Thread: Town council race

Town council race

Lee Chowaniec’s Speak-up front page article-
    Scime is first to respond to writer’s request
    http://www.speakupwny.com/article_3793.shtml
    Mr Chowaniec noted that he has not received a response from John Abraham yet
    These are some of the issues (from the article) that Mr Chowaniec asked the candidates to address:

Spending and mismanagement
    · Colecraft building
    · Vacated Depew library
    · Purchase of Tahoe SUV

Health care buyouts by elected town officials

State grant application and use (bell)

New Town Attorney Position (Cost analysis for effectiveness?)

Traffic and traffic safety (Access Management Ordinance)

Take home vehicles for town officials and employees

IDA’S regarding their necessity, obligation and enforcement (claw-back provisions)

Master plan and number of rezone approvals issued

Addition of police officers in town and in the Middle School schools to combat drug issues (benchmarking and effectiveness of programs)

From the Scime letter:
    Some of the issues I will be addressing in this campaign are the high taxes and how we can hold the line, sale of Depew Library, cutting our losses on the ill-conceived purchase of the Colecraft building and returning it to the tax rolls, and ending costly insurance buyouts for elected officials.

Insurance buyouts have cost Lancaster taxpayers over $150,000 since 1996. My opponent in this race currently receives a taxpayer-funded teacher’s salary along with health insurance, a taxpayer-funded town salary as a councilman and then receives a buyout option for declining the town provided health insurance
    Scime’s letter was also in the Lancaster Bee along with a letter from John Abraham. Abraham’s letter was just a "thank you" to the voters. No issues were addressed.
    The only stance on the issues by Abraham, that I’m aware of is that he is okay with his health care buyout. Since he has not offered his opinion on any of the other issues, I guess he’s just another "stepford wife" that is satisfied to maintain the status quo.
    If you give a damn,
    Don't vote Abraham
    It's time
    for Scime.

Georgia L Schlager

gorja wrote:

Contacted Lancaster Councilman John Abraham and he will be sending something in to SUWNY sometime in the near future.

His response will be welcomed by 'blanks" like myself.

The fact that Abraham is in the bed with the slime balls from the Lancaster Dems. that have been screwing the taxpayers for years, means nothing to me. Abraham who is writing the material(?) and due too your actions over the last several months on the board and NEVER stool up to the king and the goons you work with shows me your just one of them. Yes, you voted against Giza ONCE on a meaningless subject doesn't count. Your daddy will help you lie, he has been BS people for years and your stepping into his shoes, nicely. It doesn't change at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec
    gorja wrote:

Contacted Lancaster Councilman John Abraham and he will be sending something in to SUWNY sometime in the near future.

His response will be welcomed by 'blanks" like myself.
    Still waiting for a response from Abraham. One week and counting.

Looks like the response score is

Scime 2
    Abraham 0

With 5 weeks to go.

Georgia L Schlager

I wouldn't hold your breath, waiting for Abraham. Just like the rest of the Lancaster Dem clique (now the Lancaster ConservaDem clique), they don't like to address anything to the public. He seems to fit in very well.

"I have some of the more experienced people in the legislature working for me. That's why my monetary situation is different." - State Senator Dale Volker when asked about cutting his office expenses.

"It's a perfect example of you need to get out and vote because all your votes count".
    Mark Montour- Democratic, Republican, Independence, Conservative and Working Families parties candidate for Lancaster Town Justice

"I don't think it was luck" -Donna Stempniak, unopposed candidate for Lancaster Town Council on winning re-election.

“What these towns are about to do, if they have their way, is kill the goose that laid the golden egg” -Victor Martucci, vice president of Marrano Marc/Equity in response to local towns opposing the 339-y condo law.

Scime is beginning to get street recognition and has been present at town board meetings in the past several months.

Unlike Abraham, she is hearing the town isn't in as rosy a shape or well thought of as Abraham is making it out to be.

Had she the funds behind her as Abraham does and got her word out, I believe she would kick Abraham's butt despite the big advantage he has there and in the fact that Lancaster has half as many more registered Democrats than Republicans.

Abraham is supposed to be teaching good government classes, right? Sometimes I find that oxymoronic!

Originally Posted by pudge

Scime is beginning to get street recognition and has been present at town board meetings in the past several months.

Unlike Abraham, she is hearing the town isn't in as rosy a shape or well thought of as Abraham is making it out to be.
    Way to go pudge, that's probably enough to get Scime one of the Dem mailers from Lil' Ronnie's place that says that Scime will eat your children.

"I have some of the more experienced people in the legislature working for me. That's why my monetary situation is different." - State Senator Dale "Mr. Pickle" Volker when asked about cutting his office expenses.

