View Poll Results: Which group is most spoiled?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • The NHL Hockey players or

9 27.27%
  • Erie County's Government employee's

24 72.73%

Thread: Which group is more spoiled?

Which group is more spoiled?

Life imitating art once again.

stevenco

Thumbs up

I voted the Govt. Employees because at least the NHL players weren't handed these jobs. They had to be good enough to get them. I never understood why people complain how much pro athletes make, it just goes back to the owners. And at least nepotism isn't involved. If you or I could skate and shoot like Mario, they would pay you and me that kind of money, too.

Please visit and vote at the "Ginger or MaryAnn" poll. And post too

My feeling with the employees is - Hate the game, don't hate the player.

Civil service people have a certain mindset that will never, never. change. Despite what you all think, your average civil servant (clerk, sanitation, etc) is not paid all that well. They go into it because of the benefits it provides to persons with little skills.

Keep in mind, this comes from the son of a cop. I come from a rather blue collar upbringing, so I kind of know what I'm talking about.

My father never wanted me to be a cop because 1) it's dangerous and 2) he knew I could make more money elsewhere.

My father was right.

(On a somewhat sentimental side, I probably should've told him this when he was alive).

It should be an honor to play a pro sport. The player should be playing for the fans and cuz they like the game. Not because they want greater pay or for their union or personal pride. They aren't starving with the pay they are getting.

Also, the NHL doesn't have the $$ like the NFL does. Further, a cap would actually probably help the game and make it more entertaining. Isn't that what it is about?

(There's a lot of things we should have told our fathers.)

link

Erie county's budget has been operating with a loss for years. A loss of jobs and a loss of people. And they want more money from us?

Hey, just heard it looks like the league may accept a Cap. WOW. Now it looks like Erie county has just done the same.
    OH SWEET, SWEET IRONY!!

MayAnne rules!!

I conside it an honor to work for the city of Buffalo. I would be more honored if they paid better.
    We get by. But unlike some one who was appointed I took a test for my job and am beholden to no politician. I don't go to the mayors fund rasiers and do no political campaign work for him.
    The mayors come and go and the commissoners with them.
    Most workers could care less who is in charge. They just want to do thier jobs and get thier pay. The problem with the county is it was mismanaged by elected officials and the rank and file are the immediate scapegoats.
    Think about it. If you are incharge and your survival at the top depends on your supporters who support you because you provide thier lively hood, who you going to go after?
    The bottomfeeders in this case it is the county workers.
    Sorry but I do feel sorry for them. They are victims of curcumstance caught in the middle by shortsightedness of the politicians and thier fight to keep power.
    They could have anticipated the budget shortfalls by giambras bogus tax cut and been cutting jobs for the last five years through attrition. Thats pretty much what the city has been doing for ten years,
    It was business as usual, in fact Giambra added more jobs.
    You really can't blame average Joe.
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

By the way, what happened to biker? I miss the old coot.

Nobody is blaming average Joe. They shouldn't be mad at taxpayers though for not coughing up that extra penny. It wasn't our bad.

I didn't hear that they were.
    But when you lose your job a lot of people lash out at anybody who comes near them.
    The politicians have a hand in this as well they tell the workers that they had to vote this way, it is what the people wanted. Maybe so, but it is an easy way to shift the blame.
    Like I said before they could have eliminated jobs through attrirtion but chose not to. Now when the bottom drops out they tried to keep patronage at the cost of people who really work and are non-political. It is tough for people on the outside to understand why these people are as bitter as they are.
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

I vote Erie county employees. My husband was a professional athlete. Although in his day the contracts did not pay any thing close to what they get now. I know first hand the amount love, devotion and work it takes to get to play any sport professionally. I know how quickly it can all be over with one injury. I also know the sacrifices you have to make and the toll it takes not just on the players -- but their families. As I was informed once by an owner when I needed my husband to come home immediately because our son was critically ill -- "he maybe your husband and a father -- but for the next year HE IS MY PROPERTY". As for their pay alot of times the signed contract deal sounds good -- until you get the actual paycheck and everyone involved gets a piece.

I also know what it is to be a "civil servant". I worked for NYS many years ago when I first got out of college. My father encouraged me to take the exam -- even though back then I could have made more $$ in the private sector. He told me I had to think about our young son -- the pay is okay -- but the benefits and time off are what you need with a family. Plus you'll be in a union.

I also worked in CA as a county civil servant and much to the contrary about better wages..... Erie County pays better and has better benefits.

The problem I have found here since I moved back is the government jobs are the only ones paying a decent wage. Private sector employers just don't -- and I understand why -- because this state does nothing to promote good business.

Thanks for posting Irate. Is always good to hear what we already know...

Putting it in the terms of "Irate Taxpayer" the problem is not that goverment workers are paid too much, it's that everyone else here is paid to little.
    When most people close to retirement age became piblic servants the job paid less then most private sector jobs.
    People took goverment jobs for the benefits and security.
    As business worked to destroy the good standard of living and quality of life that working people had in this area. The goverment worker's reasoning paid off.
    Now those jobs are looked at as good jobs with good pay. It's too bad that so many people who had the opportunity to take the test in years past and obtain that security for them selves did not take advantage of it, went for the higher paying jobs in the private sector.
    The civil servants are reviled in this community as loathsome creatures feeding at the taxpayers trough. They are no different than they were twenty years ago. Except they are far fewer in number and have actually dropped in pay when you consider the raises against cost of living. Have in the city blue and white collar unions given up things to settle contracts, contracts with zeros pay increases in them.
    The business community leaders want to help this economy ? than put more disposable income in the hands of your workers and pay them a living wage.
    The more people spend the better for everybody. Maybe it's time for people like the Buffalo Niagara Partnership to invest some of that free money they get for those big projects that never get off the ground and reinvest it in the community in the form of higher wages for thier employees.

The business community leaders want to help this economy ? than put more disposable income in the hands of your workers and pay them a living wage.
    Yes! let's fire up the printing presses and print more money for people and give it to them! Then they can spend it! And then we'll ALL be rich!

Clearly you don't understand what currency is or how it works.

The civil servants are reviled in this community as loathsome creatures feeding at the taxpayers trough. They are no different than they were twenty years ago.
    Yes. they are no different. That's the problem. This is what happens when a community is subjected to twenty years of command economy.
    Data is not the plural of Anecdote.

stevenco
    Capital represents goods and services?

?I thought Capitals was a hockey team.

MaryAnne rules

Despite what you all think, your average civil servant (clerk, sanitation, etc) is not paid all that well.
    They are paid well over the average for what they do. Many of their functions could easily be done through mechanization
    They go into it because of the benefits it provides to persons with little skills.
    Well that's right. They are no less smart than any govt. unionized employee

stevenco

Lightbulb "Your hired."

NHL players earn theri job through hard work, skill, and determination. If you can't play at that level, then you can't play.
    Some County employees are unqualified.

Thread Information