Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: About Time the Burpee 2012 Catalog came in the mail

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Basic watering with General Hydroponic Nutrients

They had to be spread out so because they were growing a little too big for the trays....They are also under new lights made by Quantum.

lettuce

They are also under new lights made by Quantum Horticulture. Completely overkill. Why did I buy these? Because I submit content to other blogs which generates some cash. With that cash I can buy more toys.

Plus these lights cover the complete cabinet.

Assembled: 46.25 x 24 x 3.5. The previous lights were about 12" width versus 24".

Quantum T5 Badboy 8 bulb unit

SIZE, OUTPUT and PERFORMANCE have finally met birthing the Quantum T5 BadBoy! The T5 BadBoy produces color and light much closer to that of regular daylight than the leading competitors resulting in tighter internodal spacing, thicker stem-walls heartier foliage, and natural increases in extracts. All of these come together to create a much healthier plant while enhancing the natural characteristics of each specific plant.

How do we do it?

The Quantum Tri-phosphor bulbs are designed for optimum performance with the Fulham Race Horse ballast. These are tuned for max output with the Bad Boy. The BadBoy coupled with Fulham's latest and greatest Race Horse ballasts put out 28% more light than the competitions fixtures with the Work Horse 7 with NO additional power consumption!.

High Output optimized fixture for MAX bang for your buck!
    Unique folding structure for easy transportation
    Vented Ballasts and reflectors keep you gardens cool!
    Unique lamp spacing and provides more uniform light
    Glass coated aluminum reflectors provide deeper penetrating light!
    Multi-volt operation, 120v/240v right out of the box!

quantun t5 lighting

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    The great lettuce experiment is coming along.

Feb 5th

lettuce seedlings

Today. March 2nd

indoor lettuce

Watering is a piece of cake because the fiber pots are porous. The plants are going through just under 1/2 gallon of water a day. Trays get washed out every few days so they stay clean.

indoor lettuce

I'm pretty sure it's this type

http://www.produceoasis.com/Items_fo...ButterLet.html

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    The Nutritional Content of Butter Crunch Lettuce

Aug 19, 2011 | By Ellen Douglas

When it comes to lettuce, even nonexperts can predict the relative nutritional value of each type of salad green. In general, the darker the leaf of the lettuce, the more nutritious it is. As you might expect from its medium-green color, buttercrunch lettuce's health value is somewhere between pale, low-vitamin iceberg lettuce and the nutritional powerhouse of dark green Romaine salad greens.
    Description

Buttercrunch is a cultivar of butterhead lettuce. Butterheads form recognizable heads, as opposed to leafy varities like Simpson lettuce, though butterheads aren't as tightly formed as iceberg or Romaine lettuce. Along with buttercrunch, Bibb lettuce and Boston lettuce are also in the butterhead salad green family. The leaves of butterhead lettuces are small and medium green to pale green. Their soft texture inspired the lettuce group's common name, butterhead. In a mixed-green salad, buttercrunch's sweet taste contrasts well with the stronger flavors of a green such as Romaine.

Read the rest

Buttercrunch

Considered one of the top-quality Bibb-type varieties, this tender and delicious lettuce is tasty in salads.

Spacing: 8-12in (20-30cm)
    Exposure: Full Sun - 6+ hours direct sun
    Days to harvest: 65-70

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    A week or two and they should be ready

indoor lettuce

You can see the small roots growing through the coir pots. I'm still watering with General Hydroponic Nutrient full strength.

Coir pot roots lettuce

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    They finally got here

Burpee box

It was odd. Burpee didn't have these seeds in the burpee seed displays that are out not. I had to order them on their site. I also noticed the seed packs at the local stores are far less expensive than the catalog.

Burpee eco-friendly seed starting mix

This stuff is fine for starting seeds.

Burpee seed mix

You just mix it with water, it expands up to 8 quarts.... $2.49

Burpee seed starting mix

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Roasted Vegetables: A Simple Solution for “Salad, Again?”
    Posted on March 6, 2012 by Thrifty Happy Buffalo

As winter winds down, Western New Yorkers eagerly await the return of local produce and farmer’s markets . . . which are still a few months away. The current produce choices are slim and often bland, and most meals these days are accompanied by a bagged lettuce salad. How do we solve our winter whine, “Salad, again?” My simple solution: roasted vegetables. A drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt transforms ordinary vegetables into a culinary experience.

http://thriftyhappybuffalo.com/archives/70

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Speaking of salads...

Starting to grow faster.....

Lettuce

Grren lettuce

I noticed that the burpee were far less at lowes then their catalog. They all had a different name but you could tell based off their picture. Almost 60 percent cheaper in the store. This will be my first year doing my own garden and starting out with seeds. I quess i started early, i received some bad info as far as i was told. I was told to start planting by the end of april and a buddy told me later that i should wait until mid may.. I went with the bad info and started some of my seeds already.. Hoping it will work out, i may just transplant into a bigger pot untill the weather holds.. I just put the seeds in four days ago but i guess i shoulda waited until mid april to start?? We will see!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Look at the difference soil makes. I used 100% burpee seed starting mix (left) and 50%/50% burpee seed starting mix/Fox Farm soil (right). Same time frame, same lighting and same seed type. The seedlings on the right are easily twice the size compared to the seedlings to the left. I didn't think I would see that much of a difference.

Seedlings

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    And I have one brick of this left if anyone would like to use it.

Burpee seed mix

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by geo_wny View Post
    I noticed that the burpee were far less at lowes then their catalog. They all had a different name but you could tell based off their picture. Almost 60 percent cheaper in the store. This will be my first year doing my own garden and starting out with seeds. I quess i started early, i received some bad info as far as i was told. I was told to start planting by the end of april and a buddy told me later that i should wait until mid may.. I went with the bad info and started some of my seeds already.. Hoping it will work out, i may just transplant into a bigger pot untill the weather holds.. I just put the seeds in four days ago but i guess i shoulda waited until mid april to start?? We will see!
    Noticed the same issue with home depot. The seeds were the same but less expensive. I ordered 2 packs of seeds from the catalog because they weren't available at home depot.

I bought organic seed starting soil. Almost all my seeds have sprouted, my corn is about 4 inches tall now and those were planted 4 days ago, all my brocolli has sprouted, my zuke are coming in, carrots areslow but they are all sprouting. No grow lights, they were outside on the blacktop driveway when it was nice out, i do have a heat mat.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plant.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	3697

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I only had one good year with broccoli. Most of the time it bolted on me before it was ready.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    100% Burpee's Seed Medium 50/50 Soil and Burpee's
    Cosmos cosmos

The seedings are doing much better on the right..

What are you growing in the split pictures?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information