Thread: I haven't turned my back on community

Unregistered

I haven't turned my back on community

I have been criticized by Erie County Democratic Chairman Len Lenihan and other disgruntled politicians, and accused of "turning my back on my community." Let's look at some facts.
    For the past four years, I have served as mayor and as chief engineer, at no extra salary, saving taxpayers $50,000. I have eliminated or chose not to fund 16 full-time jobs, with no layoffs or loss of essential services, saving taxpayers about $660,000 in salaries, and more than $750,000 if you include benefits. My administration is responsible for the resurfacing of 42 streets in all four wards, including the entire length of South Park Avenue, which was designated as the "worst street in Erie County" by a Buffalo News survey in 1999. Twelve more will be completed this year. We have received millions in county, state and federal grants for road work, playgrounds and other economic development projects. It was the result of my ability and willingness to work with all officials, regardless of political affiliation, and the professionalism of my administration.

As mayor, I am not required to attend council meetings, but I have attended more of them than all other mayors for the past 40 years, combined.

When Lackawanna was buried under 7 feet of snow in 2001, I personally coordinated the efforts to bring the equipment to our city to dig out, and in days we were able to move. The Giambra administration, surrounding towns and villages and private contractors made equipment and manpower available, pitching in to help our city.

When the "Lackawanna Six" was a national news story, Gov. George Pataki came here and met with Muslim leaders and community leaders. Our city remained calm, without any acts of civil disobedience. I think my leadership was a contributing factor.

Does this sound like someone who turned his back on his community? My only sin, in the eyes of political bosses, is that my first loyalty is to the homeowners and taxpayers of Lackawanna, and not to any political boss, from any political party.

JOHN J. KURYAK
    Mayor of Lackawanna

www.buffalo.com

Unregistered
    They why did you accept a PATRONAGE job at the ERIE COUNTY WATER AUTHORITY?

His little paragraph could of sounded great minus that patronage thing.

I don't much about Kuryak, but Len Lenihan looks like he took a lot of beatings on the way to and back from school.

Thread Information