Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tax Hike vs. Service Cuts

Tax Hike vs. Service Cuts

I fully realize that I'm in the minority with my opinion on this, so I'm ready for the criticism.

BUT, it's often said that municipalities should be run as a business. If you've ever run a business you're aware of the phrase "cost benefit analysis". Think about what the cost of the 3/4 cent tax hike would have been to you. How much do you spend a month on taxable items? (clothing, food, entertainment, etc). I'm going to guess that, on the high side, maybe it's about $2000/month. That would be $24k/year. The tax hike then would've cost you about $180/year ($15/month or $0.50/day).

(of course this # goes way up if you make a major purchase, like buying a car).

Now think about how the cuts will effect you, and would you be willing to pay $180/year for them:

PARKS - personally, I use them. It's easy to still use them in the winter, but when the grass is 6 feet high? I'd pay $180/year to keep them open.

ROAD WORK - Road work is an investment in our future. We let this go and we're in trouble. I'd pay for it.

DMV - My time is worth something. I'd gladly pay in order to not have to spend a few extra hours on line (granted, most people only go to DMV every few years)

ZOO - personally, I don't use the zoo. But a lot of people do. I have no problem paying a few bucks a year to keep some kids happy.

HEALTH CLINICS - again, I dont use them. It doesn't effect me, but if you said "would you be willing to pay a few $ a year so poor people have somewhere to go when they're sick, I'd say "no problem". (If you have the "that's their problem attitude, think of the Billions we are currently spending to, allegedly free the people of Iraq).

2,000 LAYOFFS - Granted, our gov't is tremendously bloated, and cuts are necessary. But 2,000 people losing their jobs is a very real thing. How many of them will go on unemployment? How many will leave the area? From a pure financial perspective, we'll be paying for them in the long run anyway.

ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT - How can you convince new businesses to come to this area when you tell them "Oh yeah we are closing the parks, not fixing the roads, etc"

Giambra was playing chicken with us, no doubt. But the legislators fell for it. There had to have been a compromise that could've been reached.

As I said, I know I'm in the minority. Like George W. would say "Bring it on". Unlike our presdent, however, I'm willing to admit when I'm wrong. Prove Me Wrong, I'm willing to see the light if necessary.

PARKS - personally, I use them. It's easy to still use them in the winter, but when the grass is 6 feet high? I'd pay $180/year to keep them open.
    Put cows in the parks....no unions...free fertilizer and milk.
    The difference between taxes and robbery is the mode of coercion.

BTW...who knew a 10% reduction in revenue would equate to a 100% loss of "services"?

ZOO - personally, I don't use the zoo. But a lot of people do. I have no problem paying a few bucks a year to keep some kids happy.
    I'd pay to keep the zoo, if it meant the kids move in and the current inhabitants are freed.

I fully realize that I'm in the minority with my opinion on this, so I'm ready for the criticism.

I, myself, respect your opinions, even if they are different than mine... but your voice is just as important as anyone else's. :-)

I can't tell you when the last time I went to a county park was. I live in the city and use the parks there. On the other hand I know people who do go to County parks and I would probably feel the same if the park in my neighborhood was shut down like the county ones.

DMV - My time is worth something. I'd gladly pay in order to not have to spend a few extra hours on line (granted, most people only go to DMV every few years)

With the Internet being so widely available, there is a website for the DMV where people can do mostkly all of their DMV stuff from a computer. I have used the website to renew my ID and to put in a change of address. I haven't heard of any major complaints in doing it this way, most have said it saved a lot of time going online.

I go to the zoo once every few years, it still looks the same as when I was a kid. On the other hand, if the Zoo is faced with the threat of being shut down it won't because the County pulled back on funding. The County and other public giving is just 30% of the Zoo's operating budget, and the Zoo who generates 65% of their own funding would have to now take 100% responsibility (sp?) of their special interest... which I have no problem with. The Zoo is not funded 100% with County money.

HEALTH CLINICS - again, I dont use them. It doesn't effect me, but if you said "would you be willing to pay a few $ a year so poor people have somewhere to go when they're sick, I'd say "no problem".

This I agree with you on, one of the clicincs that is facing a closing is where some seniors I know go for medical treatment and health assistance. I am sure, cuts could have been made in other departments of County Hall moreover than shutting down these health institutions. The same with the van service that a lot of seniors use. On the other hand, I heard that the city of Buffalo may put in money like the outside municipalities do to get the van service up & running again for city residents.

