Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there anyone who doesn't want the Gun Club Developed?

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Is there anyone who doesn't want the Gun Club Developed?

What do the people around the gunclub think about rezoning and developing that area?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    What do the people around the gunclub think about rezoning and developing that area?
    yeah...let walmart build there and clean it up...that way it saves the town the cleaning fees.
    "All government, -indeed, every human benefit and enjoyment, every virtue and every prudent act,- is founded on compromise..." -Edmund Burke
    A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.
    Mark Twain (1835 - 1910), (attributed)
    Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." —Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004 George W. Bush

I just recently posted some of my comments about this in a separate thread. But, I'm never too cool to repeat myself.

That place probably is an appropriate place for some kind of development. Even the proposed uses are pretty groovy... if the rendering actually materializes. To me a critical hesitation is the apparent lack of mitigation of cut through traffic that will most certainly head across Maple to Fairways Estates. To pretend that stuff like that won't be significant is... well... just silly.

It's a shame they couldn't put something like this in areas that NEED that kind of development, such as urban areas.

But, of course, I'd bet you any money that if they wanted to put that same development somewhere in the city, the pant crapping obstructionists would take issue.

Seriously. If they wanted to put that same thing on Elmwood or Hertel or even in Delaware Avenue, they'd be harrassed.

Yet I still say that the uptown sections of Main Street, especially with the new development in the Medical Corridor, would be a great place for something new like this... But you know what people tell me when I say that stuff. (NO! NOOOOOOOO! We MUST forever be stuck in the past! New is only for the surburbs and the suburbs are EVIL, etc.").

As for the Amherst thing... I dunno... It stands to reason that this is just another mega new development spawned off from UB.
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I'm surprized benderson would build more seeing just on Union Road alone there are empty buildings. You should charge him every tax penny allowable because the area doesn't need "that" area developed. IE: IDA giveaways. No tax abartements at all. Even if the buildings are empty charge them going rate that every resident or small business pays. Do you pay full property taxes if you live in your home only 1/2 the year while it sits empty?

Force developers to build where it's really needed.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Here's the group

http://fairwaysblvd.com/

Maple Rd

I want to see an independent study of the traffic on Maple and the effect the Benderson development will have on that traffic. I also want an update on the empty land on Maple and No Forest. If there is no concrete plan to develop that parcel, Benderson should be made to develop the property into something presentable. Benderson can afford it. Why should that eyesore be allowed to stand for years? There should be a local law about property like this. Bailey and Sheridan is another example.
    dono

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Why should that eyesore be allowed to stand for years?
    Would you like me to drive up and down union road and take pictures of the empty benderson strip area that are eyesores?

WNY - you surprise me

Can you be a little more specific in your response?
    dono

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvoakley
    Can you be a little more specific in your response?
    If you drive up and down union road in cheektowaga you'll see there are buildings that are empty. Dicks plaza...quite a bit of space at the tops at union and george urban etc.

Isn't the gun club mostly green space?

Does erie county really need less green space while there are quite of few other empty large buildings?

I don't see anything wrong with the development. If you are arguing that it should be put on Union Rd, I wouldn't necessarily agree.

I imagine Benderson did market research before they implemented this type of development. It has specialty stores and residential buildings (movie theater, grocer, condominiums, etc). IMO, this type of development wouldn't fit near the Walden-Galleria Mall.

I do agree with you that no town or county IDA handouts should be given. This is not like trying to jump start a depressed community.

Quote Originally Posted by CSense
    I don't see anything wrong with the development.

- snip -
    Your thoughts on the cut through traffic (through Fairways Estates) that will most certainly be directly and unilaterally generated by this specific commercial development?

Quote Originally Posted by Member 2358
    Your thoughts on the cut through traffic (through Fairways Estates) that will most certainly be directly and unilaterally generated by this specific commercial development?
    Yeah, there will be traffic. If the town is too stupid to see it, then blame them. Benderson is asking to build this development, if common sense does not prevail (Town requiring Benderson to do a traffic study) then you should remove your town board members.

In the end, the town is not going to pass up such a development. It will add greatly to the tax rolls. It will not be expanding it's infrastructure and creating higher density, which puts more money in the town coffers.

The best compromise would be traffic design restrictions on both Maple and the development.

Quote Originally Posted by Member 2358
    That place probably is an appropriate place for some kind of development. Even the proposed uses are pretty groovy... if the rendering actually materializes. To me a critical hesitation is the apparent lack of mitigation of cut through traffic that will most certainly head across Maple to Fairways Estates. To pretend that stuff like that won't be significant is... well... just silly.
    Yeah, well when you said that on the other thread I asked you this question, and you fell silent:

Quote Originally Posted by me
    It seems to be a common thought that people like the development, but don't think it's "the right place for it." After all, there are side streets nearby, that may be used as "cut-throughs."

So...what is "the right place for it?"

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    If you drive up and down union road in cheektowaga you'll see there are buildings that are empty. Dicks plaza...quite a bit of space at the tops at union and george urban etc.

Isn't the gun club mostly green space?

Does erie county really need less green space while there are quite of few other empty large buildings?
    You keep going back to this saying "Why would Benderson want to build when they have vacant stores on Union?"

- Dick's Plaza -- not owned by Benderson
    - Geo Urban and Dick, you have Top's Plaza - I don't think it's all that vacant, but it's not owned by Benderson either.
    - Consumer Square is just about full. (Circuit City, Sam's Club, etc)
    - Next door to Top's Plaza, you have the building that used to be Pep Boys, they renovated it, and turned it into a few different stores - Harbor Freight, Salsarita, etc. I believe it's full.
    - Across the street from there, you have Dibella's building (brand new) which is mostly vacant, and another old building which was previously crappy, but has since been renovated. (No, there are no tenants in it yet).

Point being - That area is not as bad as you make it seem.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information