Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Library

Unregistered

Thumbs up New Library

Make the new library already. The only thing new in these two libraries are the computers. I remember walking to both of these out dated book closets and not finding the material I needed for research. When I was in school the Dudley branch had only one computer. One. It was not on the internet. (Now the biggest research tool). I had to stay downtown and go to the county library. I hope that this new library comes for the sake of my children. I wish success upon kids and will make the time to get them to the resources theyrequire. If you are not able to get them there yourself,how about a grandparent, an aunt, or is your friends mother / father taking him / her ? I have lived in South Buffalo all my 28 years and have purchased a house there.
    I know that eventhing is within walking distance for most. It is safe enough to let children of reasonable age(7th or 8th graders)
    walk to the library. These libraries were outdated 10 years ago.Time to move on.

The Cazenovia and Dudley libraries have 23 computers combined, more than what is needed most of the time. We visit each library a few times a week and have never had to wait for computer time.

Will a new library have 24 or more computers? They are promising more computers. BTW - All new technology goes into all branches system wide. It makes no difference how old the building is. Caz was wired for all new technology not too long ago. I asked many supporters of the new library "What new technology are you promising that is not being offered now?", and get a blank look for an answer, or a quick change of subject.

Who is to blame for the reduction in the number of books in Dudley and Cazenovia??? The bookshelves have a lot of space to fill, so why the need for more space? BTW - The new proposed library is only 12,000 square feet. The Clarence library that keeps coming up in videos and fliers for the new library is not what they are proposing.

Buffalo IS building a new 20,000 square foot North Jefferson Library NOW, so South Buffalo doesn't need a bad deal that CLOSES 2 libraries to get one. Why not let the citizens of South Buffalo decide how to spend $4,000,000 on library services. We could probably fix up the two we have now and save about $3,850,000. This could be done by taking the politicians out of the picture.

These libraries have all the books, movies, magazines, computer and everything that my children need for their school projects including easy access.

Your neighbors - Buffalo family

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    People do you see a pattern here? The people don't want to spend the money for the new library.. BUT they are getting it rammed at them. Which group of residents are asking for a new library?

WHat is wrong with NOT spending the $4,000,000 at all? Just leave what is there enless the community in the general area is asking for a new library. I'm getting the feeling no one cares to have it..

Also what is the monthly running cost max of the new one? Now i hear that want to perhaps have a museium too in the old librray? That's more payroll more cost..

If we save net $20,000 a month on running cost... we DON"T show a savings for 200 years seeing we are spending $4,000,000 up front. Divid $4,000,000 by $20,000 a month in savings. $4,000,000 /$20,000 = 200 years. Am i right?

NOw if the number prove something on the order of $200,000 a year savings min net cost to the taxpayer then our savings start in 20 years. But you know what .. that's long too.

Now if we are saving $900,000 a year you payback is only 4.4 years that means yoru saving is worth the investment.

But if you don't lay off people and hiring more to have perhaps a museum as one poster said... It's just stupid.

The people who are making these decisions have to fix the internal issues of what we have here before deciding cutting our perks.

DO these people who have the meetings to tell the people why they are making thier decisions giving TRUE dollar numbers numbers with written max spending limits once it starts?

Almost everything they do always cost us more! If it didn't are taxes would be stable and not rising as they are.

Allyssa
    I hope the readers have the capability to ask themselves this question:

Would a place like Home Depot offer the materials to construct a new mansion to a rich person when there are so many homeless families living a few miles away?

If (and that is a big IF) the B&ECPL system is really concerned about building a new library, they should take a long, hard look at the communites that really need one.

~Allyssa~

Originally posted by Allyssa
    I hope the readers have the capability to ask themselves this question:

Would a place like Home Depot offer the materials to construct a new mansion to a rich person when there are so many homeless families living a few miles away?

If (and that is a big IF) the B&ECPL system is really concerned about building a new library, they should take a long, hard look at the communites that really need one.

~Allyssa~
    Over in the East Side, people have welcomed the new North Jefferson library, it's a pillar of the community. The existing library is falling apart and leaking water into the place. I didn't know construction had actually started on the new library. I like this sort of thing, this reinvestment is very positive and sends the message that the people in that community are not worthless to the rest of the city.

