View Poll Results: How many people should sit on the Town Board?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stay with three

    3 23.08%
  • Go back to five

    10 76.92%
  • Wait and see what this Board does?

    0 0%
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: West Seneca Town Board Three vs. Five

  1. #1
    Member Psycho1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,017

    West Seneca Town Board Three vs. Five

    Now that the grand experiment has completed a four year term, do you think it was a good idea to downsize the Town Board?

    Let me be the first to say, I was not in favor of the idea from the start, and expressed my concerns to Mr. Gaughn, and in this forum. Too many times we've seen 2 to 1 votes on non-routine items, with not much discussion about the topic. Members must use the Town Attorney to communicate with each other, which stalls the process and may water down the information. And, with only three members, I don't feel there is enough input, or thought, given to all sides of a matter before the Board.
    I'd rather be hated for who I am... than loved for who I'm not!

  2. #2
    Member mikenold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    7,594
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho1 View Post
    Now that the grand experiment has completed a four year term, do you think it was a good idea to downsize the Town Board?

    Let me be the first to say, I was not in favor of the idea from the start, and expressed my concerns to Mr. Gaughn, and in this forum. Too many times we've seen 2 to 1 votes on non-routine items, with not much discussion about the topic. Members must use the Town Attorney to communicate with each other, which stalls the process and may water down the information. And, with only three members, I don't feel there is enough input, or thought, given to all sides of a matter before the Board.
    Any time any two of them talk they could be in violation of open meeting laws as they would have a quorum!
    **free is a trademark of the current U.S. government.

  3. #3
    Member Psycho1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,017
    Quote Originally Posted by mikenold View Post
    Any time any two of them talk they could be in violation of open meeting laws as they would have a quorum!
    Exactly! That's where, I feel, the process is slowed down. If the Supervisor needs to discuss a particular issue with the Councilperson, who sits on a committee, they can't address the matter directly.

    The matter of pensions and benefits, for the TB members, was mentioned at the last TB meeting when this topic was brought up. There is a simple solution, adopt a resolution stating Council members do not receive these benefits. Is there a law the requires the Town to provide these? Or, is it simply a perk no one wants to discuss?
    I'd rather be hated for who I am... than loved for who I'm not!

  4. #4
    Member mikenold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    7,594
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho1 View Post
    Exactly! That's where, I feel, the process is slowed down. If the Supervisor needs to discuss a particular issue with the Councilperson, who sits on a committee, they can't address the matter directly.

    The matter of pensions and benefits, for the TB members, was mentioned at the last TB meeting when this topic was brought up. There is a simple solution, adopt a resolution stating Council members do not receive these benefits. Is there a law the requires the Town to provide these? Or, is it simply a perk no one wants to discuss?
    It is a perk that no one seems to want to let go! No municipality should offer health care to any part time employee period! This is a terrible way to waste taxpayers money. I do, however, think that there are equitable ways to allow those with state or county service to get some credit to pension due to their service to the municipality.

    Having said that, I am of the opinion that elected positions should not be a way for an individual to make a living but rather an opportunity to serve the taxpaying community. As soon as the position becomes income focus shifts from the taxpayer to keeping the job.
    **free is a trademark of the current U.S. government.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    112
    After the corruption and violating the law.... the board needs to be returned to some accountability.
    Last edited by Orchardpark; December 26th, 2011 at 07:20 PM. Reason: spelling

  6. #6
    Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Posts
    63,491
    My humble useless opinion, I would say 5 humans on a town board is fine. 3 seems slim.

  7. #7
    Member Psycho1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,017
    Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    My humble useless opinion, I would say 5 humans on a town board is fine. 3 seems slim.
    I have to agree. A five member board is much more efficient, and offers greater insight to issues. The whole process was handled poorly from the start, and became more of an emotional issue than anything else.
    I'd rather be hated for who I am... than loved for who I'm not!

