Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lancaster and the Tonawandas consider sharing one assessor

Lancaster and the Tonawandas consider sharing one assessor

It's great to see Lancaster is looking at assessor sharing again. I don't know why Lancaster pulled out the last time, but am happy they're looking again to save money.
    http://www.buffalonews.com/city/comm...icle714000.ece

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    It's great to see Lancaster is looking at assessor sharing again. I don't know why Lancaster pulled out the last time, but am happy they're looking again to save money.
    Steve Watson’s Buffalo News report on the Assessor office consolidation was well written.

However, as someone who attended the town board work session, as well as the regular meeting, I was perplexed a to why the matter was publically discussed as the City and Town of Tonawanda is currently weighing its options on either hiring a full time Assessor and or consolidating services with other municipalities.

Although this sharing of service is a cost-savings project and would be a step in the right direction for fiscal responsibility, as newly elected Supervisor Fudoli has advocated in his campaign promises, it has yet to happen.

Such sharing of services with West Seneca was proposed by Assessor Marrano but a few years ago and dismissed by a few town board members as being too “risky”. That term was used again last night at the work session to describe why the West Seneca consolidation was not completed. Unfortunately, no one from the public thought on asking what the risk actually was at the time and why this project is less so. From all appearances, it appears all board members are receptive to this consolidation.

This is a worthwhile project and hopefully its public discussion at this initial stage does not affect its outcome. The Tonawandas are exploring their options; hopefully this will not dissuade them from partnering with Lancaster.

I have watched Steve Watson's writing skills improve as time goes on. I also was impressed with his article.

I feel that we have to look to the future, consolidation of services are becoming popular and I hope this will work out between the towns.

Dave Marrano is an excellent part of this towns team.

Fudoli spoke to this very issue in the debate with Giza-

From Lee's debate article-
    http://www.speakupwny.com/article_4648.shtml
    “I would like to speak to the fact that this town board would not allow the Assessor to share services with other towns. Mr. Giza’s statement is disingenuous. The other town would have shared costs to run that office. We have to stop playing politics in this town and to start sharing services with other towns to save money, whether it is police forces, sheriffs, etc"

Hopefully, the Tonawanda's will view this as an opportunity to save taxpayer money

Georgia L Schlager

Wow - what short memories we have! I cant believe what I'm reading - here and in the Bufnews.

Please - show us how Lancaster will "Factually save money" - ain't gonna happen.

Our Assessor gets a raise(more tax dollars) - he spends less time in Lancaster - if his job is so slow then why is he getting paid full time and full benefits? Will his pay from the Town of Lancaster be "reduced" - Please don't use the "Off set" story - it isn't real.

What - are they trying to stack the deck before Governor Cuomo passes his restrictions

Tax dollars are tax dollars - even the if as stated, "might be eligible for efficiency grants from New York State that are meant as an incentive to encourage consolidation of municipal services, Fudoli and Marrano said" Aren't those "grants" actually funded by tax dollars?

As Mr.Marrano also stated, " the Tonawandas may want to hire an additional appraiser"

So another tax funded employee + a new salary for our assessor + tax funded benefits and tax enhanced pensions = more taxes.
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

At the assessor's present salary of $68,630, with the salary shared in proportion to parcels as stated in the article- Town of Tonawanda with 28000 parcels, Lancaster with 18,000 parcels and City of Tonawanda with 6000 parcels, Lancaster's share would be 34.6% or $23,745.98. That's a $44,884.02 savings.

In 2011, the Town of Tonawanda assessor's salary was $72,867.87. Their 53.8% share of our present assessor's salary amounts to $36,922.94

The City of Tonawanda assessor's salary was $53,287. Their 11.5% share of our present assessor's salary would amount to $7,892.45.
    There would be room to increase the assessor salary and still save money.

What's puzzling is the Buffalo News article in the Tonawanda section has no mention of Lancaster.
    http://www.buffalonews.com/city/comm...icle709292.ece

Georgia L Schlager

Does Mr. Marano currently work forty hours a week for the Town of Lancaster? If that is the case, taking gorja's calculations a step further. In as much as Marano's salary will be split three ways, it would be correct to also split his work week three ways. Using gorja's percentages Marano would then work his forty hour week as such: Lancaster 13.84 hours or 1.73 days (34.60%); Town of Tonawanda: 21.52 hours or 2.69 days (53.8%) and City of Tonawanda: 4.6 hours or .57 days (11.5%).

Now for some questions:

1. How come each town had full time assessors before, how can Mr. Marano do the same job in each town given so few hours in each?

2. What exactly will Mr. Marano's duties be in each; will he be an actual assessor/appraiser meaning he will actually visit properties, review exemption applications etc and be accessible to taxpayers or will he be a faceless department head acting in a mostly ministerial position?

3. With the reduced time commitment Mr. Marano makes to each town is it not conceivable that additional employees will be hired by each town to cover for the work Mr. Marano doesn't have time to perform?

4. Will Mr. Marano continue to attend numerous county and state "meetings" thus reducing his time commitment to each of the towns?

My point in all of this is the three towns contain a large number of properties, to expect one person to do the job of three is a fantasy. It is obvious each town will be hiring more people. Additionally, if Mr. Marano can fulfill his duties to the town of Lancaster in just under 2 days per week, then if this deal does not go through, Lancaster should look at reducing his full time status and salary accordingly...still a savings for the Lancaster taxpayer!

