Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fire Votes Tuesday on contract.

Fire Votes Tuesday on contract.

The city of Buffalo and the union representing the Firefighters have reached a tentative agreement. Details are being kept confidential until the membership vote on it Tuesday Nov. 4th.
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

By the way, what happened to biker? I miss the old coot.

Its not confidential:

Buffalo firefighters will vote on a contract Tuesday that would raise their average pay by about 20 percent over five years.

The tentative pact includes retroactive hikes of 9.4 percent, including a $3,500 lump sum increase to be added to firefighters' base salaries dating back to July 2007.

Mayor Byron W. Brown and two of his key advisers said the deal also includes numerous changes that will result in tens of millions of dollars in savings.

"This contract is expected to reduce overtime costs and will be affordable to the city, while also responding to concerns that firefighters had when they rejected a previous contract," Brown told The Buffalo News today.

http://www.buffalonews.com/258/story/482787.html
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

I wonder if....

the Control Board approves the pact, IF they will actually pay it. They didn't pay us, the Cops, as the CONTRACT states, I'm leery of them paying them. They like concessions, but they don't like to pay. The City's unreserved fund balance is rumored to be 120 million for last fiscal yr. If the Firefighters ratify it , I would hope the Control Board would approve it. Otherwise, the City will have to wait another yr to negotiate, when the Control Board will in all likelyhood be in an advisory mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Deerhunter View Post
    the Control Board approves the pact, IF they will actually pay it.
    Not Sure
    control board Chairman Paul J. Kolkmeyer said a Wednesday vote is highly unlikely, claiming city officials have only provided "bits and pieces" of information to the panel.
    "I have no idea what the total costs [of the contract] are going to be, or what the total savings are going to be," said Kolkmeyer.
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

The city Blue collar has gone the longest with out a raise. In seven and one half years we have not seen one penny. We are so far behind every one else it is pathetic. Police, fire fighters, white collar, Building Inspectors, Engineers, and even crossing guards have seen increases. Seasonal employees have even had an increase.
    Maybe we need a change in Union leadership, although that dosen't seem to matter. But it is going to be interesting to see how snow removal goes this year. We are short staffed as it is and most guys have taken on seacond jobs to supplement their pay that has fallen almost eight years behind inflation cost of living, gas price increases, rising heating bills and you name it.
    They may not be available to work that OT. If we have a bad winter the streets in Buffalo could get ugly.
    The administration won't even talk to us. At one point they threw our negotiators out of city hall, pretty much. They are pissed because we picketed the Mayor's fund raiser back in May after they negotiated a deal with us and then tried to change the terms in the final hour before it was signed.
    They may be pissed but not as pissed as our membership.
    And we supported Brown stronger than any other Union. Promoted him in South Buffalo, worked his phone banks, and our international gave him around a hundred grand.
    What a joke!
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

By the way, what happened to biker? I miss the old coot.

Headline : Firefighters agree to concession filled contract

that would have been a funny headline. You won't see it in the News though. The Unionized Fire Dept will be criticized for getting , what may amount to 20%. They didn't mention they have worked without a contract for yrs, but it is the News which tends to be one sided.

I would guess

they are trying to push you guys into a job action. Do what you have to do. We attempted to negotiate with the City, but they showed no interest in working out a deal. (in June they told Meegan they would get back to him within a couple weeks !) We declared impasse and are headed to arbitration. The City wants everyone to back out of a lawsuit that we won and they have appealled. Stall tactic. We won't do that. Have spent too much time and money. I believe we will win, which will bring us a raise we should have gotten in 06'. I believe we will have to sue to get interest on the raise because inflation has largely minimized that. By then an arbitrator will decide on a contract for us. I hope if the Firefighters vote the contract in, that the CB agrees and pays them. I just don't trust them, CB.

