Thread: Proposal seeks to convert 113 acres into state-run, public natural habitat

Proposal seeks to convert 113 acres into state-run, public natural habitat

From: http://www.buffalonews.com/city/comm...icle714286.ece

More than one-quarter of a 439-acre parcel where the former West Seneca Developmental Center was once housed has been proposed as a state-run natural habitat for passive recreation uses, such as hiking, birding and photography.

The proposal — by the town’s environmental commission and the state Department of Environmental Conservation — was unveiled Wednesday evening at the first of four informational workshops held at the West Seneca Senior Center about future uses for the land.

“Right now, it’s a proposal, so nothing is set in stone at this point,” said Evelyn Hicks, chairwoman of the West Seneca Environmental Commission. “We’re going to be learning more about the development of the parcel and what opportunities are there for it.”

In all, about 60 people at the senior center got an informative 10,000-year overview about the history of the property from town historian Jim Pace, followed by details about the current environmental features of the land by wildlife biologist Kenneth Roblee Sr. of the state DEC.

Roblee said the DEC is asking the state Dormitory Authority, which holds title to the property, to deed it 113 of the acres to preserve and maintain as public lands for use in passive recreational activities and fishing along a more-than- 2-mile stretch of Cazenovia Creek that winds around the northern property line.
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

255 acres for residential use. Comment from Joe Lorigo ,Leg. Joseph Lorigo just arrived and is introducing himself. "The state owns it and we don't really know what they're going to do with it," Lorigo said. Can you say Young

Quote Originally Posted by SOMETHING SMELLS View Post
    255 acres for residential use. Comment from Joe Lorigo ,Leg. Joseph Lorigo just arrived and is introducing himself. "The state owns it and we don't really know what they're going to do with it," Lorigo said. Can you say Young
    Really? Because I was at this meeting, and I don't recall hearing Joe say anything like that. Oh wait, I couldn't hear the voices in your head. If fact, Joe stated that he is just as concerned with what happens at the property, because he lives very close to it.

Regardless of what you think you heard, the fact remains, the State DOES own the property, and CAN do with what they want. People need to realize that the State may accept input from the residents of the Town, but that doesn't mean they have to go along with what the residents want. Furthermore, given the scope of issues surrounding this piece of land, any real development is at least 10 years down the road. Evelyn Hicks mentioned asbestos abatement in the buildings. Given the State's budget, I don't see that being a priority any time soon. Most likely the State will board up the buildings, and let them sit vacant.

So, let's address developers. Whether it's Young, Marrano, Piatrowski, Essex, etc., if they buy it, they can develop it in any manner they wish. Most likely it will be some type of housing, single family, senior housing, townhomes, patio homes, whatever. Will that be ok? Or, as once rumored, it could be turned into a low to medium security prison. It's the States land, they could do it. And for those who think a golf course would be a good idea, forget that notion. Golf course are fighting for business, some failing miserably. Oh, what about a park? Who's going to pay for that? State, County, Town? Sorry, we can't afford the parks we have now, i.e. Knox Park in EA.

Apart from a few relative questions regarding potential future boundries, I heard people more worried about deer eating their shrubs and possibly people wandering onto their property while taking a walk in nature. It was the typical "I'm for any plan, that doesn't infringe on, or disrupt my life" mentality.

Maybe I'll win the lottery, buy the land,and have the property rezoned back to agricultural. I can put in a mushroom, pig, and chicken farm, then something really will smell.
    I'd rather be hated for who I am... than loved for who I'm not!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    What could be done with the property that would add the least amount of burden to the people living in WS?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    What could be done with the property that would add the least amount of burden to the people living in WS?
    Res, the least amount of burden would only come with the State retaining title to the property. Since I doubt that is going to happen, the next would be private development, where the Town could then collect taxes on the land. A park, as some have suggested in other posts, would place the burden on the tax payers. Especially if it's a Town or County park. And a golf course is just not practicle.

