Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bflo: #1 in Black male joblessness

Unregistered

Bflo: #1 in Black male joblessness

This serious issue is a test for SUWNY. Can it be responsibly discussed without deteriorating into the too common cynicism or outright racism of some posters?

I hope that this depressing news will prompt a re-examination of BMHA, long the 'flagship' of Bflo's booming poverty industry. BMHA tenants are heavily black & poor, but city-run BMHA has too often been used as a bonanza of patronage & developer-driven projects instead of being an engine of poverty reduction.

For example, many BMHA patronage workers live in suburbs, while idealy most would live in BMHA or nearby neighborhoods.

There is an opportunity to reform BMHA. There are now two vacancies in the five Mayor-appointed board positions. Byron Brown can show real intent to address black poverty as well as housing blight by appointing proven advocates for affordable housing or the poor, instead of the too-often political opportunists of the past.

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/463808.html

Worst black male jobless rate: right here
    At 51.4% last year, Buffalo area unmatched as reflection of ‘a civic outrage’ nationally

By Gene Warner NEWS STAFF REPORTER, Updated: 10/15/08 6:32 AM

When an economics professor in Milwaukee studied the issue of black male unemployment, he found that his city had the second-highest such jobless rate in the nation last year.

Guess who finished first: Buffalo.

The Buffalo metro area topped the list among 35 large American cities with a staggering black male jobless rate of 51.4 percent, according to figures cited by Professor Marc V. Levine of the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

Milwaukee finished a close second, at 51.1 percent, with Detroit third, St. Louis fourth and Chicago fifth. “It’s nothing less than a civic outrage to have these levels of joblessness,” Levine said in a telephone interview Tuesday.

The study didn’t take Buffalo city officials by surprise. “I knew there was a high unemployment rate in the black male population, which is why we have worked so hard to enhance the employment environment in Buffalo,” Mayor Byron W. Brown said. “This is an inherited problem, which is decades in the making.”

Asked for specifics about what his administration is doing to attack the problem, Brown cited the mayor’s summer youth employment program, which has grown from 1,294 youths in 2005 to 3,113 this past summer. The city also has instituted a winter program. It meant 100 youth jobs last winter and plans for 250 this winter. Such programs are crucial in making young people more employable, providing some income for hard-pressed families and teaching both the value and rewards of having a job, the mayor said.

Denver had the lowest black male jobless rate, 28.7 percent, followed by Washington with 29.5 percent and San Diego with 31.1.

The data, according to Levine’s study for the university’s Center for Economic Development, are based on figures from the U. S. Census Bureau’s American Community Survey. In his study, Levine also compared the black and white jobless rates for each of the 35 metro areas. Milwaukee had a relatively low white jobless rate of 18.6 percent, meaning that the gap between its black and white jobless rates was 32.5 percentage points.

That gave Milwaukee, by far, the biggest racial gap among the 35 metro areas in the study.

Buffalo finished second in that category with a racial gap of 26.1 percentage points — the difference between its black jobless rate of 51.4 percent and its white jobless figure of 25.3. “Only in depressed, de-industrializing Buffalo did the racial gap in joblessness come close . . . to Milwaukee’s,” Levine wrote in his study.

While Levine’s 21-page report deals mostly with the situation in Milwaukee, some of the report’s comments about black unemployment obviously would apply to Buffalo. “With a national economy poised on the edge of a major recession — or worse — and on top of an already-deteriorating labor market in Milwaukee, the city faces the grave prospect of further increases in black male joblessness,” the report states.

Both cities, Levine said Tuesday, are in the grips of the recession already. In trying to improve their black male unemployment rates, the Buffalo and Milwaukee areas both face the same disconnect. Their segregated population patterns mean that more than 80 percent of their African-American labor force lives in the city, while any job growth occurs in the suburbs.

Long distances and lack of suitable public transportation make it difficult for both cities to bridge that gap. “There’s a limited accessibility to the jobs that are being created in the metropolitan area,” Levine said.

So what should Buffalo and Milwaukee take from the study? “Hopefully, these numbers are a big wake-up call to policymakers that we have an intolerably high jobless rate,” Levine said.

Brown said he could use the study’s results in seeking tools to help reduce such joblessness. Among other recommendations, Levine called for a greater public infrastructure investment, not only as a national effort, but as a regional and local one. And he also called for a huge green economic investment that could create 2 million new “blue/green-collar” jobs across the country.

gwarner@buffnews.com

Well i think the first place to start would be to imporve the graduation rate across the board. It's hard to get a job with our a HS degree or GED!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Parents also have to be involved with their kids upbringing. You can not depend on a school for that.

If memory serves me at the height of the great depression the jobless rate average nationwide was 25%.
    At present the white male population in Buffalo is at 28% and the Black is 51.1%.
    Buffalo is poorer now than the nation was in the great depression in terms of unemployment. Yet, outside of WNY, that dosen't seem to raise an eyebrow. Show's how much Washington and Albany, and the rest of the nation as well, thinks of us.
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

By the way, what happened to biker? I miss the old coot.

Quote Originally Posted by citymouse View Post
    If memory serves me at the height of the great depression the jobless rate average nationwide was 25%.
    At present the white male population in Buffalo is at 28% and the Black is 51.1%.
    Buffalo is poorer now than the nation was in the great depression in terms of unemployment. Yet, outside of WNY, that dosen't seem to raise an eyebrow. Show's how much Washington and Albany, and the rest of the nation as well, thinks of us.
    It is not just the government that is to blame Mouse. Between the Great Depression and the two World Wars, the population of WNY exploded from migration from the south. A lot of this migration were blacks from the south moving from the farms to the factories.