Quote Originally Posted by citymouse View Post
    The city of Buffalo and the union representing the Firefighters have reached a tentative agreement. Details are being kept confidential until the membership vote on it Tuesday Nov. 4th.
    That is why they kept ticketing the POOR property owners for the MONEY GRAB... "Quality Of Life">>

20% raises in our hard economic times?? THEY WILL WORK AND VOTE AGAINST THE MAYOR NEXT YEAR ANYWAYS>> and So will IIIIIIII

THEY ALL LIVE OUT OF THE CITY..

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    Its not confidential:

Buffalo firefighters will vote on a contract Tuesday that would raise their average pay by about 20 percent over five years.

The tentative pact includes retroactive hikes of 9.4 percent, including a $3,500 lump sum increase to be added to firefighters' base salaries dating back to July 2007.

Mayor Byron W. Brown and two of his key advisers said the deal also includes numerous changes that will result in tens of millions of dollars in savings.

"This contract is expected to reduce overtime costs and will be affordable to the city, while also responding to concerns that firefighters had when they rejected a previous contract," Brown told The Buffalo News today.

http://www.buffalonews.com/258/story/482787.html

But what are the changes to reduce costs? When I read the paper the other day I did not see any details. It stinks that they won't release that information to the public. Unless I am wrong and it is out there, but if this is the case, why is that not in the paper?

Quote Originally Posted by citymouse View Post
    But it is going to be interesting to see how snow removal goes this year. We are short staffed as it is and most guys have taken on seacond jobs to supplement their pay that has fallen almost eight years behind inflation cost of living, gas price increases, rising heating bills and you name it.
    They may not be available to work that OT. If we have a bad winter the streets in Buffalo could get ugly.
    Its about time. You have to help yourselves. Look at the parking enforcement blitz. Front page every day, and the city got a deal done with us quick. Thats all they understand. Leave garbage on the streets for a week or two and snow piled up and you'll have a deal in no time. 7 1/2 years you have no one to blame but yourselves.
    "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by MoreOfTheSame View Post
    But what are the changes to reduce costs? When I read the paper the other day I did not see any details. It stinks that they won't release that information to the public. Unless I am wrong and it is out there, but if this is the case, why is that not in the paper?
    The information will come out in time. It has to go to the control board....when that happens, the terms will become public.

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post
    The information will come out in time. It has to go to the control board....when that happens, the terms will become public.
    I understand it goes through a process, but if they are widely saying what the fire department gets (large raises, etc) then out of fairness they should say what the city is getting back. That way the public could comment before it is a done deal.

Quote Originally Posted by MoreOfTheSame View Post
    The firemen are giving up way too much. The health insurance lawsuit alone that the firemen are dropping that the teachers already won and the PD will win will more than pay for the raises. Thats ok with me though because they can use the money saved to pay us because we would never agree to something like that. I can never figure out that fire union. Theyve come this far and are killing them in OT and giving up now? Silly move if they approve it.
    "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson

concessions

the Firemen are agreeing to a 15 yr residency rule
    -eliminating the cosmetic rider from their insurance
    -going to a 24 hr schedule
    -7 yrs , from 5 to get to top pay
    -33 hrs of vacation time give back
    -withdrawing from some lawsuits and grievances

The out yrs of the contract will save the City money. They wouldn't have agreed to it if it didn't. Penksa (former Control Board member ) thinks its a good deal for the City.

Quote Originally Posted by Deerhunter View Post
    the Firemen are agreeing to a 15 yr residency rule
    -eliminating the cosmetic rider from their insurance
    -going to a 24 hr schedule
    -7 yrs , from 5 to get to top pay
    -33 hrs of vacation time give back
    -withdrawing from some lawsuits and grievances

The out yrs of the contract will save the City money. They wouldn't have agreed to it if it didn't. Penksa (former Control Board member ) thinks its a good deal for the City.
    I think it is a good idea as well. I don't mind paying out more in raises as long as there is a residency agreement. It would be nice to have some of the money coming back into the city in terms of taxes, and to have the fire guys live inside the limits. Sounds like it is a fair deal.

Of course, I hope it the residency rules will be enforced.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information