As usual, there are people in this Town that fail to see the big picture. The State will pretend to listen to the residents concerns, but in the end, will do what is in the best interest of the State. The DEC has requested some of the land be turned over to them, but that doesn't insure it's going to happen. Keep in mind, there are down State representatives that don't give a rats ass about West Seneca, if they even know where it is. So, unless our reps play nice with them, and give them something in return, it's going to go to the highest bidder.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Why don't they take the "funds" Cuomo is throwing around and build something on the property? Make it a tourist attraction. Do something that will have an economic impact of millions of dollars per year... Yeah that's right... Millions...That trickle down effect. Something that will also provide jobs in the future....Yeah Jobs... That's what it is all about...Maybe a world class hockey rink... people play hockey.. how about a new billion dollar convention center with attached sport complex? That sounds good.. It will help attract people to the hotels in the City of Buffalo because of the tourist draw. We'll take some of that billion and extend the metro rail right into WS. The income that will will generate because of the influx of riders will help the NFTA be more profitable closing the budget gaps. That will also boost shopping downtown! People in WS will be able to take the metro and shop downtown while tourist are using the extended metro rail to get to the new ws convention center! I could go on but I don't want to sound like an elected official

Res, you forgot the free college education. After all, it's for the children.

Unfortunately, no matter what is proposed for the property, there will be people bitching about it. That's what West Senecans do best. It's taken me a while to realize this fact, since I only moved here nine years ago, but they don't seem to like anything. At first, I thought they had a point and often rallied with them. But now, I understand the mentality has been, and still is, NIMBY. Thinking about it, I live far enough from this land. Why should I care?

Fact is, this community has beem poorly developed for decades. Now it's simply a matter of let's not screw this up anymore than it has been already. New housing, of any type, is the best option for this much property. Maybe the tax money it would generate would help to pay for the sewer repairs that are needed.

I'd love to see a gated community go there. One that would eliminate everyone's access to the area near the creek. Hey, the Town could aslo sell Sunshine and Fireman's Parks, to make a larger gated community, and collect more taxes. I've rarely seen many people at either of these parks. Then we'll hear some bitching! (Tounge firmly planted in cheek, regarding parks)

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Your choice of words is good - I notice you say "burden," not "tax burden."

If it was all about taxes, then I suppose the best thing to do would be to rezone it to industrial use. That size land could support a massive industrial park. But, of course, the neighbors, understandably, wouldn't like that.

So, if you're talking strictly about "adding the least amount of burden to the residents of WS," then I suppose the best thing to do would to leave it fallow, and put up a big fence around.

Or, you could build a large residential subdivision, and those people would pay taxes. But, of course cost of the amount of kids they would put into the school system would outweigh the taxes they pay.

You could portion off a small bit of the land, and build senior housing. But, the people in WS have shown - several times - that they don't like the burden that those damn seniors put on the town.

Best thing to do would be to RFP it to developers, and see what comes of it.

What does the town's Master Plan say for this site? (Probably nothing because no one knew it would close.)

So, now would be a good time to update the Master Plan. And, they should ask DASNY to work with them, and hold off selling it, until they do so.

Quote Originally Posted by therising View Post
    If it was all about taxes, then I suppose the best thing to do would be to rezone it to industrial use. That size land could support a massive industrial park. But, of course, the neighbors, understandably, wouldn't like that.
    We already have an industrial park that has been poorly developed, with only a handful of businesses there.

So, if you're talking strictly about "adding the least amount of burden to the residents of WS," then I suppose the best thing to do would to leave it fallow, and put up a big fence around.
    Probably what they State will do.

Or, you could build a large residential subdivision, and those people would pay taxes. But, of course cost of the amount of kids they would put into the school system would outweigh the taxes they pay.
    Actually, I spoke with someone from the WS Schools, and the enrollment has been falling over the last couple of years. So the impact may not be so great.

You could portion off a small bit of the land, and build senior housing. But, the people in WS have shown - several times - that they don't like the burden that those damn seniors put on the town.
    This could be the perfect area for senior housing, more so than the Houghton College site. Better access to pull into traffic, larger area to provide better amenities. Still have the sewer issue to contend with however.

Best thing to do would be to RFP it to developers, and see what comes of it.
    That would be interesting. At least the meetings would be interesting to go to.

Thread Information