Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Town of West Seneca, get ready for a new ice rink

Town of West Seneca, get ready for a new ice rink

Tonight, West Seneca Youth Hockey association is having their monthly board meeting. The association board and the town supervisor have met and the details will be discussed involving new ice rink for the town of west seneca. The details of ice rink are yet to be determined but I'm almost positive the tax payers' wallets will be involved with this issue.

New community center is also being planned for the Seneca Mall Site. "discussed WS Community Center at Seneca Mall site"

"Briefing of initial meeting with the Town Supervisor – plans for new rink"

Are you ready to foot the bill for a new ice rink and community center?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I htink it's really sad when a group will compete with businesses in the area that provide that service. Ice Time.

Great news. I can't wait for the new ice rink. I hear it's going to be a 5 pad rink with the ability to add 3 more. It will be staffed by 18 fulltime town employees and 6 part timers.

Quote Originally Posted by FisherRd View Post
    Great news. I can't wait for the new ice rink. I hear it's going to be a 5 pad rink with the ability to add 3 more. It will be staffed by 18 fulltime town employees and 6 part timers.
    That sounds great. Eight pads should enable national events with ease. I am really glad we are going to get our downsized board so there will be no problem with this going through.
    The community center is a real plus. Perhaps I can do some pickup ping pong.

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
    That sounds great. Eight pads should enable national events with ease. I am really glad we are going to get our downsized board so there will be no problem with this going through.
    The community center is a real plus. Perhaps I can do some pickup ping pong.
    Just think, it could have been an even bigger project, but some jamoke blew through $3,000,000 worth of our tax dollars on some worthless guberment program.

Quote Originally Posted by FisherRd View Post
    Just think, it could have been an even bigger project, but some jamoke blew through $3,000,000 worth of our tax dollars on some worthless guberment program.
    Na, really eight should do just fine. Needn't get greedy.
    Hear tell that the referendum has been quashed. Perhaps this might impact on the eight pads, perhaps now only six. Maybe the community center will be downsized.

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
    Na, really eight should do just fine. Needn't get greedy.
    Hear tell that the referendum has been quashed. Perhaps this might impact on the eight pads, perhaps now only six. Maybe the community center will be downsized.
    I hope they don't downsize anything, Uncle Wally told us (my brothers and I) that we were all getting the hook up over there.

The town and the West Seneca Youth Hockey have been meeting.

Apparently, there has been Four proposals out to bid (according to the meeting minutes)

o Refurbish existing rink
    o Refurbish existing rink plus added rink
    o New 2 rink complex at same site
    o New 2 rink complex at another location

People are losing jobs, money is tighter than ever, and our country is in financial crisis but guess who will be footing the bill - The West Seneca Tax Payers

Anyone else upset that we will be footing the bill considering the state of our country! Less kids will be playing hockey, not to mention that the Town of Hamburg is already adding 2nd pad, can we WNY even support another pad.

I thought Government spending was the way out of the state we're in? Barack says so...

[QUOTE=wnyfuture;399798]Tonight, West Seneca Youth Hockey association is having their monthly board meeting. The association board and the town supervisor have met and the details will be discussed involving new ice rink for the town of west seneca. The details of ice rink are yet to be determined but I'm almost positive the tax payers' wallets will be involved with this issue.

New community center is also being planned for the Seneca Mall Site. "discussed WS Community Center at Seneca Mall site"

"Briefing of initial meeting with the Town Supervisor – plans for new rink"

Are you ready to foot the bill for a new ice rink and community center?[/QU

What is in the plans for a Community center?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    What is wrong with the old community center? And actually how many people use it?

Will the burden of cost be voted on by the people who live in WS for the ice rink?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    What is wrong with the old community center? And actually how many people use it?

Will the burden of cost be voted on by the people who live in WS for the ice rink?
    There's nothing wrong with the current community center, in my own opinion. I believe they are including the community center along with two new pads of ice so not just hockey families are for the ice rink/community center project.

I don't know if the burden of cost will be voted on by the people of WS. I would hope so and I would think so. The problem with West Seneca Wings/WSYHA is that the a lot of non-residents are involved in the group and encouraging a new rink. I have a problem with that. Not to mention, the Town of Hamburg is building a 2nd rink.

If we held a vote in the Nov during the elections for the proposal and the majority of WS residents voted for the ice rink, I wouldn't have a problem. We need to have this voted on.

Several "ideas" refurbish the current ice rink, add 2nd rink to current one, and build two new rinks. $$$$ very expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTENDFIRECO View Post
    What is in the plans for a Community center?
    You will have to ask WP for the information. I was going off the information on the WSYHA Board Minutes.

I understand the concern over spending tax money in the current economy. As well the non-resident kids and families who participate in West Seneca youth hockey and benefit from the use of a town operated rink. But to throw "Hamburg adding a 2nd pad" in the discussion isn't all that relevant. There has long been a demonstrated interest in youth hockey in WS. If I were a parent, would I prefer to have a WS hockey program and rink, or to drive to Hamburg for ice time? I played travel hockey as a kid; the drives to Wheatfield, Amherst, etc. were crappy. It always seemed so far. As adults, we're used to commuting and driving 20-30 mintues or more. Just a thought.

And if everyone is so concerned about how tight things are, what about all that extra driving and gas needed to get to Hamburg, etc.?

If you're anti-hockey, fine. The concerns over how taxpayer dollars are used is valid, given the economy. But an intelligent and reasonable discussion is the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by rwrusso View Post
    I understand the concern over spending tax money in the current economy. As well the non-resident kids and families who participate in West Seneca youth hockey and benefit from the use of a town operated rink. But to throw "Hamburg adding a 2nd pad" in the discussion isn't all that relevant. There has long been a demonstrated interest in youth hockey in WS. If I were a parent, would I prefer to have a WS hockey program and rink, or to drive to Hamburg for ice time? I played travel hockey as a kid; the drives to Wheatfield, Amherst, etc. were crappy. It always seemed so far. As adults, we're used to commuting and driving 20-30 mintues or more. Just a thought.

And if everyone is so concerned about how tight things are, what about all that extra driving and gas needed to get to Hamburg, etc.?

If you're anti-hockey, fine. The concerns over how taxpayer dollars are used is valid, given the economy. But an intelligent and reasonable discussion is the answer.
    Tell Lackawanna to build a rink! You are not even West Seneca resident. If the youth teams were filled with nearly 95-100% west seneca that would be something but the travel teams are filled with kids from lackawanna, orchard park, lancaster, buffalo, elma, etc displacing kids from West Seneca (including my kid one year). I've talked to my neighbors, they are against the adding of ice rink, you will see signs if the discussion ever gets serious. Hey, you can put "Yes to Ice Rink" on your lawn in Lackawanna.

Oh, Hamburg's booked ice at Leisure will become available to West Seneca Wings, the ice is not needed since Hamburg is adding 2nd pad. Let Leisure or Holiday add another pad of ice.

Lockport, Hamburg, and East Aurora either built a rink or will add a rink. The need for ice will not be there in declining population and in this economy. That will be the addition of 4-pads of ice within two years.

Your kid was cut. Now the bitterness makes sense.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information