Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Joel, lead by example...

Way too hypothetical

Under the current Party Chairman system, increasing the salary would only make them entrench "their guy" into that position. Going with a County Manager, who didn't get the patronage jobs, aside from his own personal staff, would be a better way to get a qualified canadate. Politico's would not be interested in that position. It would demand accountablility. Joel demonstrated how patronage can take it's toll on the County.

The money means very little. A crooked professional manager making big money is just as bad as a crooked MBA. What would happen if the Rigas's ran the show, Dennis Koslowski, etc. CROOKED is CROOKED is CROOKED. The key is ACCOUNTABILITY and oversight.
    How does using county equipment for personal gain go on, and on, and on, so long before it's finally caught. Who's watching? Why is it let go so long, and get way out of hand, before it's considered a major screw up to be delt with. The rules are bent EVERYWHERE. It's a matter of WHO wants to finally blow the whistle after the sh** really hits the fan. WHO IS WATCHING and NOT SAYING ANYTHING? If Giambra was in the process of purchasing, and or did purchase an entire fleet of high end SUV's why wasn't it brought up and questioned?

"NO ACOUNTABILITY"

why is it that people want a guy who manages a billion dollar organization to make less than the people who work for him ?
    I don't know curm , maybe you do. When he ran you didn't care what he made or anyone else made for that matter . All you cared about was that tax cut he promised. His tax cut and his master strategy, whatever the hell that was. I don't think even he has figured it out yet.The unions want to guarantee ineffective management by executives so this fiasco like we have now happens , layoffs occur and the unions lose 2000 dues paying members ? Run that by me a few more times , it will still sound assolutely ridiculous as the firs time. What scares me is you are really serious. Good management leads to stable times and stable budgets which inturns leads to a stable environment for the work force , God forbid even raise in good times . Your point is absolutely absurd.

Its utter foolishness (and ignorance, no offense) to suggest an MBA is worthless, and to suggest that the job of the county's top exec, managing a billion dollar+ cash stream and thousands of employees etc, doesnt warrant a candidate with higher education.

Executives of this level are paid way beyond $250,000/annual, and their credentials exist.

What do county executives in successful environments make? What are their credentials? Anybody know? Like the guy who runs Cuyahoga County in Ohio, what does he earn? What does his staff cost? What does his legislature look like? etc...

That would be an interesting study.

To have someone with a MBA would be nice , I'd settle for someone with at least some good educational backgrounds other than a MBA. But to me the individual and his personal character and qualities would matter more. The newspapers have been full of stories the last 3 years of many CEO's making all the money in the world with exceptional backgrounds runnung their respective companies into the ground or engaging in outright fraud of the public and their own stockholders. Enron comes to mind , there are many others .

moonshine
    Its utter foolishness (and ignorance, no offense) to suggest an MBA is worthless
    Who suggested it is is worthless?

There are a few inherent problems with politics. One is that the low pay means that there are only 2 reasons why anyone would run for office:
    1) For altruistic reasons, i.e. to really improve the community
    or
    2) Power

I'm not naive enough to believe that there are many politicians out there who do it for # 1.

So, what we wind up with is a bunch of power-hungry morons. Not exactly the type of guy I'd want to trust with my children's future.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information