Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Supervisor Giza lauded at last Town Board meeting

Supervisor Giza lauded at last Town Board meeting

Officiating his last Lancaster Town Board meeting, Supervisor Robert Giza was honored by family, longtime friends and elected officials. Giza served 14 years as a council member and another 16 as the Town Supervisor. Giza acknowledged missing only 1 meeting out of 720 over that length of time.

Emotionally opening the meeting, Supervisor Giza acknowledged recognizing several of the attendees as former members of the Boys Club that he had mentored and acted in some way as a father away from home. “Hopefully, a little of me rubbed off on them.”

Supervisor Giza proceeded to read the following written statement:

“The last couple of weeks have been very difficult for me. My wife Caroline has been at my side for 54 years. I want to thank her for her support and love. We met over 60 years ago in high school. It was love at first sight. You probably couldn’t have written a better story book love affair. So I thank her for being at my side all these years; especially at these tough times. Together we raised three wonderful children that produced six lovely grandchildren.”

“My office staff was always there for me, in the last 16 years I seved as Supervisor. I want to thank them and wish them well. They made me look good for 16 years. The town has the greatest employees and they serve us well, and many volunteers.”

“I did a little research and found that I was the longest serving town board member in the history of the town. I have been on the board 30 years. But I have been Supervisor for only 16 of the 30 years. Stan Keysa senior was actually the longest serving Supervisor at 23 years, some of it part time. I tried to beat him out but I didn’t make it.”

“Some ask how I made it this long. My answer to them is love for our town as resident and the help I provided over my many years of government service. I intend to spend more time with my family and at the Senior Center. I’m glad I put the building in there as I am going to use it myself. I’ll say my good bye and God bless everybody.”

Before closing, Supervisor Giza spoke on each member of the family and what they were currently doing with their lives.

He then declared: “Before I go on, the only person I want to judge me is God Himself. He knows what I have done and what I didn’t do. Some people right here have complaints, but you know, it’s really hard on the family. Somewhere down the line politicians should get together and agree to agree, because you have a family out there. And when your family is nice, as most families are, they don’t want to read things in the paper about their families; or on the Internet. It hurts the family and what you are really doing is keeping good people away from running for office because they don’t want to drag their families through things because of the nastiness of how politics gets. I would hope that somewhere down the line politicians would stick only to the issues. And it’s not always the politicians; sometimes it’s the people behind them that encourage the nastiness.”

Tributes to Supervisor Giza

During the work session Don Kwak, former Town Board member and Supervisor Giza exchanged stories over the years when they served on same Town Boards as Council Members.

Council Member John Abraham: Thanked Giza for his 30 years of service. “In that time in office you left a very large imprint on this community, whether it would be Westwood Park, the Youth Bureau, the Senior Center, or the Trail.”

Town Clerk Johanna Coleman: “I have worked with Bob for 25 years and Bob wonders what his legacy is going to be. Bob will be loved for being a gentleman and someone who was very devoted to the community.”

Council Member Ron Ruffino: “Bob, you always call me your right hand man, but I learned a lot through the years and I have been there for you and with you whenever needed. I know of his dedication and the number of hours he put in on the job. He was always out there for the people.”

Council Member Donna Stempniak: “I will miss his stories. He would tell stories of helping the people no matter how small the problem was. A lady called him saying she had no water pressure coming from her backyard hose. She later called to say everything was okay, that there had been a kink in the hose. He is a compassionate man and we will miss that. Dino (Fudoli) has some big shoes to fill, and I wish you luck with that.”

At the public comment session

Megan Burns, Executive Director of the Chamber of Commerce: Presented a gift to Supervisor Giza and said he will be missed by all the Chamber of Commerce directors.

Marcia Cox, president of the White Collar CSEA union: “As president of the CSEA, and my members who are also fellow taxpayers, we take this opportunity to wish you well in the future. It has been a pleasure working with you.”

Robert McPeak, Office of Emergency Management Director: Thanked Supervisor Giza for all his past support and in helping make Western New York second best in the nation in being recognized for emergency preparedness. The towns and villages have worked together to achieve such success.