-Seth

Unregistered

reinvestment

private industry "invests", hoping for a future return on the investment. "reinvestment" would imply that a buisiness is going to repeat an investment that it had previously engaged in.
    City government "spends" consuming resources diverted from the taxpayers.
    Please don't confuse free market investment with pork barrel spending.

Allyssa
    seth,

On the contrary to N. Jefferson, the existing libraries in South Buffalo have nothing wrong with them. Aside from Cazenovia's lack of handicap accessability... which the B&ECPL should have addressed and then recontructed it many, many years ago. Now that they want to build a new one, they're using the lack of their own Responsibilities to gain support from the communities. Dudley is disabled friendly. Plus, they're using the Clarence branch as an example without telling the public that the new one is not going to be the size of Clarence.

How well would reinvestment work at the expense of losing two? Can you help me to understand the positive message of children and senior citizens walking for two miles in any kind of Buffalo weather? These two branches have a very high volume of local (walking) patrons from very young to very old.

I feel the public library system should devide up the four Million dollars and "reinvest" in what's already standing in place of building one new library in one neighborhood. The B&ECPL should consider all of it's patrons... aside from N. Jefferson community that is in the process of gaining a new building.

~~~~~~~~~~~

WNYresident,

the group pushing for the new library is mostly the politicians, and residents that faithfully follow them.

You're right, they're still going to have to maintain a newer structure and they're claiming not to cut any employees from either branch. So the payroll will stay the same. Any time you ask them questions other than what they want to hear, you're just overlooked... a lot of "reflective listening" going on and not a chance that our opinions are being actually heard. (As evident from the other library thread where the "unregistered" user spun off every thing I said).

Unregistered
    "spun off" - defined as: having another person cite and present evidence contrary to my incorrect facts and/or assumtions. See "refusal to accept US census bureau data as fact in other thread" as a good example of "spun off"....

Allyssa
    Are you talking about census bureau data as fact on the libraries???

Allyssa
    In case anyone's interested, I found some numbers and other reading materials on the B&ECPL website.

The new library proposal is going against their own "principles (#6) and Bill of Rights (IV)"

This is their MISSION STATEMENT

Our mission is to enrich the lives of the individuals of Erie County's diverse communities by creating and sustaining superior public library services through responsive staff, dynamic collections, appropriate technology and access to global information.

Principles
    The Buffalo and Erie County Public Library will:
    1.Provide open, equal and free access to information in accordance with the American Library Association's "Library Bill of Rights."
    2.Deliver timely, confidential and customer-oriented service to meet the informational, recreational and educational needs of the community.
    3.Promote lifelong learning by encouraging all children and adults in their enjoyment of reading and discovery.
    4.Contribute to the region's economic vitality by assisting individuals, businesses and government as they pursue better jobs and economic growth.
    5.Create and maintain an environment that attracts, develops and encourages a diverse and skilled staff.
    6.Listen to the entire community in pursuit of the Library’s Mission.
    7.Manage resources effectively and be accountable to its funding sources.
    8.Pursue the private and public funding necessary to fulfill the Library’s Mission.
    Adopted December 17, 1998

ALA Library Bill of Rights
    The American Library Association affirms that all libraries are forums for information and ideas, and that the following basic policies should guide their services.

I. Books and other library resources should be provided for the interest, information, and enlightenment of all people of the community the library serves. Materials should not be excluded because of the origin, background, or views of those contributing to their creation.
    II. Libraries should provide materials and information presenting all points of view on current and historical issues. Materials should not be proscribed or removed because of partisan or doctrinal disapproval.
    III. Libraries should challenge censorship in the fulfillment of their responsibility to provide information and enlightenment.
    IV. Libraries should cooperate with all persons and groups concerned with resisting abridgment of free expression and free access to ideas.
    V. A person’s right to use a library should not be denied or abridged because of origin, age, background, or views.
    VI. Libraries which make exhibit spaces and meeting rooms available to the public they serve should make such facilities available on an equitable basis, regardless of the beliefs or affiliations of individuals or groups requesting their use.
    Adopted June 18, 1948.
    Amended February 2, 1961, and January 23, 1980,
    inclusion of "age" reaffirmed January 23, 1996, by the ALA Council.

This and more information can be found at:
    http://www.buffalolib.org/aboutthelibrary/index.asp
