Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Arrogant Joel stumbles again...

Arrogant Joel stumbles again...

The once mighty King Joel again bit off more than he could chew. The latest being the takeover of the City parks. The first was the Transfer station, now the parks, possibly the culturals. The next rumored is the Holding Center takeover of the Cell Block. The county was once flush with cash, but quickly depleted what it had, and is now facing enormous deficits, possibly 200 million. Had Joel done some homework he would have seen that his consolidations cost more than he anticipated. Why he didn't look down the road is beyond me. Guess he wanted to implement his agenda, consequences be damned. His eyes were on the patronage jobs that would come with those takeovers, all at the taxpayers expense. It has come full circle, and bit him in the ass. Why did he conceal the horrible mess the county was in for so long ? Why did the legislature have to take him to court to release budget finance numbers ? Why did he lobby for a huge pay raise only one year ago ? Because he had done such a good job ? He did do a good job on two fronts, he destroyed the counties finances, and took good care of his friends and family. And again, the taxpayer is left holding the empty bag.

stevenco

Re: Arrogant Joel stumbles again...

Originally posted by Deerhunter
    Why did he conceal

Conceal is the operative word, here. It's what criminals do.
    Why do so many people think he is inept? He's a criminal.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I wonder how many things are conceal in the state of ny

Politics WNY
    http://politicswny.com/

"No wonder County Executive Joel Giambra refuses to consider raising property taxes ... Giambra has purchased a parcel in Elma, NY & is going to build a $500,000.00 home on the parcel," sources say. I called the Elma Building & Permits office this a.m. & the office staff confirmed this story, "Joel Giambra owns a parcel in the Buffalo Creek Estates development."
    I received a call from the Elma Building & Permit Supervisor Joseph Colern Jr. Colern says he has received a number of calls from media. He is telling callers he doesn't know who I am & he doesn't read my publication. Also, Giambra doesn't own a parcel in the Buffalo Creek Estates Development. Colern said, he is the only one in the office. But what about Asst. Building Inspector Tom Stynes ~ Dept. Secretary/Clerk Lisa Koral, Mr Colern?
    I asked Colern, who I talked to in his office. He said he didn't know his secretary is out sick. He asked me to pull the story. I said I have to consider it. He said, "you update all day." I said, 'I thought you didn't read my publication.'
    I had enough & abruptly asked him if Giambra or his wife, etc., own any property in Elma. He said, "I don't know. I issue permits." He then said, "call the assessor."
    I did just that. "The last parcel belongs to a Bald Eagle Trust out of the Lafayette Building, downtown Buffalo." I am trying to identify the principals of that firm?

Here is the kicker:
    Buffalo Creek Estates was developed by former Giambra hire Douglas Naylon who pled guilty to charges stemming from the Special Grand Jury Aurora Garage scandal. Stay Tuned!

The good government group, Common Cause, sent an email to its members urging them to lobby state lawmakers for the establishment of "a statewide ‘C-Span,’ a system that will allow you to watch New York State Legislative proceedings on television, making our legislators more accountable to us." The email urged members to contact Assemblyman Ron Canestrari, chair of an Assembly working group on this issue and Senate Majority Leader Joseph Bruno. Senate sessions are currently already available via webcast.
    ---------------------------------

"What is the TRUE magnitude of the County’s deficit? Nobody can come up with accurate numbers, not even the Comptroller (in spite of spending $24 million on a new computer system – but that’s another story). Everyone is proposing various groups or officials review the budget. How about getting 12 “long time, recently laid off” county
    Employees, to review the Budget (one employee from each of the County’s departments). There is no doubt that they can tell us EXACTLY what is wrong with this Budget."
    -------------------------------

"I have been sitting back trying to control my outrage at the travesty and the injustice that has been perpetrated against the citizenry of this county. Just where is the leadership? Just where is the integrity? There is something called ethical leadership which is sorely lacking. I am absolutely appalled that people speak in front of the cameras and blatantly lie to the public. How can our leaders actually think that we believe pork and patronage are cut?
    I was able to view the first round of cuts by looking at the web sites of Channel 7 and Channel 2. I see that the "big fish" still have their jobs. Why is it that the people working on the front lines are gone but the administrative staffs are still there? Why is it that consultants are still in the budget while nurses, sheriff's, social service employees, and health workers are gone? Why are temporary employees not victim to the cuts but people of 20 years are gone? "
    ----------------------------

"Let's see if I have this right. My County Tax Bill is about the same this year as last year. However, I have no parks, reduced police protection, three less clinics in the City, no nurses in the City Schools, no suburban Auto Bureaus, no forensic lab, a gutted DAs office etc. etc. etc. Oh yeah, and there are from 2000 to 3000 new people in the unemployment lines - a fact that many residents appear to relish as a cause for celebration. For some reason, I feel I have a right to expect more from my elected representatives. Anyone who can look at this picture and think we are somehow on the right road is a fool."