What has not happened is the migration of unskilled labor away from WNY when unskilled labor jobs left. Somehow in a generation or two, the mindset of a job in your birth location is a birthright was planted in the mind of some.

I would be interested in knowing the education level of both the white and black unemployed population. How many have even a GED? How many have a HS degree?

Added to that, the skeleton in the closet for unions is their blatant racism in the public workplace. Look at your hero TK from South Buffalo. While he did everything in his power to keep unions strong in the construction, he did NOTHING to ensure that there were equal opportunities for ALL races to get into the trades. Do you think this number of 51% is NEW? Hell no. This is just a new study.

Quote Originally Posted by kernwatch View Post

There is an opportunity to reform BMHA. There are now two vacancies in the five Mayor-appointed board positions. Byron Brown can show real intent to address black poverty as well as housing blight by appointing proven advocates for affordable housing or the poor, instead of the too-often political opportunists of the past.
    Or, we could do something better.

Let's abolish the failed Housing Authority. With something like 25,000 vacancies in this city it is absurd to claim that somebody can't find housing. I suggest we all write to our congressmen and representatives demanding that funding be slashed for this organization.

Statistics don't apply to individual people.

There comes a time when people need to do something about their own circumstances and solve their own problems. Here are some points to kick start discussion:

-When did people feel entitled to remain in one area their entire life? I've moved 3 times for better opportunity, twice across the country. If you can't afford to live in the place you are at, then you should find a job somewhere else and move. People who don't have nobody to blame but themselves.

-It has not gotten to the level of the Great Depression where there are no jobs to be had. The classified section each week is full of unskilled jobs, and there are opportunities to learn a trade and better yourself. Perhaps what we need to do is get rid of the incentive to sit around and mooch off of everybody else. Abolish welfare. Replace it with private charity for those who are truly needy. This will result in a massive reduction in taxes and a better business environment which will lead to growth.

-Become more colorblind. I'm sick and tired of everything becoming a racial issue. Is unemployment a problem? OK, let's work on unemployment. What does the skin color or background of the jobless person matter?

What portion of the 50%+ are even looking?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post

What has not happened is the migration of unskilled labor away from WNY when unskilled labor jobs left. Somehow in a generation or two, the mindset of a job in your birth location is a birthright was planted in the mind of some.
    Do you believe if we didn't have so many government transfer of wealth programs this would have happened?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Do you believe if we didn't have so many government transfer of wealth programs this would have happened?
    I think your on to somthing here!!! They should have asked a few more questions, both of the blacks and whites. Like ARE THEY TRYING to be employeed? What level of education they have? Are they accepting any type of public assistance and what level?

My question is, if your a HS drop out, have a few kids, WHY would you go to work for $8 to $10 and hour when NYS can give you the same if not better by sitting at home? There is no motivation in SOME cases and that is because of NYS!

Lastly, why do they only mention black as the minorites in this study or many others, have we forgot that HISPANICS are the LARGEST minority in this country? Why is everything about blacks?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post

I 100% agree that social services are the reason people stay. There are some people on SU who have told their story about going on aid but getting off. They did what was needed and found a job that allowed them to stand on their own.

See the way I see it, social services are to help people get back on their feet. The challenge is the opportunity to get out on your own, even if you wanted to, does not exist for the profile of most people in the system IN WNY.

We all know these programs are never going to end. There are too many people employed to help other find employment.What would correct the challenges is if things like Welfare and Food Stamps were done on a national level. This would add some common sense to the process and allow people to migrate where they have the best opportunity. It would also level out the benefit payouts from the high states like NY to the low states in the South.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougles View Post
    Lastly, why do they only mention black as the minorites in this study or many others, have we forgot that HISPANICS are the LARGEST minority in this country? Why is everything about blacks?
    You can bet your ass if Hispanics had anywhere near the ridiculous 50%+ unemployment rate they would have been included.
    The reason blacks were singled out is because of how appauling their numbers are. Hell, the white number is shocking too, but I believe it's there for reference purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by FisherRd View Post
    You can bet your ass if Hispanics had anywhere near the ridiculous 50%+ unemployment rate they would have been included.
    The reason blacks were singled out is because of how appauling their numbers are. Hell, the white number is shocking too, but I believe it's there for reference purposes.
    Well if there going to mention 2 groups why not mention them all?

Quote Originally Posted by Dougles View Post
    Well if there going to mention 2 groups why not mention them all?

I don't know for sure. The logical assumption is that the other stats aren't jaw droppingly obscene.

I personally think the education system has a lot to do with it. We need to bring back our trade school programs that have really gotten the shaft in recent years.

Secondly, Hurricane Katrina showed us that poor people can't afford to move or leave. I think that's a big deterrent to people leaving to find better jobs. They can't afford to support themselves in a new area while they're looking. They can't afford to commute back and forth to look for new jobs.

I can appreciate that people want us to become colorblind, but seriously, when 50% of a particular race is unemployed in your city, to not look at the race issue in some part is to ignore the white elephant in the room.
    1 Corinthians 13:1 "If I speak in the languages of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal."

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information