"It's a perfect example of you need to get out and vote because all your votes count".
    Mark Montour- Democratic, Republican, Independence, Conservative and Working Families parties candidate for Lancaster Town Justice

"I don't think it was luck" -Donna Stempniak, unopposed candidate for Lancaster Town Council on winning re-election.

“What these towns are about to do, if they have their way, is kill the goose that laid the golden egg” -Victor Martucci, vice president of Marrano Marc/Equity in response to local towns opposing the 339-y condo law.

[QUOTE=Foot Fungus;396343]Way to go pudge, that's probably enough to get Scime one of the Dem mailers from Lil' Ronnie's place that says that Scime will eat your children.

Hey Foot, funny you should mention Giza Jr. Have been hearing he and McCracken had a falling out over the scurlious mailer that was distributed with Ron's return address on it. The first two tamer mailers had McCracken and Ruffino return addresses on them.

Ron took a lot of heat for that nasty tirade and was teed off because the mailer was written by and approved by the committee. For now, "Ron has left the room."

The Democratic committee in Lancaster needs to be fumigated. How can Abraham join himself to their hips? He has not disassociated himself from the herd and should be purged in November.

Yeah, I've also heard there's a new crack in the Lungcancer Democratic machine's butt padding.

Here's my take. Baby Ronny isn't going to just go away. The little geezer will spread his baby-fat butt cheeks over that little clown mini-motorbike he illegally drives through his neighborhood, round up his flock of sheep, and stampede them right up the McKracken's crack.

A chink in the machines armor could work to the residents advantage. Maybe, just maybe, we will have the opportunity to change the face of the town board. But we have to take advantage of the situation by promoting and supporting candidates who will work for the residents.
    The town board creates the problems and when the residents complain, the town board tells them it's the resident's fault.

Originally Posted by pudge

Hey Foot, funny you should mention Giza Jr. Have been hearing he and McCracken had a falling out over the scurlious mailer that was distributed with Ron's return address on it. The first two tamer mailers had McCracken and Ruffino return addresses on them.

Ron took a lot of heat for that nasty tirade and was teed off because the mailer was written by and approved by the committee. For now, "Ron has left the room."
    Inbred love is a bitch, ain't it?

"I have some of the more experienced people in the legislature working for me. That's why my monetary situation is different." - State Senator Dale "Mr. Pickle" Volker when asked about cutting his office expenses.

There is an interesting article in the Buffalo News on the town council race. It is written by the well-informed Irene Liguori, titled Abraham, Scime pursue low-key, door-to-door Lancaster race. http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregio...ry/475470.html

Considering politics in Lancaster, the race is low-key. Usually the Demoncrats adopt Repubican tactics and smear the bejesus out of their challengers. The Demoncrats started out doing this, but suddenly and inexplicably stopped.

I'm wondering if this is because there is an underlying respect between the candidates because their working backgrounds are so similar?

Or, is it because the rift in the Demoncratic party between the junior Geezer and the McKracken is a serious factor?

I'm hoping it's the former, but I'm skeptical.
    The town board creates the problems and when the residents complain, the town board tells them it's the resident's fault.

Just received the first mailer from John Abraham. As correspondence was provided by Republican Marianne Scime, it's only fair to let people know about the Democrat side of the race. From the mailer:

Supports youth:

-As a Lancaster High School teacher for the past 10 years John Abraham knows the importance of providing quality parks & recreational programs for our youth.

-John Abraham recognizes the need to build a new soccer & lacrosse complex to handle the growing needs of our youth leagues.

-John Abraham sponsored a resolution asking NYS to ban texting while driving.

-John Abrahan supports an expanded SRO program at Lancaster High School and Middle School

Supports family:

-The new Heritage Trail, to be completed summer 2009, running from the village to Town Line Road will provide a new no cost family recreational opportunity.

-John Abraham supports the building of a new band shell for the Lancaster Town Band

Supports tax relief

-Increased the number of senior citizens eligible for the senior citizen exemption by changing income limits.

-Expanded tax exemptions for persons with disabilities.

-Working to expand property tax exemptions for Cold War veterans and expanding programs at our senior center.

Supports community services

-Working with the Town Board on a Transit Road Access Management Plan in conjunction with the Town Of Cheektowaga.

-Expanded police protection through creation of a narcotics unit.

-Working with the railroads to make needed repairs to viaducts along Transit Road.

-Working to provide fair property tax assessments in Lancaster.

-Working to provide great parks throughout our town.

So there it is. I'm going to reserve my comments, let's see what others might have to say. I have a strong feeling that some people on this board might have some opinions here.