Village of Lancaster Mayor William Cansdale, Trustee Ken O’Brien and Trustee Paul Maute lauded Supervisor Giza on past days spent at the Boy’s Club, the influence he had on them and with the close personal and political relationships developed over the years. “You were like a father to us,” all three remarked individually. Mayor Cansdale declared that what he was most proud of was the accomplishments they achieved working together. Mayor Cansdale cited as the most rewarding experience was in getting the town and police forces merged; “a most difficult task,” he commented.

John Trojanowski, Director of Youth Bureau: “I was one of those lucky people who had the utmost respect for you because of the Boys and Girls Club. You gave joy every day to my family. We just think the world of you. You were one of the founders of the Youth Bureau and it’s been around for 41 years.

Bob Giza Jr.: Reminisced on growing up in the family and helping dad in his political campaigns. Spoke Talked fondly about the magical days in the early days of the Boys Club.

Joe Maciejewski, Erie County Director of Real Property Service: “When those before me said that you were a father away from home, this is a testament to you. I grew up in a single family home, my mother, brother and I. If it wasn’t for the Boys Club, and specifically you, I don’t know how things would have worked out. I want to thank you for the man I am today, the father I am today to my two children, the husband I am to my wife. I hope I am as good a father as you are to your kids. You weren’t like a father to me, you are a father to me.”

Wende Giza: Thanked dad for being the father he was and continues to be.

In closing, Supervisor Giza declared that his time served was a labor of love. He thanked the people for their kind words and quipped that had this happened before the election he might have won.

“I know that some of the regulars had to restrain themselves and I thank them for that too, for their kindness. I made mistakes in the past, just like I imagine everyone in this room has. I made them because I didn’t have the information I needed at the time. I did not make them (mistakes) purposely. I want to apologize for that.”

“I hope I left Lancaster in better shape than I found it; not that it was in bad shape to begin with. I took charge of putting in $8 million for the waterline project, and I never cut a ribbon for a waterline ceremony, but it had to be done.”

“I hope because my family and I passed this way the residents of this town are better off. So I say goodbye, God bless everyone and I wish everyone a Merry Christmas.”
    Last edited by Lee Chowaniec; December 21st, 2011 at 01:14 PM.

I hope Bob learns to enjoy some quiet time in retirement; he is truly a good man, and he deserves that.
    And, Dino's a good guy as well. I wish him the best of luck.

When therising says, "And, Dino's a good guy as well. I wish him the best of luck. "

You feel, he really dose he wish him the best of luck.

But when Stempniak says, "Dino (Fudoli) has some big shoes to fill, and I wish you luck with that.”

She makes it sound like she means "I wish you luck with that 'cause it ain't gonna happen"

I think the dog has returned to her vomit.

Georgia L Schlager

Though I didn't agree with some of Mr Giza's decision making as supervisor, there's no denying he loved this town and its people. I'm sure he'll have an appreciative audience for his story telling if he frequents the senior center. Retirement will afford him the opportunity to relax and enjoy life with his family and friends.

Georgia L Schlager

Most who observed Mr. Giza as Supervisor will agree that he put a lot of time and energy into the job---probably more than was actually needed (e.g. he seemed to attend every wake, etc in town). Since he did that for so long Bob Giza the Supervisor and Bob Giza the man seem to have become one identity. This may be why he is taking it so emotionally to leave the Supervisor position---it's like a loss of self identity. This may also be why he took any criticism so personally---even though it was just business. He is not alone in feeling that way, it's pretty common when someone does what he did, so that is not meant to be a negative comment. It seems Bob Giza the man needs to realize that he is still a husband, father, grandfather, and a Lancaster resident. He could use his newly found time to do volunteer work for various charities, etc, if he wants to continue serving the community. So all is not lost, and those new doors that are now open don't have to be paid government positions, or paid consulting positions. He now has an opportunity to rediscover who he really is.
    I did not agree with some of Supervisor Giza's decisions, and think he did make some big mistakes that he should have known better about, but that is just business---not a criticism of him as a man....