The Count's back to tell you what's what.
    This website makes money off of a depraved and idiotic conspiracy theory.

stevenco

Thumbs up Solved!

Frankenberry for County Executive!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frankenberry.gif 
Views:	268 
Size:	6.3 KB 
ID:	149  

The News is still Giambra's cheerleader,
    The front page had a big headline about how 70+% of the county residents blamed Giambra fro the mess. Then the article went on to explain how misinformed they were and Joel saying he would work very hard to get his message out, and tell the real story. They went on to say how it wasn't his fault.
    Never mentioned the 500 million he went through like a drunken sailor. How he should of saw it coming. His stupid theatrics with his green "happy " budget if you gave him his tax increase, and his red "evil"budget if you didn't.
    The friends and family, the furniture, the highway department, or his constant harping about medicade and yet his faliure to make any cuts or adjustment to his budget to prepare for it in his last five years as county executive.
    Never mentioned any reason why 70+% of the tax payers might be a little vexed at him other then they were, in Joel's words, "misinformed".
    Am I missing something?
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

By the way, what happened to biker? I miss the old coot.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Never mentioned the 500 million he went through like a drunken sailor. How he should of saw it coming. His stupid theatrics with his green "happy " budget if you gave him his tax increase, and his red "evil"budget if you didn't.
    Makes you wonder how stupid they really are.

Originally posted by citymouse
    Am I missing something?
    Just that Giambra's so bad that he gives politicians a bad name as hard as that might seem ... okay, a worse name!

He's back!!!!
    Just heard on the radio, Joel Giambra is back from Florida. Tanned, rested and ready. He wants to sit down with the Unions and the legislature to work this out, to find a solution. When asked if he would take a ten percent paycut as a gesture, his reply was "Pay cuts are just be Symbolic". He quickley added, "But I would if the unions did first".
    First off as far as sitting down with the involved parties to craft a budget that could still provide essential services with out exspensive lawsuits by department heads and did not involve tax increases is something he as county executive should have done in August when he started form his budget.
    Message to Joel; its called LEADERSHIP. Something he obviously knows nothing about.
    If he took a "symbolic" paycut of ten percent and got all his appointed staff, as well as the legislatures and thier staff, the savings would cease to be symbolic and would allow them to bring some people, such as school nurses, or parks workers or sheriff deputies back to work.
    His family members alone would probably restore all the plow drivers.
    Making such a symbolic gesture would more than likley force the unions to sit and negotiate the same for thier members in thier next contract.
    That would be taking the first step, but that again involves the afoementioned "L" word that he knows nothing about.
    He wants to sit down and save his political ass, thats the only thing he is trying to salvage.
    He also is back saying his failed leadership (my words, not his) is a good incentive for merging goverments..
    He must have got some good drugs in Florida.
    I can't beleive any one would take this guy as genuine anymore. He is a snake ooil salesman that should be run out of town on a rail.
    When his term expires, if he lasts that long in office, hopefully the public drops him like a bad habit.
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

By the way, what happened to biker? I miss the old coot.

County Lawmaker To Cut His Own Pay
    WBEN Newsroom - Monday, February 28, 2005 07:38 AM

Buffalo, NY (WBEN) - Throughout the county budget crisis there have been many calls for county leaders to save money by cutting their own salaries. Now, one lawmaker is doing just that...

Republican Barry Weinstein has submitted a resolution to cut his -- and only his -- salary by 25%. The money, he says, would then be transferred to his district office so he can keep staffers on the payroll.

Weinstein has two full-time jobs, one as a doctor and the other as a lawyer, and says he can afford the pay cut.

"Providing constituents services in my office is more important than me getting paid," Weinstein said.

Weinstein says he will not be calling for other legislators to follow his example.

"I can't impose that on my colleagues. It's up to them to voluntarily give back, if they want to -- if they can afford it," Weinstein said.

When asked if he would take a ten percent paycut as a gesture, his reply was "Pay cuts are just be Symbolic".
    Pay cuts for the leaders? It's got nothing to do with "leadership".

The people who are being laid-off want to impose a penalty (pay cut) for the guy who laid them off - it's that simple. Yes, it IS a symbolic gesture!

I think that if Giambra (or anyone else who holds the office) reduces payroll by 20% or so, his salary should DOUBLE. That's called LEADERSHIP, not PANDERING.
    Data is not the plural of Anecdote.

Originally posted by Curmudgeon
    I think that if Giambra (or anyone else who holds the office) reduces payroll by 20% or so, his salary should DOUBLE. That's called LEADERSHIP, not PANDERING.
    Yeah, but he's not cutting because of leadership. He's cutting because he no longer has any control of the situation, and he resisted the cuts every step of the way.

