Thread: Why can't Lancaster use existing facilities?

Why can't Lancaster use existing facilities?

There's an article in the news by the equitable Irene Liguori, that unintentionally raises the question: Why can't Lancaster use existing facilities?

Lancaster Police given use of firing range for qualification http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregio...ry/476459.html

When the subject of a new police headquarters was raised, it was mentioned that the police need a shooting range. They do. I, for one, feel better knowing the police are familiar with their weapons and are skilled in using them.

I'm sure it wasn't the intention of the article to point out that a firing range exists in Lancaster, but it did. It's a firing range that belongs to the taxpayers. So, why isn't the idea of allowing the Lancaster police to use an existing range being explored further?

The article says the range will be used "for firearms qualifications." What range were the police using before this? Were the individual police officers paying to qualify at a private range? Were taxpayer dollars being used to qualify officers at a private range?

The article doesn't say anything about using the range for regular shooting practice. Is anyone considering this?

You can't tell me the range is insufficient in some way. If it is, how can it be used to qualify officers for firearms proficiency?

We hear this all the time, Lancaster needs this, Lancaster needs that. But no one looks at using what we already have to satisfy the needs. We're being told we need new soccer fields and the town is thinking about spending money to get them. Why can't the town come to an arrangement with the county to use some of the vacant fields in Como Park. Why do we need to buy new land when we can use land the public already owns?

The town keeps telling us they need more office space. What about using the vacant Depew Library? The town owns it. Why are they renting space for the building department when they can use the library to house them and other departments?

I could go on and on. The point is, why does the town continue to tell taxpayers they need to buy new when there are empty, existing facilities at hand?
    The town board creates the problems and when the residents complain, the town board tells them it's the resident's fault.

Truth be told Wag, when the merging of the Town and Village police forces took place, the agreement was acrimonious at best between the elected officials. Animosities must have cooled to the point where the Village is now allowing use of the Municipal building to the Town and is paying the amount of sales tax agreed upon.

As to the construction of the soccer fields, don't forget about the lacrosse fields now being discussed. Remember, it's for the kids. Better them than some low income family have to give up food or medications to pay taxes to provide them necessities at this time.

And, go easy on the use of the vacant Depew library. Giza is starting to really get pissed and is threatening to put the dog control department there. Remember, it's the Village's fault for putting those zoning restrictions on that property - at least that's what Abraham said in the Buffalo News the other day.

Pudge, I heard about moving the dog kennel to the library. I think that reinforces my point.

The town already has a shelter. If it needs improvement, improve it. Why does the town need to move it to a new facility. It seems that no matter what is taken from the taxpayers wallets, it's never good enough for Giza. He wanted a new police/courts facility, so he bought the Colecraft building. Now that's not good enough. Lancaster's got a nice senior center, but it's not made out of brick, so it's not good enough for Giza. He wants to add on to the town hall, but even that doesn't seem like a big enough expansion for Giza. The town has an abundance of unused space, but Giza's always looking for more.

The taxpayers can't afford necessary home improvements or expansions and Giza wants a new band shell. Taxpayers cringe when they have to put gas in their lawnmowers and Giza wants more park space. Taxpayers incomes are shrinking and he wants to give himself, town board members, and town employees a 3% raise. Some taxpayers are losing their health insurance while others are paying more for less. Giza wants to give town employees top-of-the-line health coverage. Taxpayers personal wealth is shrinking and Giza wants to raise taxes.

The taxpayers are squeezing extra life out of their cars, making the best use out of what they have, and cutting back every way they can. Giza goes out and buys an overpriced (and he did overpay for it) gas-guzzler.

I just seems that whatever Giza gets, it isn't good enough. He's squeezing us dry and it's still not good enough.
    The town board creates the problems and when the residents complain, the town board tells them it's the resident's fault.

Thread Information