Thread: Will MOADIB eventually win out??

Talking Will MOADIB eventually win out??

OK, I know I'm nitpicking, but when a user has been asked, then told NOT to post in all capitol letters, time and time again, will he eventually wear everyone down to the point that we all just stop telling him about it, and let it go, or will we remain vigilant and conquer the caps in good time???
    Let me articulate this for you:
    "I'm not locked in here with them. They're locked in here with me!!"
    HipKat's Blog

Ignore function is at our finger tips if it continues.

stevenco
    Although, I seldom use all caps, I am entirely unaffected by the use of them by others.

Begins with S between Eggertsville and Williamsville

Caps

The Caps aren't playing this season...

Haven't you heard? The NHL season has been cancelllllllled...
    Christopher Byrd
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    http://indabuff.com
    http://broadwayfillmorealive.org

Moadib = tinfoil hat squad in my book. I ignore his/her posts for the most part, I think they are too full of themselves to listen waaht anyone has to say and if you push the point of using caps they will insist on doing it, then act like a victim. From what MOADIB posts I've read, I think they come from well intentioned, very motivated but totally uninformed person who does not even begin to think things through before posting.

Any one of us could fill this place with "only if we jsut did this" type ideas no matter how irrelevant or fatally flawed, jus the fact we are trying to do something should be good enough. Once folks try to help us see reality we can always adopt the poor victim position.

I'd love to see queen-o and wildroot and simon pure in business, folks living in city apartments, trolleys and lake freighters at the elevators and the crystal beach boat and companies locating there, but I am a realist and see it ain't gonna happen, or that those things went away a half century ago and ain't commin back.

I think I quit reading MOADIB posts when it was expalined that the reason business does not consider WNY is due to no elected officials calling them and inviting them to expand or stay or to come to WNY. That was so niave I stopped wasting any time reading any more of those posts.

To be ambitious and try to contribute and help is wonderful but to be totally irrelevant is just noise.

moadib

Gosh Guys, is CAPS really the biggest thing on your plate!

Gosh Guys, are CAPS really the biggest thing on your plate!

I would think that smart intelligent guys wouldnt be so easily annoyed by something so trivial and petty.

Glad to see where everyones priorities are!

Its a non-issue, atleast for me. Read me or Ignore me, its your choice. Agree with me or dis-agree with me, again, its your choice. Type in colors, quotes, bolds, caps, small case....if im interested, then I read it...if im not then i dont.

Move on guys, do something for your family, friends, neighbors, community or city. DONT LET THE CAPS DRAG YOU DOWN!

stevenco
    The caps aren't the problem. It's the irrational reaction to them.

I can't think of any circumstance where I'd be irritated in any way by the use of upper case fonts. I guess people, from what I understand, in other forums too are offended by them. It's not the caps. They're just capital letters.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Its just annoyingly hard to read. Thats all... nothing more..

It is more, actually. It's proper internet etiqutte to NOT type in all caps. Caps are a method of relaying inflection in the typed word. It's not just something on this board, it's a defacto standard. However, if you choose to ignore standards, you can rely on the fact that all caps makes it more difficult to read, especially for posts like moadib's that tend to be relatively long. If you're taking the time to type it, why not do something to ensure people will read it.

http://www.webstyleguide.com/type/case.html

Of course, the psycological effect is that it makes you look like a dumba$s.

http://www.randsinrepose.com/archive...ion_point.html

Gosh Guys, are CAPS really the biggest thing on your plate!

It is not just here... it's proper Netiquette not to use all caps. On occasion it's over-looked, but the point of ignoring many, many requests not to do so has probably become more of an issue.

I won't say who can or can't come to the boards to posts messages... we all have opinions and convictions (not those convictions ) that we stand by. Your opinions count just as much as anyone else's around here.

Move on guys,

I think if the window of opportunity is left open for something like this, then it's also open for others to come in and possibly do more inappropiate things, like using rude/bad language.

It would be different if just one person is 'nit-picking' but there are seveal people who find "ALL CAPS" to be annoying, feel it's shouting and/or difficult to read.

Like I said "Netiquette"... it's thinking of others.

From Online Netiquette . com

Common courtesy, social graces and socially acceptable behavior. All are used in a civilized society where humans interact with one another. Cyberspace is not any different. How you will be perceived, the type of human being that you are or for that matter are not, your credibility and your levels of professionalism and ethics will be judged by how you communicate with others online.
    To minimize the importance of established Netiquette Guidelines is to make a conscious decision to be thought of as rude, lazy, arrogant or uneducated. If you are online for commercial gain, lack of proper Netiquette may very well deter those who otherwise may have considered doing business with you.

Now, stop and read the above paragraph again. This is not a joke, this is not one person's opinion. This site is not in existence to call you names or make you feel bad. Quite the contrary. These are the issues you need to know about and skills you need to hone to be considered someone people want to communicate with. Because after all, this is about . . .

Number one of the top ten common courtesties.

1. Do not type in all caps. Typing in all caps is considered yelling or screaming online. Those who type in all caps are perceived as lazy and not being considerate of those who will have to read their e-mail. Various studies on the topic reflect that it is more difficult and takes longer to read text that is typed in all caps.

Read more at Netiquette 101

stevenco
    I guess I just don't see where you're coming from when you say that caps are hard to read. I went back just to check and read a post typed in caps. I like to use caps when they're called for like in Dawn Wells or Belfast, I or when beginning a sentence, et al..
    It allows for more precise communication, identifying proper nouns, etc...
    However, all caps is completely legible to me. As easy to read. And if they did bother me, I wouldn't read them.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I also can't understand people who complain about junkmail. (I'm not associating any of you anti-cap people with this crowd). I get a couple hundred a day in my bulkmail and I can empty the whole thing with one click without ever opening the bulk folder. One click is less energy than the mildest complaint. When one slips through to the inbox, that's not a problem either. I don't have to read it. I can if I want to.
    I could see snail junkmail. That takes up real space. How self importent would someone have to be to feel inconvenienced by a piece of junkmail? DOES THIS REALLY AFFECT YOU IN A NEGATIVE WAY? THIS IS HARD TO READ?

Originally posted by SolarEclipse
    Of course, the psycological effect is that it makes you look like a dumba$s.
    http://www.randsinrepose.com/archive...ion_point.html
    That link is hilarious.

Originally posted by stevenco
    I guess I just don't see where you're coming from when you say that caps are hard to read
    stevenco... 'scientific studies' have proven that whole paragraphs of text in all caps are more difficult to read. You are not allowed to argue with a scientific study. that's just the way it is. I'm sorry.

stevenco
    Don't remember arguing with any studies. When I say all caps is legible to me, that means that I think all caps are legible to me.
    I dont refute the results of that study (incidentally, I would be "allowed" to if I wanted to.) Evidently, a great many of you find it more difficult to read caps than lower case. When I say I have no problem reading them, it means that I have no problem reading them. You see how that works. If I were to say "Caps are just as easy to read as small case ", period, that would mean I would be assuming they are for everyone, just because they are for me. Do you understand now. Have someone explain it to you if you don't.

The irrational reaction is the inability to ignore something that disturbs you. There are alot of things on the internet (caps not one of them) that are hard to look at. I don't look at them and they don't bother me.

Thread Information