    Which includes Library system stats of each branch for 2000/2001 as well as a finacial summary and more.

**Some links on their website are supported by adobe acrobat reader and may not to available to everyone.

Thanks Allyssa,

It looks like the libray system should follow their policy, but they don't.

At the national ALA convention this year librarians were speaking out in favor os saving the libraries! They are no longer afraid to speak up and do their job! This is not the case in Buffalo. A few library employees I spoke to the other day are afraid to speak out and save the libraries.

An interisting point was brought up at a recent Save our Libraries petition signing. The Save our Libraries literature is presenting all facts based on public records and statements made by library officials at public meetings. The "new" library drive is full of nothing. what gives here? Three informal meetings gave us no location, no blueprints, no imput as to what we want in the community, no information on the "NEW" technology that will be special to this library alone, no specific plans for the two buildings that would be empty, and no specific proposal on how the new location could be with access to all South Buffalo neighborhoods via Public Transportation.

Let's get to the truth! They are not giving the South Buffalo Community a fair proposal. We should not give up our neighborhood libraries.

Buffalo family

Unregistered
    you forgot to mention this violation as well:

"7.Manage resources effectively and be accountable to its funding sources."

Allyssa
    This was also found on the Buffal and Erie County Library's wesite under the Policies heading:

GUIDELINES FOR NEW LIBRARY CONSTRUCTION

BACKGROUND
    While the Buffalo and Erie County Public Library's Board of Trustees acknowledges the need for improved library service in various areas of population growth or residential development, the Board must weigh many factors before it formally approves any expansion, new construction or the replacement of inadequate facilities. Some of the costs associated with such projects must be borne by local municipalities or as a regional cooperative of municipalities, but certain expenses traditionally borne by the System (personnel, books, equipment, utilities, etc.) might divert funds from other areas of the county.

Since 1953, The Buffalo and Erie County Public Library Board has determined the priority of capital projects within the Library System. It is essential that the integrity of this policy be honored if we hope to preserve equity of service and operations. State and local statutes support this position.

With limited funds, derived largely from the County of Erie, the B&ECPL must support a network of more than fifty separate facilities throughout the City of Buffalo and the outlying cities, towns, and villages of the county. When this System was established nearly fifty years ago, its purpose was to provide equitable distribution of library service to all Erie County residents regardless of location, income, political affiliation or any other qualification.

Attempts to unilaterally augment library service in any community without the endorsement of the Library Board subverts the Board's legal authority. Concepts such as regionalization or innovative funding strategies must be explored in order to avoid imposing undue burdens on the entire System.

*** The Board cannot approve any proposed project that might enhance the quality of library service in one area at the expense of another.

Which means clearly that if the New Library is built on Seneca Street as proposed, the area in which Dudley is located will lose out. The Buffalo and Erie County Public Library system is again going against their own policies!!!!!

Allyssa
    According to their proposal, the new library will have approx. 12,000 square feet of library space.

But, according to their figures: One acre equals 43,560 square feet. So, if the library is exactly 12,000 sq. feet as they plan, their New Library Construction Parameter Guidelines says that the Minimum site size of 12,000 sq. feet is to be set on 1.1 acres of land.

And what will become of the remaining 31,560+ square feet that is required accordance to the B&ECPL new library construction guidelines? That's more than two times the amount of space of the actual building itself.

This proposed size of the new library is nowhere near the square footage in Clarence, and yet they're using the Clarence Branch as the example to sell this idea.

And where will they find more than 44,000 square feet of available land to reconstruct this new building?

Well, I think they should just fix up the existing libraries and be done with it. If the people want the two libraries there then they should have them.

Now, Mr. Unregistered. How dare you imply the North Jefferson library project is "pork barrel spending!" That library is one of the few bright spots in that neighborhood, and is frequently utilized by the people there. I should know, I used to live near there (now I live downtown). It *is* reinvestment. For the longest time, the areas in the center of town have been neglected by both the city and private industry. Now we're getting a chance for a catalyst to rebuild the area.

Once before the area was invested in. Now it is being invested in again once more, with the new Tops supermarket and Canisius College's expansion among other things.

That's reinvestment in my book.

-Seth

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information