View Poll Results: Would you participate in the Buffalo Penny Party?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Let's show our officials we're not taking it anymore! It's worth a few bucks.

31 75.61%
  • No - I have faith that this will all work out

1 2.44%
  • Maybe - I think we should protest, but I don't want to throw money at their feet

9 21.95%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Penny Protest - or The Buffalo Penny Party

Buffalo "...and I've got a fine horse under me", NY
    That's the good thing about history...it repeats itself, so you don't miss much.

I'm going to take a passive aggressive approach to any sales tax increase…buy as little of anything that comes with a sales tax here in NY state.

Also, purchase as much as I can via the internet using money orders (no direct paper trail to me) and when out of state for other reasons....shop.

WNYR mentioned that by doing so I'd be punishing local businesses...sorry, but if you do have a business in this county and you charge sales tax you should be banging down you local legislators door expressing your displeasure with such an increase.
    The difference between taxes and robbery is the mode of coercion.

I'm 100% with you gubmentcheez. I was talking with my wife about this idea, and your suggestion about the "Severance Penny," and here's what she suggested:

Get clear plastic drums labelled things like "BPO" "Albright Knox" "Buffal Zoo" "Parks" "Sherrifs" "Prosecutors" etc. Get the leaders of those organizations involved (Falletta, Galivan, Clark) to stand behind their drums as people put their pennies in. Also have drums for "Pork" "Patronage" "Politics as Usual" - an ad hoc referrendum if you will to serve as both a visual for the news media, the twits in office, and as the capital foundation of the grass-roots movement you suggest.

And let's remember - change does not come without sacrifice or drama. If the goons are disposed to arrest people, I hope to be one of them. I refuse to sit idly as my money is wasted. I suspect everyone here feels likewise.

It's time to take back our community.

The county bills are due and without the penny, we property owners get the shaft, 100% of it.

Over the last twenty years, we have completely reversed the ratio of self-generated income to public support. By 2004, the Zoo was responsible for 65% of its $5.1 million budget with about 30% coming from Erie County.
    The Buffalo Zoo
    Click on Zoo News

This is a good sourse of information about the Buffalo Zoo, including the loss of $1.4 million in Erie County Funding.

[/i]
    I'm going to take a passive aggressive approach to any sales tax increase…buy as little of anything that comes with a sales tax here in NY state... Also, purchase as much as I can via the internet using money orders (no direct paper trail to me) and when out of state for other reasons....shop.

As wise men believe, you're either part of the problem or you're part of the solution. Where do you think you fit?

Its amazing how people demand all the services money can buy, and they continue to reelect total incompetence, and then they whine and accuse when the bill comes due.

Then they tell you of their scheme to buy their goods elsewhere for the purpose of evading their fair share of the tax thats required to pay for it all.

Its amazing how people demand all the services money can buy, and they continue to reelect total incompetence, and then they whine and accuse when the bill comes due.

You don't know that NoCtUrNaL is doing this.

Generally speaking... comments not directed to anyone specifically.

As for myself, I didn't vote for Giambra in the last election, so to say that I helped put this guy back in his County Seat and then I whine about all the cuts being impossed; it is a poor assumption on your part out sheer frustration.

If members see the post I put in about the Buffalo Zoo, it is just an example to show other viewers here that people are NOT demanding 100% funding of the County for these special interests. From what I read on the site the ZOO has increased thier self-generated income. They have currently raised their admissions to off-set what will lack in County help.

The libraries, the parks, the sheriff's dept. etc. are different entities than the Zoo, the BPO, Albright Knox, ect.

If it means cutting a million from the Zoo to keep the Sherrif's department afloat then I say public safety is more important than looking at wild animals. However, culturals are not 'demanding' 100% funding from the County and the learning advantages are far greater than bloated personnel departments in County Governments.

For the past year that I have actively posting here I have come to one very important factor... There is no such thing as free lunches.

Originally posted by Boost Buffalo
    As wise men believe, you're either part of the problem or you're part of the solution. Where do you think you fit?

Then they tell you of their scheme to buy their goods elsewhere for the purpose of evading their fair share of the tax thats required to pay for it all.

The problem is bloated inefficient government.

The solution is to stop paying for it.

With the exception of roads and their maintenance...I can't even think of another government service I use...let alone need.

Anyway, for every scheme the government can concoct to rob me of my hard earned there is a counter scheme to avoid it.

right, and you obviously don't own real estate in Erie County. The bills will be paid, running and hiding wont help. Evading the taxes only makes the other guy pay your share.

The Rath Building is full of non-business people conducting business with over a billion dollars to spend, annually, and the ability to leverage even more.

And evidently these unqualified businessmen also lack ethics or even understand the concept, for that matter. So not only is it pure incompetence, its also purely unethical.

And they get nominated and re-reelected. So who's at fault?

It's the fault of the voter who has allowed government to grow to this extent. This is why I think the only solution to this mess is through elections.
    -r

right, and you obviously don't own real estate in Erie County. The bills will be paid, running and hiding wont help. Evading the taxes only makes the other guy pay your share.

Whether you own property or rent, you still pay property taxes, the latter is simply done through your landlord.

As to paying taxes:

1. I pay taxes

2. I rarely use government services. Hell, I'd be hard pressed to tell you what "services" they provide.

Let me know what services you might think I use/need from the government and I'll tell ya why I haven't and don't.

The Rath Building is full of non-business people conducting business with over a billion dollars to spend, annually, and the ability to leverage even more.

And evidently these unqualified businessmen also lack ethics or even understand the concept, for that matter. So not only is it pure incompetence, its also purely unethical.

And they get nominated and re-reelected. So who's at fault?
    Originally posted by RobSmith
    It's the fault of the voter who has allowed government to grow to this extent. This is why I think the only solution to this mess is through elections.
    I think we've had elections...they don't seem to be solving any problems.

As for your average voter...most of them spend 50+ hours a week trying to make a living...they don't have allot of leisurely time to baby sit their elected officials.

The reason we keep electing the same people is:

The county political elite have a stranglehold on the nomination process, so we are forced to choose between bad and worse.
    The shortest distance between two politicians is thru your wallet.

I agree with all of the above statements. I don't believe change is possible on anything but the November ballot. The political elite can only do so much against a populist uprising there.

Thus far elections have failed us. But it's the candidates and the party's that are the issue and not the process itself.
    -r

Thumbs down

Firstly, to "Boost Buffalo" - I started this thread to suggest/explore a means of protest. Kindly find something constructive to add to that end - in short, be a "Booster" - or please take your flame fest to more appropriate environs.

Secondly, for the record I am property owner, business owner and one who voted for neither Giambra or Masiello in their reelections. Though I see no reason why it should matter. Making that distinction is like saying only those in first class had a right to rescue on the Titanic. And if that's how you feel, this discussion is not for you, because sink or swim, we all have a stake in this.

Thirdly, one does not need to know the sins of county government chapter-and-verse to know that there's a great deal that is VERY wrong here, and accordingly stage/participate in a movement to do something about it. Case in point, if the county can't afford all of the things that government is supposed to guarantee - law enforcement, libraries, public works, cultural institutions, or in other words, safety, education and quality of life - then the question becomes "who IS benefitting from my tax dolllars?" The executive and legislature have failed in their responsibility. It's time for them to feel the brunt of our displeasure.

So now that's over with - to get back on track, does anyone have further CONSTRUCTIVE input on the Penny Party, or is this the wrong forum to inspire people to action?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information