Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Bflo: #1 in Black male joblessness

Quote Originally Posted by Achbek1 View Post
    Actually, you may be right. They DID do a study a few years ago about whether or not there really is a lack of entry level employment in the poverty stricken areas of the city of Buffalo. The study found that there were in fact a good number of entry level jobs within easy commuting distance within the city lines.

Yet-- AND I WOULD LOVE TO SEE THE BUFFALO NEWS WRITE A STORY ABOUT THIS-- *WINK*

For fifteen years now I have always noticed the large amount of people from various parts of the city who commute to the suburbs to work-- yes-- entry level retail or food service jobs at the plazas and "big boxes" in Amherst, etc. This has been going on for quite some time but I don't think there has EVER been a news story (Buffalo News or otherwise) written about it. The famous Cynthia Wiggins story from many years ago started to shed some light on this trend but the focus on that story was different... But the long and the short of it is, many people are in fact looking for entry level or mid level work and often those people live in areas of the city where there are not too many businesses... Those people who want some kind of part time or stepping stone work often do look for retail or food service jobs and those jobs are often out in the suburbs...

A friend of mine who lives in East Amherst noticed this when the new Wal Mart opened on Transit Road. Apparently many of their applicants came from the city and had to commute quite a ways to get there.

The clincher with the Transit Road or East Amherst area is that it is mostly higher income people who actually live in those areas, but lower income people who often work in those areas.

Yes, this may be too controversial of a topic to discuss and there would likely be some kind of resistance to it. But it is going on and could be worth examining.
    The News did almost an entire series of front-page stories on that very subject a few years ago. I think you have a short memory. I can provide the series to you next week if you would like.

Quote Originally Posted by atotaltotalfan2001 View Post
    The News did almost an entire series of front-page stories on that very subject a few years ago. I think you have a short memory. I can provide the series to you next week if you would like.
    Ah snap! They did?

I remember them doing a series about inner city TEENAGERS specifically looking for entry level work in the suburbs-- but if that's the same story I remember they didn't include all age levels, just teens.

There may be some adults also who are looking for entry level work, such as housewives (or house husbands) and others who maybe need to build their skills.

Let me know. I don't think my early onset Alzheimer's has kicked in yet.
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

Sandra Tan wrote:

THE YOUNG AND THE JOBLESS ONE TEEN'S FRUSTRATING SEARCH SHOWS HOW FEW SUMMER JOBS ARE OPEN." The Buffalo News (Buffalo, NY) (June 5, 2004): A1.

I will quote portions of the article here, reprinting it online would violate copyright and database user agreements.

"t's 1:30 p.m. Brandi Hill pulls up a seat at the dining room table of her Kensington-Bailey home and plops down a folder of resumes.

The 17-year-old high school junior has filled out at least 40 applications since her last summer job ended a year ago. Employers promise to call but rarely do."

"Brandi talks strategy with her mom, Tina Hill, who started working at 15 as a church secretary and has proudly worked her whole life since. Work is everything, her mother says, the difference between a life of choices and one of poverty.

Brandi picks up her folder and heads out once again.

For many teenagers, working a summer job is about more than pooling cash for a fun night out. It's about fostering goals and values that can establish the patterns of a lifetime."

"In larger cities like Buffalo, he said, the employment rate is typically lower than the national average. Unlike other cities with healthier retail, food service and tourism industries, Western New York's youth job market is weak."

"As a black city teenager, Brandi's chances of finding work are far lower than those of her white suburban counterparts.

Last summer, half of white teenagers looking for a job found one, said Sum. Among black teens, only one out of four were successful.

A lot of poorer city kids want jobs, say experts and local leaders, but the opportunities aren't there. "
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

Quote Originally Posted by Achbek1 View Post
    Sandra Tan wrote:
    Ok, so there is an unemployment problem. But whose fault is it? When I looked for my first job as a kid I had to make a ton of inquiries, fill out a bunch of applications (which I checked for spelling errors and the like) and made the required followup. It takes time and hard work to get a first job, and I think the News did bad by simply turning it into a "blacks in the city" vs "whites in the suburbs" type of issue.

Here are some more good quotes from the above cited 2004 Sandra Tan article:

"State Sen. Byron W. Brown said that almost everywhere he goes these days, ministers, parents and community leaders are asking him about jobs for kids.

"We all are kind of feeling pressure to do something," the Buffalo Democrat said.

He recalled when the City of Buffalo hired between 400 and 800 summer interns. That money is gone, he said. Other youth-hiring organizations also face cutbacks, he added.

Jeff Nixon, youth services manager of the Buffalo Employment Training Center, said federal and state money for youth job programs has been cut this year. If the State Legislature does not restore money, hundreds of poor teenagers normally served by the training center will be turned away.

