Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joel, lead by example...

Joel, lead by example...

Joel expects concessions from the Unions...Mr Giambra, would you be willing to take a 10% pay cut ? "Absolutely not." So it would be good for the workers to take a pay cut, but bad for you and your management appointees... It is so apparent where this guy is coming from. He's keeping his boy employed as Deputy Parks Commissioner, while closing the parks ??? Because it is a mandated position in the County charter. And this guy wonders why he can't get any cooperation from the workforce. Joel, lead by example....give it a try, nothing else you have done has been successful.

moonshine
    If memory serves, Joel was demanding a hefty pay increase just a few short months ago.

Joel says he was through with "symbolic" things like taking pay cuts or eliminating some of his patronage jobs . . . etc., etc.

Personally I would put this type of activity under 'leadership'. As the Marine saying goes : "if you can't lead, get the hell out of the way".
    It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required. (Sir Winston Churchill)

Cut the top exec's pay?

A billion dollar budget shouldnt be trusted with a hundred thousand dollar man. And Joel isnt even worth forty thousand, much less a hundred.

Its not the salary thats the problem.

I would like to see the top exec's pay increased to $250,000 and attract a real manager for a change. It seems we only attract the entry level types to do a man's job. And it costs us dearly.

thats a good idea, boost. Make it $175k w/a 75k bonus at the end of the fiscal year if a surplus is made and our taxes become more comepetitive to the rest of the country.

Originally posted by Boost Buffalo
    I would like to see the top exec's pay increased to $250,000 and attract a real manager for a change. It seems we only attract the entry level types to do a man's job. And it costs us dearly.
    I agree. I think politicians are under-paid.
    If they made more $, maybe we could attract the cream of the crop.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Originally posted by Boost Buffalo
    Cut the top exec's pay?

A billion dollar budget shouldnt be trusted with a hundred thousand dollar man. And Joel isnt even worth forty thousand, much less a hundred.

Its not the salary thats the problem.
    cut joels pay, not the positions pay. Let the pay go to what it is for the next one elected.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Originally posted by IsOurGov.Dum
    thats a good idea, boost. Make it $175k w/a 75k bonus at the end of the fiscal year if a surplus is made and our taxes become more comepetitive to the rest of the country.
    See now your talking.. Some accountability. They let themselves get paid the same amount wether they do a crappy job or not.

I've said that here several times before.

The union types attack management compensation intentionally. The purpose is to guarantee ineffective management so that they can advance their own agenda.

Hey, who likes being managed? I know I don't. But that's a fact of life.

I suggested the Bflo business community start a charity whos purpose is to supplement the salaries of elected officials so that talented and effective people run for office, and not washed-up basketball players and laborers union members. Somebody with an MBA, for instance.
    Data is not the plural of Anecdote.

The Primary Challange is looking for people to run.

moonshine
    Somebody with an MBA, for instance
    Having an MBA, I can assure you that most people with an MBA are the bottom of the intellectual barrel. I'm not kidding. Some of the people being issued MBA's nowadays reached their intellectual peak in 3rd grade.

I must say that I am perplexed at the idea of paying MORE money for a politician. Shouldn't we be going the opposite direction? The person will still be political and held accountable by those who put him there (not the taxpayers). In Viagara County the legislature hires the county "manager", but he is still a political creature. If he didn't play the game he wouldn't get hired!

Someone threw out $250,000 as a good number to pay a county exec. Why not make it 1 billion? Maybe we could get Warren Buffet (or Jimmy Buffet) to take the job. Tell me, would Erie county be in any better shape if Warren or Jimmy Buffet was county exec? I doubt it. It would still be a political job with political winners and losers.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    talented and effective people run for office, and not washed-up basketball players and laborers union members. Somebody with an MBA, for instance.

You know Curm makes a very valid point. Just look around at the people we have on town governments/county government and think about his comment.

Does anyone really know what is involved in the job descprtion of the county executive?

Why not make the salary incentive laden?

Provide the greatest amount of services using the least amount of money and a bonus kicks in.

Provide the same or greater amount of services then your predecessor and lower taxes in the process and another bonus kicks in.
    The difference between taxes and robbery is the mode of coercion.

I must say that I am perplexed at the idea of paying MORE money for a politician. Shouldn't we be going the opposite direction?
    if you had the position paying $350,000 a year, you'd get professional management people with experience applying for the job by running for office. why is it people want the guy who manages a billion dollar organization to make less than the people who work for him? pay More money and maybe you'll get Something besides useless politicians.
    Data is not the plural of Anecdote.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information