[QUOTE=Foot Fungus;402994]Just received the first mailer from John Abraham. As correspondence was provided by Republican Marianne Scime, it's only fair to let people know about the Democrat side of the race. From the mailer:

Supports youth:

-As a Lancaster High School teacher for the past 10 years John Abraham knows the importance of providing quality parks & recreational programs for our youth.

We all support this. What has Abraham done in particular to enhance our parks and recreational programs, or should I be asking Parks and Recreation Director McCracken that question – his Democratic Party boss.

-John Abraham recognizes the need to build a new soccer & lacrosse complex to handle the growing needs of our youth leagues.

Growing needs? A lot of our seniors and low-income families can’t afford higher taxes. They have needs also, like meds, a roof over their heads, etc.

-John Abraham sponsored a resolution asking NYS to ban texting while driving.

He, as many other municipal councils did, sponsored a resolution to memorialize Albany on passing a law on something as stupid as text messaging while driving. His mailer makes it sound like he personally legislated this common sense law - which will be violated by the boneheads anyway.

-John Abrahan supports an expanded SRO program at Lancaster High School and Middle School

Abraham wasn’t even on the board when the SRO program was extended to the Middle School. BS to the max!
    Supports family:

-The new Heritage Trail, to be completed summer 2009, running from the village to Town Line Road will provide a new no cost family recreational opportunity.

He supports this as we all do. Once again Abraham wasn’t in office when the trail project was approved. More BS to the max!

-John Abraham supports the building of a new band shell for the Lancaster Town Band.

Again, so do many of us. Did he also support the TOPS donation of $125,000 for the band shell in lieu of their receiving tens of millions in IDA approval? Yes he did!

Supports tax relief

-Increased the number of senior citizens eligible for the senior citizen exemption by changing income limits.

Abraham made this happen? All by himself? Come now!

-Expanded tax exemptions for persons with disabilities.

Abraham made this happen? Come now!

-Working to expand property tax exemptions for Cold War veterans and expanding programs at our senior center.

So is every other board member and with the support of the residents. Come now!

Supports community services

-Working with the Town Board on a Transit Road Access Management Plan in conjunction with the Town Of Cheektowaga.

The only time I seen Abraham directly involved with this process is when he attended a joint Access Management meeting with the Town of Cheektowaga. His input otherwise has been nil.

-Expanded police protection through creation of a narcotics unit.

Again, he wasn’t on the Town Board when the narcotic’s unit was approved and funded.

-Working with the railroads to make needed repairs to viaducts along Transit Road.

So is the Village of Depew and no progress has been made.

-Working to provide fair property tax assessments in Lancaster.

Just how is John-Boy doing this? Listening to Assessor Maranno and supporting his programs?

-Working to provide great parks throughout our town.

How’s he doing this?

Considering the malicious crap that was put out during the primary, this mailer was positive and upbeat, but lacking substance.

There is a public hearing on the budget Monday night. Abraham has mentioned in the past that he has been told by his constituents that all is well in town regarding the taxes that are paid for the services provided. He is also comfortable with part time town employees receiving health insurance buyouts and the town in using grant monies for clocks, bells and band shells. A fiscal watchdog he is not!

The mailer from Marianne Scime for comparison to the John Abraham mailer:

My name is Marianne Scime and I am running for a seat on the Town Board in this November's election so that Lancaster residents receive bipartisan representation. Currently, all Town Board members are of the same political party which means that "hot topics" are not discussed. There are no checks and balances with one-party rule. For example, were you aware of the following:

-The 2009 tentative budget for the Town of Lancaster includes ANOTHER 3% rasie for elected officials and a 3.42% tax increase for the town.

-If an elected official declines health insurance, he or she is compensated with half the cost of the annual premium. This has cost the taxpayers $150,000 since 1996.

-The Town Board purchased the former Colecraft furniture plant at 3949 Walden Avenue for 1.85 million which was intended to be the new home for the Lancaster Police Department. Although still essentially vacant, the town pays $90,000 every year in debt service, as well as utility costs.

-The Town Supervisor purchased a new $27,000 SUV earlier this year without a town resolution authorizing the purchase.

As taxpayers, we have a right to know how our money is being spent. I want to run a more open government which represents all of our community and not just those with political ties. I hve been a resident of the Town of Lancaster for 22 years and believe government can be run more efficiently. Working with my husband in C-ME Marine Sales for almost 30 years, I have invaluable business experience that I will bring to the Town Board. During toug economic times, the solution is to reduce spending-not raise taxes. The town has to learn how to do more with less.

I would be honored to serve the residents of Lancaster and respectfully request your vote on November 4th. Let's bring integrity back to town Government.

Thank you-Marianne Scime

Compare away.

Thread Information