Applications - Eligibility Information

The Medicaid Program is a grouping of Health Care programs for Erie County residents who cannot afford to pay for medical care. All Medicaid recipients must meet certain State and Federal requirements to be eligible.

How do I qualify for Medicaid Health Insurance Programs?

You may be eligible for Medicaid Health insurance if:

You have high medical bills

You receive Supplemental Security Income [SSI]

You meet certain income, resource, age or disability requirements [see chart].

How do I apply?

To obtain a Medicaid application, call 858-6582. Applications are also available at the Erie County Works Center - 158 Pearl Street [Rath Building], Buffalo, New York.

Income Levels:

Households with children and disabled individuals -

The chart below shows how much income you can receive in a month and the amount of resources you can retain and still qualify for Medicaid. The income and resource levels depend on the number of your family members who live with you.

You may also own a home, car, and personal property and still be eligible. The income of legally responsible relatives in the household will be counted.

Can I be eligible for Medicaid even if I make more money than the chart shows?

Yes, some people can. Pregnant women, children, disabled persons, and others may also be eligible for Medicaid programs if their income and/or resources are above these levels and they have high medical bills. Your Medicaid worker will help you determine if you fit into one of these groups.

chart information:

2005 Medicaid Income & Resource Levels

Number in Family
Monthly Net Income
Resources

$667
$4,000

$975
$5,850

$984
$5,900

$992