  8. #8
    Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Posts
    63,491
    If two people on the town board are easily led around that would be not be very good. Specially if it's a three person board.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,538
    Quote Originally Posted by mikenold View Post
    It is a perk that no one seems to want to let go! No municipality should offer health care to any part time employee period! This is a terrible way to waste taxpayers money. I do, however, think that there are equitable ways to allow those with state or county service to get some credit to pension due to their service to the municipality.

    Having said that, I am of the opinion that elected positions should not be a way for an individual to make a living but rather an opportunity to serve the taxpaying community. As soon as the position becomes income focus shifts from the taxpayer to keeping the job.
    Nicely put Mikenold. I also believe it is an opportunity to serve the public not make it a way of life. I also feel term limits should be "considered."*

    Disclaimer: *Simply an opinion

  10. #10
    Member Psycho1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,017
    Term limits are one of those "Catch 22" situations. While attractive, when you have incompetent, or abusive, individuals in public office, it can limit those who actually prove to be an assest. If we elected a Supervisor and Board that cut our taxes consistantly, brought in business that contributed to our tax base, and was able to offer unlimited public programs at no additional cost to us, we wouldn't want them to leave office.

    So, this is where our election system comes into play. The voters have the opportunity to vote out of office anyone they feel is no longer viable in the position. Unfortunately, apathetic voters and special interests play a big role in the re-election of many in public office. Those with an agenda that is backed by even the most incompetent official, will step up to the plate to insure their needs are met, regardless of the ramifications on the rest of the community, and elect that person. This is true in our little town. Whether it's the seniors, town workers, sports parents, or whatever, find the largest group, promise them what they want, and stay in office, because the majority of the voters don't really care. Just look at the percentage of people who voted in the last election, 40%. The real majority sat home on election day. I wish there were a way to know if someone voted whenever they complain about anything in this Town. You don't vote, you can't bitch.

    And yes, I voted!
    I'd rather be hated for who I am... than loved for who I'm not!

  11. #11
    Member Linda_D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    God's Own Country ... the Southern Tier
    Posts
    8,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho1 View Post
    Now that the grand experiment has completed a four year term, do you think it was a good idea to downsize the Town Board?

    Let me be the first to say, I was not in favor of the idea from the start, and expressed my concerns to Mr. Gaughn, and in this forum. Too many times we've seen 2 to 1 votes on non-routine items, with not much discussion about the topic. Members must use the Town Attorney to communicate with each other, which stalls the process and may water down the information. And, with only three members, I don't feel there is enough input, or thought, given to all sides of a matter before the Board.
    So, how much did your town taxes decrease over the last four years?

    That's the snake oil that Gaughan sells but it's unlikely that you saw much decrease. After his "success" at conning some towns to cut their town boards, he moved on to trying to con villages into unincorporating. We'll have to wait awhile to see how much taxes shrink in the former villages, but it's again probably not anywhere near as much as the fools who voted for this con expect, especially since former village residents will still be paying for their services and debt, just not having any say in them.

    Gaughan is nothing but an anti-democratic oligarch who thinks that only well-to-do, well-educated people like himself and his friends should run things.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Mr. Gaughan, there are bigger fish to fry than the West Seneca Town Board
    By speakup in forum Morning Breakfast - Breaking News
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: June 1st, 2009, 09:04 AM
  2. Town of West Seneca, get ready for a new ice rink
    By wnyfuture in forum West Seneca Politics
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: April 7th, 2009, 10:26 PM
  3. Citizens Forum on proposal to reduce the West Seneca Town Board
    By dtwarren in forum West Seneca Politics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: October 22nd, 2008, 07:08 AM
  4. Citizens Forum on proposal to reduce the West Seneca Town Board
    By WNYresident in forum Morning Breakfast - Breaking News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: October 21st, 2008, 02:20 PM
  5. West Seneca's Town Budget
    By dtwarren in forum West Seneca Politics
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: April 2nd, 2008, 09:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •