Thread: What an idea someone had on the board

Tony Fracasso - Admin

What an idea someone had on the board

Someone on the board mentioned holding a fund raiser to raise money to hire an outside auditor for various departments in the city and county. This way we can get real numbers and where the waste and curruption is. If it's an outside company they can't say we are just being bias on our opinion.

A lot of people say heap is pretty bad, the buffalo housing authority is rather currupt etc, the pepsi center in amherst isn't on the up and up, etc etc.

I wonder what type of cost would be associated to have an outside firm go through the books of departments of our chosing. If the departments fought the idea then you would know something is up. Remember these people work for us and it's OUR money. I think they forgot that.

I know i would have no issue donating $100 bucks to get a department audited. That $100 bucks in the long run might save me property tax, county tax, sales tax and a lot of other taxes NYS/WNY are so good at collecting.

The poster mentioned hot dog sales or what ever to raise money. THen i wonder if businesses could write thier contributions off seeing it's a business expense. We are doing this to cut the cost of business in NYS and WNY.

I know it sounds corny but think about it. If you look at the mess they have created do you really think they are going to stop it?

I think this deserves a poll

Unregistered
    I was the one with the idea. Create a charitible organization that can solicit tax-exempt contributions for independent audits, like any other charity. Publicly challenge the local governments to allow the audits to be performed. Then 3 things need to happen:

COLLECTION OF DATA: by an accouting firm.
    ANALYSIS OF DATA: by another party, perhaps a think tank like the RAND corporation. We want to compare the efficiency of our operations relative to other cities. There would be no vested interests in such an intrusive and independent analysis.
    PUBLICATION AND VALIDATION OF RESULTS: This is the tricky part. The parties identified as inefficient or redundant will band together to attempt to debunk the findings and obfusicate the issues. There may be such an epidemic of inefficiency and corruption in buffalo that the local government may be unreformable from within. This would include the voters as well, some of whom benefit from the broken system. But at least you'll know where you stand....

Thread Information