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    When therising says, "And, Dino's a good guy as well. I wish him the best of luck. "

You feel, he really dose he wish him the best of luck.

But when Stempniak says, "Dino (Fudoli) has some big shoes to fill, and I wish you luck with that.”

She makes it sound like she means "I wish you luck with that 'cause it ain't gonna happen"

I think the dog has returned to her vomit.
    Well Mr. Giza served his town as if it was his life and career. I wish him well, he is sincere when he states his devotion to the residents.

With that being said, wow did Stempniak really make that statement about wishing Dino luck with big shoes to fill and good luck with that? What kind of statement is that, was it a dig, was it a challenge?

I hope the Town Board members work with Dino and not against Dino. I hope they realize they work for the taxpayers of this great community. It would be a shame if Donna puts obstacles in from of Dino because public opinion will work against her. I think the other board members might work with Dino. I hope so otherwise it will be a waste of taxpayer representation.

Like Rising, I wish Supervisor Giza well in his retirement and Supervisor elect Fudoli the best in his future endeavors.

Giza had his day in the sun on Monday, today is another day. I will not personally disparage the man as he is no longer in office. However, what he said on several occasions Monday night struck me as being odd and needing comment. Like when the Supervisor declared:

“Before I go on, the only person I want to judge me is God Himself. He knows what I have done and what I didn’t do. Some people (who) are right here complain (attendees), but you know, it’s really hard on the family. Somewhere down the line politicians should get together and agree to agree, because you have a family out there. And when your family is nice, as most families are, they don’t want to read things in the paper about their families; or on the Internet. It hurts the family and what you are really doing is keeping good people away from running for office because they don’t want to drag their families through things because of the nastiness of how politics gets. I would hope that somewhere down the line politicians would stick to only the issues. And it’s not always the politicians; sometimes it’s the people behind them that encourage the nastiness.”

If anyone had a dirty campaign launched against him with smear tactics and lies, it was Dino Fudoli. In truth, the negative campaign in the media and in the campaign literature distributed was supported by some Democratic Party officials, committee members and thier lap dog minions. It was typical of the negative, personal attack smear campaign tactics used by the Dem Party for years. That claim can be made because some of the previous hate mailers had postage origin stamps from the homes of some of the boys that sang Giza’s praises Monday night.

As for keeping good people away from running for office, that is why the Republican Party has had difficulty in getting individuals to run for office and/or even getting supporters to contribute to the Republican campaign. Even if the facts were not true about a candidate’s personal life/actions, the damage was done. However, they failed in their attempt to discredit Fudoli this year and should have learned from that.

As for sticking to the issues, the Democratic Party knew the residents finally saw through their status quo self interest policies and decided they wanted a change in direction and fiscal responsibility. The millions of dollars wasted on the police/courts project broke the camel’s back and the public decided enough was enough. Fudoli is off to a flying start by taking the pay cut he promised, forfeiting the budget director stipend and giving up the town issued vehicle.

It is the last sentence in Giza’s prepared speech that I find most puzzling: “And it’s not always the politicians; sometimes it’s the people behind them that encourage the nastiness.”

It is the politicians themselves who often make the decision to go nasty. That occurred late in the election campaign when the DEMS held a committee meeting and a decision was made to go negative in the last hour.

Let us presume that Supervisor Giza did not know who leaked the slanderous eight year old Fudoli drug story to the press – which certainly backfired on the DEMS. Who then is he blaming for the negative campaign tacticts? Is he then blaming his defeat on political loose cannons, party rogues that could not be reigned in?

A campaign in Lancaster based on just the issues, that would be novel.

Good luck Mr. Fudoli. You will need it. You will be held to the same standard as Mr. Giza was. Should you meet resistance in your efforts to better Lancaster and control spending by fellow politicos, their feet will be held to the same fire. The residents of Lancaster are looking for more openness, transparency, credibility and civility. And most importantly, they are looking for reduced spending and fiscal responsibility.