Giambra was playing chicken with us, no doubt. But the legislators fell for it. There had to have been a compromise that could've been reached.

On the other hand, if the people would have just rolled over and played dead to the County Executive, we'd probably be paying 10 cents on a dollar for taxable purchases. There has to be a point where the people say "enough is enough". Besides, once all the necessary cuts have been made, can't some things can be put back?

Like George W. would say "Bring it on".

BTW- that was John Kerry who said "Bring it on" not George W.

Put cows in the parks....no unions...free fertilizer and milk.

LOL - and a couple of goats to take care of the high grass.

BTW...who knew a 10% reduction in revenue would equate to a 100% loss of "services"?

You are so right. And perhaps many people have just always assumed the money would still keep flowing like a river.

in many states you don't have to get a new license every Four years. (let's be honest: it is just an excuse to make you stand in line so that you can give them money). how about on-line services? and, how about getting rid of Inspections!!is there any other state that still has this program, which is really a gift to the mechanics Lobby?how about privatizing the whole dmv? other states do it? or allowing private-sector companies to open their own dm service centers and having the consumer pay a fee to use them?

perhaps you should question the premise of having to stand in line at all !!
    Data is not the plural of Anecdote.

Originally posted by Night Owl
    "...one of the clicincs that is facing a closing is where some seniors I know go for medical treatment and health assistance. I am sure, cuts could have been made in other departments of County Hall moreover than shutting down these health institutions. The same with the van service that a lot of seniors use.
    If seniors would just die like they’re supposed to we wouldn't have this Medicaid problem now.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Originally posted by NoCtUrNaL
    If seniors would just die like they’re supposed to we wouldn't have this Medicaid problem now.
    How morbid as that sounds think about it. If you are living an active life and healthly so be it. But then on the other hand you have people doing every possible remedy to fix thier aliments. I think it's more of uncontrolled price gouging at the expense of NYS citizens. THe health Unions/medical companies want NYS to pump more and more into health care seeing they benefit.

Personally, I measure my life by its quality not longevity.

I'd rather die at any age rather then live to 110 the last 30 of which is spent in wheelchair in soiled Depends.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Originally posted by NoCtUrNaL

You noticed that to?

I say they are just screwing us at the county level. They are picking the areas to cut which will damage the community the most. I guess that's why we need a county legislature that will grow a set of balls and truely go through the budget. If there's a favored political department that's over staffed you cut that. You don't cut items that have the most impact on the community.

I stil don't know why they don't force feed a paycut through the whole system. From 2% to 25% depending on your salary/bene package.

If you don't like what your getting paid go find another county in another state you can work for. Plain and simple.

Originally posted by Night Owl
    [B]

BTW- that was John Kerry who said "Bring it on" not George W.
    Not that it has a single thing to do with this thread, but Bush did say it:

USA TODAY 7/2/03
    WASHINGTON (AP) — President Bush said Wednesday that American troops under fire in Iraq aren't about to pull out, and he challenged those tempted to attack U.S. forces, "Bring them on"

(OK, so he said bring "them" on.....whatever)

Originally posted by Curmudgeon

perhaps you should question the premise of having to stand in line at all !!
    Curm, you have what i would normally call a heathy habit, of always questioning everything. Probelm is, you question things at the most inappropriate times.
    I could picture you bringing your car to the mechanic.
    Mechanic says you got a problem with the gas filter. You go into a dissertation about now we shouldnt be using fossil fuels, anyway. Meanwile, mechanic is nodding politely, and thinking to himself "shut up Mr. do you want the work done, or not?"

Curm, you have what i would normally call a heathy habit, of always questioning everything. Probelm is, you question things at the most inappropriate times.
    ny is i think the only state with an inspecions program
    . AND why Do You think we need this ???
    Data is not the plural of Anecdote.

ny is I think the only state with an inspecions program, And why Do you we need this ???
    Curm , you continue to amaze me , one ridiculous comment after another . I doubt very seriously whether NY is the only state that requires its citizens to be responsible and at least drive vehicles that are safe . Its called PUBLIC SAFETY if you haven't figured it out . Without inspections how many nitwits out there would be driving unsafe cars and trucks resulting in an avalanche of accidents . driving insurance rates and medical coverage even higher than they already are. You"d be safer driving in a NASCAR race.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information