Originally posted by gorja:
    What's puzzling is the Buffalo News article in the Tonawanda section has no mention of Lancaster.
    http://www.buffalonews.com/city/comm...icle709292.ece
    Oops. Just realized the Tonawanda article was 4 days older than the one that's the subject of this thread.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by Bud B Boomer View Post
    Does Mr. Marano currently work forty hours a week for the Town of Lancaster? If that is the case, taking gorja's calculations a step further. In as much as Marano's salary will be split three ways, it would be correct to also split his work week three ways. Using gorja's percentages Marano would then work his forty hour week as such: Lancaster 13.84 hours or 1.73 days (34.60%); Town of Tonawanda: 21.52 hours or 2.69 days (53.8%) and City of Tonawanda: 4.6 hours or .57 days (11.5%).

Now for some questions:

1. How come each town had full time assessors before, how can Mr. Marano do the same job in each town given so few hours in each?

2. What exactly will Mr. Marano's duties be in each; will he be an actual assessor/appraiser meaning he will actually visit properties, review exemption applications etc and be accessible to taxpayers or will he be a faceless department head acting in a mostly ministerial position?

3. With the reduced time commitment Mr. Marano makes to each town is it not conceivable that additional employees will be hired by each town to cover for the work Mr. Marano doesn't have time to perform?

4. Will Mr. Marano continue to attend numerous county and state "meetings" thus reducing his time commitment to each of the towns?

My point in all of this is the three towns contain a large number of properties, to expect one person to do the job of three is a fantasy. It is obvious each town will be hiring more people. Additionally, if Mr. Marano can fulfill his duties to the town of Lancaster in just under 2 days per week, then if this deal does not go through, Lancaster should look at reducing his full time status and salary accordingly...still a savings for the Lancaster taxpayer!
    I do have to wonder how the West Seneca contract is working out. In May 2010, Elma and West Seneca agreed to share an assessor - Mon & Wed in Elma; Tue & Thu in West Seneca with Fridays every other week in each town. But since she is also the assessor for the towns of Bennington and Marilla, wonder if Elma and West Seneca are still getting their 3 days one week and 2 days the other week.

Georgia L Schlager

Now for some questions:

Boomer, all good questions and or concerns to raise. Now this is just my opinion on this one, perhaps Lee can even weigh in on this. I wonder if technology plays a role here. With how we have moved into the age where computers can really condense our work load I would have to wonder if that might play a role.

I think it might work well.

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    Boomer, all good questions and or concerns to raise. Now this is just my opinion on this one, perhaps Lee can even weigh in on this. I wonder if technology plays a role here. With how we have moved into the age where computers can really condense our work load I would have to wonder if that might play a role.

I think it might work well.
    Computers have been used in the assessment/appraisal field for years; starting in the 1970's and evolving since as the technology "advances". Even with the technology the profession continues to hold a strong customer interface involvement. Things like building inspections, property exemptions and taxpayer discussions/negotiations all require a personal involvement. The questions remain, if Mr. Marano can fulfill his responsibilities with just 1.7 days in Lancaster under this agreement, why is he currently classed as full time making $68k in salary along with full time retirement benefits, health care and what is he doing the other 3.3 days of the week? Under this proposal will Mr. Marano be readily available and out front in the position or will he be a faceless "Peggy" at the end of some 800 number?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Computers have been used in the assessment/appraisal field for years; starting in the 1970's and evolving since as the technology "advances". Even with the technology the profession continues to hold a strong customer interface involvement. Things like building inspections, property exemptions and taxpayer discussions/negotiations all require a personal involvement. The questions remain, if Mr. Marano can fulfill his responsibilities with just 1.7 days in Lancaster under this agreement, why is he currently classed as full time making $68k in salary along with full time retirement benefits, health care and what is he doing the other 3.3 days of the week? Under this proposal will Mr. Marano be readily available and out front in the position or will he be a faceless "Peggy" at the end of some 800 number?
    You can say this same comment about a fair number of people who work for us.

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Quote from article:

Lancaster Councilman Ronald Ruffino Sr. has been talking to Joseph H. Emminger, a Tonawanda councilman, and Tonawanda Mayor Ronald J. Pilozzi has discussed this with Fudoli.
    I seem to remember that Mr. Ruffino was totally against sharing in the past. Has Ron changed his mind and attempting to work with Supervisor Fudoli or trying to take credit? Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by ichingtheory View Post
    Quote from article:

Lancaster Councilman Ronald Ruffino Sr. has been talking to Joseph H. Emminger, a Tonawanda councilman, and Tonawanda Mayor Ronald J. Pilozzi has discussed this with Fudoli.
    I seem to remember that Mr. Ruffino was totally against sharing in the past. Has Ron changed his mind and attempting to work with Supervisor Fudoli or trying to take credit? Time will tell.
    Is the Joseph Emminger the same Joseph Emminger that is the President of Emminger, Newton, Pigeon & Magyar Inc http://www.enpmappraisers.com The same firm that was hired by Giza and Marano a couple of years ago to do the Lancaster reassessment? Is this payback for Mr. Marano?

Quote Originally Posted by ichingtheory View Post
    Quote from article:

Oh, I remember reading that on one of Lee's articles. Ruffino was not a proponet for this consolidation of services as well as Donna Stempniak. In fact a question if anyone was present at the town board meeting the other night, what was Donna Stempniak's response to this plan?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information