View Poll Results: Would you participate in the Buffalo Penny Party?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Let's show our officials we're not taking it anymore! It's worth a few bucks.

31 75.61%
  • No - I have faith that this will all work out

1 2.44%
  • Maybe - I think we should protest, but I don't want to throw money at their feet

9 21.95%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Penny Protest - or The Buffalo Penny Party

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    So now that's over with - to get back on track, does anyone have further CONSTRUCTIVE input on the Penny Party, or is this the wrong forum to inspire people to action?

Go for it. It's very tough to get people off thier arse when they believe they can't make a difference.

to get back on track, does anyone have further CONSTRUCTIVE input on the Penny Party,

IMPO- the only place I'm going to be tossing pennies into is the fountain of youth. (relax, it's just a little humor)

Isn't dropping pennies on County Hall just like giving them more of our money? And how would it make a difference?

They (the legislature) need to open the books of all county departments and go through every last page with a fine tooth comb to weed out all of the crappy positions in order for "us" the tax payers to see some really differences in our government officials.

Buffalo "...and I've got a fine horse under me", NY
    Maybe I'll just paint myself pink, put on a pig suit, grab a stuffed miss piggy, and go down and sit on my caboose until they take me away, and the moment they slap the cuffs on me, I'll announce my candidacy for County Executive. Seems like it's awful hard to even organize a stinking protest around here.

Isn't there supposed to be something down there tomorrow morning at 1200?

What about every property owner paying their property tax bill using all coins?
    The difference between taxes and robbery is the mode of coercion.

Buffalo "...and I've got a fine horse under me", NY
    Canadian at that, huh? Yep, go to the bridge, exchange that $3200 cash for $3200 worth of canadian coins, go pay your taxes.

Now, that's a good idea too.

Can you see the look on peoples faces? Lynn Dixon witht the camera..."I'm here to pay my taxes!" - thud.

Sweet.
    101st Airborne...
    Hill 937...
    10May69...

...'nuff said.

There is a great and laegal way to protest all this and help bring about change. In doing this you become out of reach to NYS, Buffalo or the county retaliating. The whinning about cutting services, libraries and parks no longer matters to you. It takes effort and a bit of risk and not all are able to do this but more should consider it. It can and probably will open you up to a new and positive life experience too.

The tactic.....start looking into a job or carreer elsewhere and leave NYS. Take your money, your talent your vote, your opinion, your effort and put it someplace where it will matter, don't pisss it into a drainhole in NYS.

The system is too entrenched, it is not going to change, citizens are not going to change it, why burn out on wasted efforts.

The point is probably no too far off that Erie County and NYS are going to collapse and require federal funding, who knows how it will all play out, but it will not be pretty. It could have serious effects on your company, your job, your family. Why not avoid the disater and be gone before the ship goes down .

If you could, how many would stage a tax revolt and refuse to pay sales tax, income tax, property tax, all teh taxes on gasoline, utilities, the effects on cost of things you buy that pay teh taxes and fees of the workers who provide the product or services, teh business taxes and fees from those distributors and manufacturers ? When you move away you deprive the beast of tens of thousands of dollars a year and bring the point of gov't economic collapse there all teh sooner.....

By the way....no offense, but why on god's green earth would anyone move from San Diego to Buffalo ? My sympathies.....

I did that... After college I couldn't get a job here so I moved away for many years... but came back because of family. If my immediate family wasn't still here I would have never come back.

Thousands of people have left WNY over the past 15 years. Have we improved? No. Has govt got the message and reformed? No.

Not everyone can leave even if they want to. They have kids, spouses, jobs, obligations.

I really don't think that's the best solution anyway. Why run away when you can help fix it instead?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Isn't it funny Ray Duzya said it was the christian thing to do and raise the sales tax.

Wouldn't the christian thing to do is lower taxes so families can live in the same area? Is it me but years ago weren't families tighter here in Western NY? You didn't hear about people really moving and leaving the area. The family unit was tighter because of locality.

Originally posted by 300miles
    If my immediate family wasn't still here I would have never come back.
    Seems like that's the only reason halh the people in this area are here.
    What's going to happen when all our kids leave and establish roots elsewhere? Eventually, they'll have nothing to come back to.

You're right therising.

It was disheartening when I fully realized everyone I knew also left town. I grew up here and went to school here so I had many friends around my age. When I moved back, there was only ONE of my old friends left outside of my family. Just one. The rest had all moved away as I did, and never came back.

Some have gotten married and started families in their new locations... so the chances of them ever moving back to Buffalo is close to zero. In some cases their parents have also left, since they no longer had kids holding them here.

One thing though... people that leave tend to become nostalgic. I know a few people that would love to move back here, if they could only find a similar job with similar pay.

Hi folks. Well if recent events portend a genuine reform in local politics, perhaps we as a community can begin to finally turn the corner along with the rest of the country.

Because if my kids have to move away to start a life and build a family - I'm gone too, along with my business and its economic impact.

The "powers that be" in this region have 12 years on my clock to get affairs in order. And such leadership has to begin at the top.

Our elected officials need have their feet held to the fire and be constantly reminded that THEY work for US, and that it's all about public service - not pork and patronage for a select few acquaintances of the county executive.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information