sense.

I would completely agree that there are compelling reasons not to allow people to keep gorillas.

Take this example close to home..

Gorilla gets loose at zoo; contained within facility

Updated: March 19, 2012, 4:16 PM

A gorilla got loose at the Buffalo Zoo late this morning, but zoo officials working with the police managed to contain it inside the facility and tranquilize it, authorities said.

Zoo officials, working with police, managed to tranquilize Koga, a 24-year-old male silverback gorilla.

One of the zookeepers, though, suffered what the zoo described as superficial bite wounds on her right hand and left calf. For safety, the keeper locked herself in one of the holding cages with Sidney, a 14-year-old gorilla, and her 1 1/2-year-old baby, Amari, who both know the keeper well.

What is wrong with Llamas if you have enough space where the Llama would be happy and properly cared for?

I bet you didn't know this:

Llamas As Guard Animals

Bees are cool. Way smaller than chickens. Bees are good for our environment. But that's not really the point.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by granpabob View Post
    My black angus bull is named Fred. we concider the 1800 lbs ball of joy a pet can I keep him in Amherst too
    There are horses just around the corner from me on near Borden and Broadway. I don't see anything wrong with it.. I think a angus bull would be in the same league as a silver back gorilla.

My compelling reason to not grant the variance that is involved here =

Karen Marks violated the law for quite some time. When she got caught her reaction was " I want the law to not apply to me. That tells me a lot about her character... that is to say, she is unreliable. She gre up in a suburban (non chicken) environment. Her husband is rooted in a suburban (non chicken) environment. Her good friend and supportive neigbor is deeply entrenched in the residential real estate business in this area. I highly doubt that Ms Marks was unaware that she should not be keepin' chickens.

Further, was there a building permit for the chicken coop? What about the electrical service to the coop... within code? I bet no and no. Again, violating the law.

By the way, dog have to have licenses in Amherst. What is the license structure for chickens. After all, if they are just like dogs, that should be assumed, no?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Common sense.

This chickens would be louder than the turkeys or song birds or the blaring siren in the back ground?

Look how puffy he is about 47 seconds in

Isn't a turkey poultry?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    My compelling reason to not grant the variance that is involved here =

Karen Marks violated the law for quite some time. When she got caught her reaction was " I want the law to not apply to me. That tells me a lot about her character... that is to say, she is unreliable. She gre up in a suburban (non chicken) environment. Her husband is rooted in a suburban (non chicken) environment. Her good friend and supportive neigbor is deeply entrenched in the residential real estate business in this area. I highly doubt that Ms Marks was unaware that she should not be keepin' chickens.

Further, was there a building permit for the chicken coop? What about the electrical service to the coop... within code? I bet no and no. Again, violating the law.

By the way, dog have to have licenses in Amherst. What is the license structure for chickens. After all, if they are just like dogs, that should be assumed, no?
    I'm talking about chickens in general.

When she got caught my reaction was "What a stupid law" when I read about it. It's not like she is trying to raise 30 chickens on a 20 X 20 yard. Are the chickens happy? Are her neighbors a couple houses over either way happy? If so that tells me a lot about her character. That is to say she's responsible with what she is doing. What difference does it make where either grew up? And what difference does it make if her supportive neighbor owns a real estate business? Two responsible people. Why would anyone assume you can't keep 3 chickens in your yard if you care for them properly. My grandfather on south ogden street had pigeons and coop.

Is the coop a large shed or a coup big enough for 3 or so chickens? Do you need a permit to make your dog a dog house?

By the way, dog have to have licenses in Amherst. What is the license structure for chickens.
    That comment alone tells me we have far too much useless government..........it's not all useless... just various sections

Change the law.

No variance.

[By the way, the significance of the petitioner's and nieghbor/freind's background is in the liklihood that not all of them could be so ignirant of rules/regulation to have never considered that chickens were against the law in this context.]

[By the way, what difference does it make what sequential numerical position my first post on this suibject occured. pffffft. Childish.]

Originally posted by Member 2358:
    At least, the chickens are penned up, unlike cats. I never understood why they have regulations for dogs and not for cats.

Georgia L Schlager

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information