Supervisor Giza also stated: “I know that some of the regulars (here tonight) had to restrain themselves and I thank them for that too, for their kindness.” It would have been totally inappropriate for anyone to have spoke ill of a man who was so committed to his community, spent endless hours serving it, and accomplished much in his 30 years of government service. That was your night Mr. Giza and you deserved the accolades. However, the residents choose to go in another direction and today is a new day.

Once again I see the piano player in the house of disrepute - or the guy behind the curtain in the Wizard of OZ.

But while I agree with some of Supervisor Giza's statements about nastiness and the affects politics can have on ones family - I find his statements and actions the past 16 - 17 years in office leads me and many others into a state of nausea.

He always seems to fend of responsibility for just about anything he's called to task on. When election after election, year after year, after many orchestrated personal assassinations of opponents - how - how can he claim he's been misjudged?

As far as his family - I wish them well - I wish them all the pleasant family memories and celebrations they deserve. I wish him many days of true reflection and I hope he never suffers the embarrassments, lies and family anxiety he has helped produce for so many.

If one feasts with those who are wrong doers - then he is just as guilty.
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

After reading your article Lee, my impression was that Mr. Giza felt guilty as he was reflective. He knew what his political puppets were doing, they were passing out the article at the Debate as Giza was stating he had nothing to do with the news article or any "member" of his family!

Donna's statement on "good luck" ~~ "shoes to fill" etc....I hope she does not impede Dino Fudoli's task to represent the residents of Lancaster. I hope she and the rest of the board plan to work together. As you stated so eliquently Lee, if they don't "public opinion" will take over. As far as I can see, public opinion has been pretty powerful lately.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    People tend not to change. My recommendation is to work on getting them removed from the board next round of elections.

This is the perfect time for those who want change to create the vehicle for such. This is the perfect time to organize a new local Party/Group of voters. Loose the standard party labels - loose the dividing affect and attitudes of Party influence.

A Town Government should be reps of the tax payers - not a one party money driven tool. We can debate what needs to change - we can prove over and over the injustice and unequal representation!

To win you have to play by their rules, 1) organize a "non party voter group" - or join one.

Baby steps - one at a time. Support those(Vote for) the ones who produce - Vote against those who don't. I don't believe Supervisor Fuduli was elected because he carried the Repub Label - I believe he was given a chance to end the status quo. Thats the approach that needs to grow - loose the "Party Players" - elect outsiders ( new candidates).

Personally, I was a Dem for over 25 years of my voting life - moved to Lancaster and met Supervisor Giza and his friends. I then went to the Repubs because they seemed to want change. I learned quickly they were in many ways a mirror of each other - heritage, inheritance and nepotism has ruled Lancaster for far to long.

Change - baby steps -

Just my two cents. Happy Holidays - Be Safe!
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

http://www.buffalonews.com/city/comm...icle689700.ece

As I attend Lancaster Town Board meetings religiously, I guess I can be considered one of those “gadflies” Mr. Giza likes to refer to. I have known Mr. Giza for 36 years – 21 as a former neighbor. As many others, I like the man and attest to his doing much good for the community, attest to is dedication and commitment, but find his last minute election loss explanation in today's Buffalo News unbefitting and illogical.

I find it unbefitting because the meeting referred to occurred 12 days ago, and a day prior to his opponent’s (Dino Fudoli) inauguration. Talk about raining on someone's parade.

Illogical because Mr. Giza declares in the Buffalo News report that Giza blames his defeat on the challenger's three ballot lines and, possibly, a sense among supporters that he didn't need their vote. The News also reported that the supervisor, however, blames his loss on newer town residents who voted for his opponent because they didn't know Giza well, possible complacency on the part of his supporters and Fudoli's three ballot lines to Giza's two.

