Thread: Student uniforms take hold in Buffalo schools

Student uniforms take hold in Buffalo schools

A dramatic increase in the use of school uniforms has given the Buffalo Public Schools a fresh new look and a growing sense of community.

Just three years ago, only one city school required students to wear uniforms or matching outfits. Now 31 of 66 schools — or 47 percent of Buffalo’s classroom buildings — have those requirements.

That growth is driven by a widespread sense that uniforms eliminate peer pressure to wear the most trendy clothes and that students are better able to concentrate on their work when style and fashion are removed from the equation.

For those reasons and others, uniforms have become a big hit among families in the school system, Superintendent James A. Williams said.
    “A lot of parents are calling and asking: ‘Why can’t our children have uniforms?’ ” he said. “Catholic school students wear uniforms, and charter school students wear uniforms. So why can’t we have them? I think it’s great.”

Before mandating uniforms, Buffalo schools must survey parents or guardians of at least 85 percent of their students. Of those surveyed, 80 percent must agree to the requirements in writing.

While uniform policies are concentrated largely at Buffalo’s elementary and middle schools, four high schools — Bennett, Lafayette, Burgard and East — also have them.

http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregion/story/440277.html
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Quote Originally Posted by steven
    A dramatic increase in the use of school uniforms has given the Buffalo Public Schools a fresh new look and a growing sense of community.

Just three years ago, only one city school required students to wear uniforms or matching outfits. Now 31 of 66 schools — or 47 percent of Buffalo’s classroom buildings — have those requirements.

That growth is driven by a widespread sense that uniforms eliminate peer pressure to wear the most trendy clothes and that students are better able to concentrate on their work when style and fashion are removed from the equation.

For those reasons and others, uniforms have become a big hit among families in the school system, Superintendent James A. Williams said.
    “A lot of parents are calling and asking: ‘Why can’t our children have uniforms?’ ” he said. “Catholic school students wear uniforms, and charter school students wear uniforms. So why can’t we have them? I think it’s great.”

Before mandating uniforms, Buffalo schools must survey parents or guardians of at least 85 percent of their students. Of those surveyed, 80 percent must agree to the requirements in writing.

While uniform policies are concentrated largely at Buffalo’s elementary and middle schools, four high schools — Bennett, Lafayette, Burgard and East — also have them.

http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregion/story/440277.html
    On the whole I think that the uniforms are a good idea, however I worked in the Bennett and East last year and it was ridiculous. Shirts didnt have to be tucked in or buttoned, pants worn around the ass and so on. Whats the point?
    "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson

Steven...isn't your son in East? What do you think about it?

I gotta say, as a student I would have hated the idea on principle, but it would have been a lot easier on me as I couldn't afford the "trendy clothes." But I think most educators would tell you, uniforms take away a large non-education emphasis and focus in the schools.
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

The idea that you can miraculously transform a school by forcing students to wear certain clothes is ridiculous. It is obvious that Williams et al are looking for anything to justify their continued time at the helm of the failing schools.

Quote Originally Posted by run4it
    Steven...isn't your son in East? What do you think about it?

I gotta say, as a student I would have hated the idea on principle, but it would have been a lot easier on me as I couldn't afford the "trendy clothes." But I think most educators would tell you, uniforms take away a large non-education emphasis and focus in the schools.
    I think its great.

Anything that emphasizes your their to learn and this is your "job" is something I support
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

i LOVE the idea - for all public schools.

BUT - who provides them? what if mom and dad dont buy them or cant afford to purchase them - where do they come from???

I wish my suburb had them - - - - - -
    Colleen
    Realtor

Visit My Website

are they made from kevlar?
    Vote for freedom, not political parties.
    Politicians need to cut spending

Quote Originally Posted by CAugust
    i LOVE the idea - for all public schools.

BUT - who provides them? what if mom and dad dont buy them or cant afford to purchase them - where do they come from???

I wish my suburb had them - - - - - -
    You have to pay for them yourself but with the price of jeans and fashionable sneakers its a bargain

Quote Originally Posted by steven
    You have to pay for them yourself but with the price of jeans and fashionable sneakers its a bargain
    while I agree with you on the cost - how many city school parents would foot the bill? or make the time? as well as suburban? there are kids in my district that dont come in w the supplies asked for....I am not in the city - but I would myself foot the bill if it was mandatory - - - - - - no questions asked - and I would welcome it

this wont be popular - but I would welcome my tax dollars paid for it as well, and if your kid has a uniform and doesnt wear it to school - the parents get a fine...

but it wont fly or work
    Colleen
    Realtor

Visit My Website

while I agree with you on the cost - how many city school parents would foot the bill? or make the time? as well as suburban? there are kids in my district that dont come in w the supplies asked for....I am not in the city - but I would myself foot the bill if it was mandatory - - - - - - no questions asked - and I would welcome it

this wont be popular - but I would welcome my tax dollars paid for it as well, and if your kid has a uniform and doesnt wear it to school - the parents get a fine...

but it wont fly or work
    What schools do is poll the parents. If 80% or more of the parents want uniforms, the school adopts a uniform policy.
    Since Buffalo has switched to a "school of choice" policy, the school has the power to tell the parents that by sending their child to that school, they are "choosing" to dress their kid in a uniform. If they don't, the child can't attend that school.
    There are deep discounts for uniforms. Usually a school will try to pair up with a merchant such as target or wal mart, etc. The merchant will charge significantly less for the uniform because they are getting a bulk sale of them.
    The school has a few extra uniforms for kids that might for get theirs. Usually they're too big or small....which is good because the kid looks stupid in it and they don't forget to wear their uniform the next day.

City parents send their kids to school with extremely expensive clothing. If they can afford hundreds of dollars for shoes and outfits, they can afford a few bucks for a uniform. I like and dislike your fine idea. IMO if the child has a uniform and just doesnt wear it, the child should be disciplined. If the parents refuse to buy it, they need to choose a different school for their child.
    Obviously a complicated situation in a suburban school where there is usually one one school. There must be some way to push it to get parents that are against it on board.

I know the biggest argument is "It takes away individuality." That is the most insane argument I have ever heard. If you think your child's individuality is determined by their clothes, you have some serious errors in thinking. Plus, that's just sad. You're saying your kid has no inner personality!

The school I teach in has a uniform policy. (The one I was in the last 6 years doesnt.) Even though I'm not teaching, I've been trying to interact with the kids and get to know them. Guess what? They are all dressed the same, but they are all their own person. They're not mindless drones. I've learned just as much if not more about them in their uniforms as I would if they were wearing clothes. The one difference: They don't get prejudged. And don't tell me that people don't get prejudged. We prejudge everyone, whether we want to admit it or not. We are constantly looking at people and passing judgement on them. I like not hearing jokes about a kids shoes or clothes.

It's a nice change.
    http://www.buffaloreuse.org/~kool aid free zone~

but it wont fly or work
    Huh?

It does fly. If you are not in the uniform you cant enter the school

Thread Information