As it is, roughly 2,000 teenagers each year apply for about 800 summer jobs available through the training center.

"Some of these kids," he said, "when we tell them they've been hired, they literally break down and cry."

"The earlier teenagers can find a job, the better, Nixon said.

"It can change a life, it really can," he said. "That could steer them away from other things that could be tempting to them, like marketing in the drug trade or stealing from people. It's tough out there these days. You've got to survive."

Brandi's mom isn't waiting. She regularly hands her daughter business directory listings and resume copies."

I remember another article that mentioned a lower income, inner city man whose company relocated to Orchard Park. The man had an older car and had a hard time getting to the job in O.P.

They may have mentioned too how a lot of workers were displaced when National Fuel relocated to Main St. in Williamsville... The article did mention how those people were told how the new Main St. location was still on a bus line.

See total? My memory isn't that bad! ...And I'm not even taking ginko biloba!

So... after 5 pages of discussing this ridiculous statistic, what have we learned? Let me tell you. That Joe Blackman, resident of inner city Buffalo, is dying for work, yet there are simply no jobs available to him. Poor fellow. If only that darned Burger King on Broadway would start hiring again. It's a shame the lad has to spend all his days cooped up in that Escalade. With the Gold Package.

Quick somebody grab me a HandiWipe - I think my heart bled all over my inflated tax bill.

Please be clear

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    So... after 5 pages of discussing this ridiculous statistic, what have we learned? Let me tell you. That Joe Blackman, resident of inner city Buffalo, is dying for work, yet there are simply no jobs available to him. Poor fellow. If only that darned Burger King on Broadway would start hiring again. It's a shame the lad has to spend all his days cooped up in that Escalade. With the Gold Package.

Quick somebody grab me a HandiWipe - I think my heart bled all over my inflated tax bill.
    WHICH TAX BILL?? The county...that has mandated Soc services...or the Federal ,that has sect. 8, or Heap, or Food Stamps....OR...

Quote Originally Posted by joe d. View Post
    WHICH TAX BILL?? The county...that has mandated Soc services...or the Federal ,that has sect. 8, or Heap, or Food Stamps....OR...
    Ah.......yes.
    If it weren't for the United States Military, there would be NO United States of America !

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post

I think we've learned that racism is not dead. I think we've learned that abuse and greed both social welfare and corporate welfare cost the taxpayer valuable resources.

There are *lots* of people who make money on an underclass. It's existence has become necessary so that many white collar folk can justify their existence. It's no way to build an economy, but here we are.

I'm not saying it's OK for people to not work. But there really are not enough jobs.

We create jobs by deciding how to spend our money, both privately and in taxes. Society does not spend enough money to create jobs for all the people we create. As a result, the present economic paradigm has determined that some people must not work (this also keeps cost of labor down for unskilled work). First they do this by "educational achievement". For instance, if you don't graduate high school then you're less likely to work. What determines high school graduation? Standardized tests. Those tests are set up so that the children of those who are already "educated" will be successful on the tests, thus status quo is ensured.

So spare me the image of the gold escalade as the poster child for welfare, get on a bus damnit and look around see who's walking to the train station and the bus stop waiting 30 minutes outside in February for a bus. Most people on public assistance are not driving around in gold escalades.

Unregistered

Is "Ghosthunter" a racist 'handle'?

"Goonobie", I agree that this discussion is destructive.

I started this thread about a serious problem in Bflo, with the goal of having a discussion compatable with the SUWNY 'TOS', which is "to make Bflo a better place".

Indeed, based on the tone of his-her discusssions, one must question whether "ghosthunter" is meant to be a racist 'signature"?

Time to move on?

Quote Originally Posted by kernwatch View Post

I started this thread about a serious problem in Bflo, with the goal of having a discussion compatable with the SUWNY 'TOS', which is "to make Bflo a better place".

Indeed, based on the tone of his-her discusssions, one must question whether "ghosthunter" is meant to be a racist 'signature"?
    KERN you're beginning to sound like the old SALEM ,MASSACHUSETTS whichunter of the olden days...where anyone could be accused of being a which and was generally burnt at the stake. without proof!
    Much info you seem to have is interesting and I often wonder about your sources..but lately, much of what you say is beginning to be boring, same ol' rhetoric in every post. Perhaps it's time that Minneapolis had a taste of your
    " GALLANT EFFORTS " to shake the skeletons of the elected officials ' closets

Quote Originally Posted by joe d. View Post
    Oh, just pick one.

No, it's not. I'm a fan of the show. Period. I never even THOUGHT of that before, but now that you mention it... Just kidding. It totally isn't.

dickie,WTF are you talking about??

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread Information