Not exactly actions that should be rewarded.

Can I please have a show of hands?

How many of you in the private sector, got a raise of 39 to 50 percent, in the last year?

The last 5 yrs? The last 10 yrs? The last 20 yrs?

------------------

Citizens panel seeks pay in line with responsibilities
    Raises urged for county officials 2/14/2004
    DEREK GEE/Buffalo News

A citizens panel may advise a 40 percent raise for County Executive Joel A. Giambra.

A citizens panel may soon recommend that Joel A. Giambra should get a 40 percent pay raise as county executive, based on the fact that he now earns substantially less than the district attorney and many of his own top aides.
    The panel is also deliberating pay raises of more than 50 percent for the county comptroller, sheriff and county clerk, based on the same criteria. More modest raises are being considered for the county's 15 legislators.

Members of the Citizens Salary Review Commission have been studying the salaries of the highest-ranking elected officials since early January and are expected to reach a final recommendation for consideration by the County Legislature within the next week or two.

The nine committee members were appointed by Giambra and the County Legislature after County Clerk David Swartz and Sheriff Patrick M. Gallivan asked that the review panel be reconvened. A meeting scheduled for Friday was postponed because too few members could attend.

While the commission has not yet issued a recommendation, many members seem to agree in principle that the county executive, who currently makes $103,428, deserves to be the highest-paid official in county government.

"You have to look at the office," said committee Chairman James F. Doherty. "More money should go to the person with the highest responsibility."

Currently, District Attorney Frank J. Clark is the highest-paid elected county official. He earns $136,700 annually, a sum established through the state judicial system.

A salary structure now being discussed by the commission would set Giambra's salary at $143,535 - 5 percent above the district attorney's salary and about 39 percent more than what the county executive's job pays now.

Committee members have also discussed setting salaries for the sheriff, comptroller and county clerk at 10 percent below what the district attorney makes. If their pay were to increase in line with discussions, their salaries would jump from roughly $80,000 to $123,000 - an increase of more than 50 percent

Under this same salary structure, county legislators would be recommended to receive 35 percent of what the district attorney makes. That would increase their pay from $42,588 to $47,845, about a 12 percent increase.

Many county residents and union employees have said raises for Giambra and other elected officials should not be considered at a time when rank-and-file government workers are being threatened with layoffs or pressured into accepting wage freezes in exchange for covered health insurance.

"If I am working in a profession and I don't produce good results, I don't get a pay raise," said Betty LaDelfa, a lifelong Western New York resident whose son-in-law works for the Buffalo Police Department. "What have these people done in the last two to four years? Can they honestly say this is a better place to live or work? I don't think so."

In response to criticism, several commission members stated that the goal of their group is not to evaluate whether any individual elected official "deserves" or "merits" a raise, but rather to determine what the elected positions themselves are worth.

They argue that the elected leaders of a $1 billion organization should earn salaries commensurate with their job descriptions.

"In order to keep competent people in these positions, and in order to attract competent people in the future, you need to have a salary adjustment," said Jennifer Parker, president of the Black Capital Network.

With the exception of the district attorney, none of the top elected officials has gotten a raise since 1996, the last time the Citizens Salary Review Commission convened. Though the commission is supposed to meet every two years, in practice it hasn't.

For that reason, most elected county officials now make less money than the county administrators who work directly below them. For example, a number of the county's department heads make at least $10,000 more than Giambra.

That's because non-union managerial employees are typically accorded the same yearly percentage pay increases as those given to members of the Civil Service Employees Association. Several commission members expressed frustration that a more routine process does not exist for according annual or biennial raises for elected officials. That's why, they said, they hope to include a provision that annually ties the raises of elected officials to that of the district attorney.

The committee looked at everything from the Erie County payroll and price indexes to the salaries of school superintendents, nonprofit organizations, and the payrolls of other county governments.

They also took into consideration the Western New York economy, they said.

Committee member Peter Zaleski, retired president of Key Bank, said that while many committee members agree on Giambra's salary, some disagree on how much money the county clerk, sheriff and comptroller should make.

Zaleski said he thinks $123,000 a year for those positions is excessive.

"I think it's a little more aggressive than I'm willing to go," he said.

A Buffalo News analysis of these three positions shows that the salary structure now being considered by the committee would be equivalent to what these officials would make if they had gotten raises of more than 5 percent each year since 1997.

Once the Salary Review Commission makes its final recommendation, it will issue a report for consideration by the County Legislature. The Legislature will have final say over how much of a raise the elected officials receive, if any.

Let me be the 1st.

I got raises.

On:

property tax
    Co. tax
    school tax
    taxes on gsaoline
    " '' phone
    " ' cell phone
    " " ect. , ect. ect.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information