The gadflies side of the story

The gadflies, and apparently the 55% of the electorate who voted Dino Fudoli into office, acknowledge Mr. Giza’s years of service and the good he has done. At the same time, they realized they didn’t like some of the things taking place and thought Lancaster was heading in the wrong direction. Like:

1) The millions of dollars wasted on the police/courts building. Nine years after the Colecraft Building purchase for the purpose of housing the merged Town and Village police forces and there is no building. The new Pavement Road building will not open for another year and the cost to build this facility will be twice the cost as was stated in 2003 for a building of comparable size.

2) The blowback from the negative campaign run by Mr. Giza’s party and his supporters cost him dearly. Mr. Giza’s denial that he played any part in the smear campaign and/or had knowledge of who did is highly suspect. The Republican Party campaign hammered on the issues.

3) Issues like the skyrocketing tax increases despite the town’s growth. Spending is out of control.

4) Issues like the skyrocketing town employee benefit costs. Yes, the pension costs are mandated by New York State. However, past union contracts have been more than generous and employees should be contributing to their health care plans.

5) Uncontrolled growth where valuable and functional wetlands have been destroyed or filled in for the sake of developer profit.

6) Rezones and rezones of rezones have become commonplace. The Master Plan provides no comfort to residents who purchased homes believing that the land adjacent to them would remain zoned as noted.

7) Overburdened subdivision roads being used as by-passes because there are not enough major roads to accommodate the growth.

8) The initial cost to expand/reconstruct Town Hall was placed at $1.6 million. The project cost ended up being $3.2 million. It was the uncontrolled spending and reasons for that led to Mr. Giza’s defeat – not the fact that Mr. Fudoli had three party lines going for him. And, he had those party lines for a reason. The electorate gave Mr. Fudoli a mandate to rein in spending and cut taxes. He will only be able to do that with cooperation from the remaining Democratic Town Board members who were in lockstep with Mr. Giza.

Mr. Giza claims that if the newer town residents had gotten to know him better that they may have voted for him. Others declare that residents did get to better know how the town was being managed and voted for change. It’s time to move on Mr. Giza. Again, as I stated to you at town board meetings, I wish you and your family well!

I found it to be a strange article the day prior to Dino's swearing in actually. As they say in the movies "timing is everything..." This must be his last day as the Town Supervisor. Giza likes to make a splash (no pun intended) but he did seemingly take some shots in a subtle way, like conflicts with Zarbo and the new resident's that didn't know him etc.....I guess why are we reading this again? We know how Bob felt and by reading this really tells me he is having a hard time letting go.

It is my assumption that serving the public is a service not a way of life. Since Bob served for so long, I suspect he is not sure what his identity is. I think he is a nice person, he was dedicated to the town..selective however on some residents but for the most part, he did his part.

The only thing you forgot to mention Lee is the airport and how Bob Giza allowed an entity to affect quality of life at a tune of over 10 million dollars, and on the backs of the taxpayers is not currently paying their tax bill while Bob Giza gave that airport 3 IDA's that does not qualify under the criteria of employing jobs for starters.

I wish Bob Giza luck, he has some big shoes to fill being an average neighbor like us.

Give it up Lee.

Your points have been taken, as you have posted thCe same crap multiple times.

It's time to move on. The people have spoken and have elected a man with a questionable history. It's up to him to prove himself now.

PS- what is really changing ( besides the vehicle and salary ?). Part the Dino /reps platform was railing against the spending and the budget, yet Dino is keeping the Gizas budget director Dave Brown?

What's happening to all the other dept. heads? Town attorney ? Committee appointments? TM?

It seems like status quo may continue after all.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewGuy View Post
    Give it up Lee.

Your points have been taken, as you have posted thCe same crap multiple times.

It's time to move on. The people have spoken and have elected a man with a questionable history. It's up to him to prove himself now.

PS- what is really changing ( besides the vehicle and salary ?). Part the Dino /reps platform was railing against the spending and the budget, yet Dino is keeping the Gizas budget director Dave Brown?

What's happening to all the other dept. heads? Town attorney ? Committee appointments? TM?

It seems like status quo may continue after all.
    You have a problem with Dave Brown?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information