My wife and I just returned from visiting our daughter in Columbus, Ohio. She moved there six months ago to find a good job because after many applications and few interviews here, her options were limited. She graduated from Kenmore West and attended college for two years.
In Columbus she found many available jobs and chose to work for a Midwest electric power company with 20,000 employees. She received a good starting salary, full medical, dental and retirement benefits and an opportunity to train and advance. She and her future husband are in the process of building a modest home. An equivalent home built in our area costs $15,000 to $20,000 more for a variety of reasons. The area has good schools, plenty of parks and recreation and a government working with the citizens. Property taxes there are significantly less, a 5 percent sales tax is in effect and working people have a minimal state payroll tax.

No region is Shangri-la, but parents, don't despair if your children decide it may be better to move out of this area to secure a future for themselves and their children. Remember most of our grandparents and parents came here from other places with the hope of a better life. My wife and I miss my daughter greatly, but we are happy in the fact that she and her fiancee have a good chance to fulfill their dreams in a progressive, emergent area.

WILLIAM MUCCI
Buffalo

www.buffalo.com